Alex Van Halen 1st Interview Since Ed’s Death

• Thread starter Thread starter PurityS.L.G
  • Start date Start date
PurityS.L.G
PurityS.L.G
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...van-halen-brothers-book-interview-1235129960/

Figured you guys would appreciate this. Quite a perspective I must say. Lots of good info.

My biggest take away is Diamond Dave can fucking eat a dick. Why on earth would you ever disagree and flip out on displaying an Ed slideshow during your shows to pay tribute to arguably THE single biggest piece of the band? Pantera doesn’t seem to have any problems with paying tribute to their fallen members every show. Daves has always been about Dave. I’m sure the Dave dick riders will disagree and call me out. I welcome it…

If you hire a guy like Dave for your band because he is an outrageous, larger than live guy...and then get mad for him being that, I don't know what to tell you. Anyway, Gary Cherone was their best frontman.

DRL has always had LSD. The entire band was made up of crazy personalities.... and then there was Mike. lol But they made some absolutely killer music that we get to treasure for lifetimes.

DRL has always had LSD. The entire band was made up of crazy personalities.... and then there was Mike. lol But they made some absolutely killer music that we get to treasure for lifetimes.
For sure but his ego wasn't as big as his accomplishments. The man was a workaholic.

He was right about everything. I gained some respect for him after reading that.
I’ll definitely be buying the book. I’d love to hear all those jam sessions he has recorded too.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...van-halen-brothers-book-interview-1235129960/

Figured you guys would appreciate this. Quite a perspective I must say. Lots of good info.

My biggest take away is Diamond Dave can fucking eat a dick. Why on earth would you ever disagree and flip out on displaying an Ed slideshow during your shows to pay tribute to arguably THE single biggest piece of the band? Pantera doesn’t seem to have any problems with paying tribute to their fallen members every show. Daves has always been about Dave. I’m sure the Dave dick riders will disagree and call me out. I welcome it…
I am a Dave fan but huge dick move. I mean the thought of it really goes to the core of Roth's narcissism.

I think what is telling though is he and Alex are still friends, still stay in touch. Further as Alex said, the magic was the original VH and If I read correctly, Alex never really got over the dissolution of the original band. Sounded as if he was just following Ed through the Hagar years.

In the end, I'm kinda glad the whole thing fell apart. Dave can't sing anymore, he's a shell of himself and it probably has done Alex more good to get away from it all.

It's also apparent how he feels about Sammy Hagar. One thing is for sure, Sammy will put his spin on it.

Mike is and was a phenomenal bass player. He’s every bit on the same iconic level as say Page/Jones, Tony/Geezer or Tommy Shannon/SRV… a bass players bad player.

I am a Dave fan but huge dick move. I mean the thought of it really goes to the core of Roth's narcissism.

I think what is telling though is he and Alex are still friends, still stay in touch. Further as Alex said, the magic was the original VH and If I read correctly, Alex never really got over the dissolution of the original band. Sounded as if he was just following Ed through the Hagar years.

In the end, I'm kinda glad the whole thing fell apart. Dave can't sing anymore, he's a shell of himself and it probably has done Alex more good to get away from it all.

It's also apparent how he feels about Sammy Hagar.
Yeah and unfortunately it appears he won’t go into why in the book. He doesn’t even mention him by name. I’d sure like to know what all that’s about.

Reactions: Geo
No real mention on the fallout with SH. Really want to know why.. It probably blew up on that tour when EVH was out of his mind.. Family will usually always side with family no matter what..

Yeah and unfortunately it appears he won’t go into why in the book. He doesn’t even mention him by name. I’d sure like to know what all that’s about.
Obviously this is all my opinion but Sammy is a carpetbagger. Nobody has capitalized on the VH name more than Sam. He's repeatedly lied in interviews about which version was bigger as well.

Also I think there is some business stuff that went down with the two parties, I still think the Van Halens thought they got the short end of the stick of the whole Cabo thing. Sam says they didn't. But yes, if his name isn't mentioned the entire book, that'd be crazy. I kinda read it as for just this interview.

Looking forward to the book.

Baloney!!! Really listen to the first 5 albums during the Templeman era when the bass could really be heard, Mike is an animal! He plays perfect counterpoint lines to Ed. Super simple, and all Groove. Every bit on par with JPJ.
Dude, I have listened to them for 40 years and I’ve been a working bass player for 40 years. He’s not even anywhere near JPJ level. JPJ level is a dot to him. He fit the band and is a decent bass player, but he’s not a great bass player.

No real mention on the fallout with SH. Really want to know why.. It probably blew up on that tour when EVH was out of his mind.. Family will usually always side with family no matter what..
According to Sammy it was a manager thing.

Back