5150-style amp GAS: Wondering whether a Peavey Invective would scratch the itch

nightlight
nightlight
I've been looking into getting a 5150-style amp for some time now, since it is one of the defining sounds of metal. Used to have a 5153 50-watt and couldn't gel with it because I thought it sounded like a fizzy mess.

Now looking into the larger 100-watt and above models to see if they are more to my taste. In doing so, I also checked out more videos of the Peavey Invective, and it checked a lot of boxes for me. 5150 block letter voicing, in-built boost and noise gate, good clean channel.

I was simultaneously considering a trade deal for a used 5150 III 100-watt model. Meanwhile, there's a Peavey 6505 that's also on sale near me.

Kind of wondering whether I should jump the gun and trade for the 5150 or buy the Peavey, when it seems (to me at least) that the Invective is a better amp all around. I would have to pay cash instead of trading, but I can always do it down the line and there's no rush.

Thoughts and opinions? I really do like the Invective, to be honest. Seems like an upgraded version of the 5150 for the modern era.

IMO the invective is more original sounding peavey 5150 over the newer fender 5150III models.

for something really cheap, a Bugera 333XL might do it? I'm tempted given the price, even thought it's a Bugera. Supposedly it's comparable to a Peavey XXX. Not sure how it compares to the Invective?

Compared an invective straight up against an old block letter and the block letter ate it for breakfast. Just sounded bigger and more pissed off. The invective was misha’s signature and he admitted he created it just to be a slave power amp for his axe fx.

I actually recommend the newer 1992 reissue 5150 peavey did even though it’s made in China. It’s going to do what you want and sound good doing it.

I've been looking into getting a 5150-style amp for some time now, since it is one of the defining sounds of metal. Used to have a 5153 50-watt and couldn't gel with it because I thought it sounded like a fizzy mess.

Now looking into the larger 100-watt and above models to see if they are more to my taste. In doing so, I also checked out more videos of the Peavey Invective, and it checked a lot of boxes for me. 5150 block letter voicing, in-built boost and noise gate, good clean channel.

I was simultaneously considering a trade deal for a used 5150 III 100-watt model. Meanwhile, there's a Peavey 6505 that's also on sale near me.

Kind of wondering whether I should jump the gun and trade for the 5150 or buy the Peavey, when it seems (to me at least) that the Invective is a better amp all around. I would have to pay cash instead of trading, but I can always do it down the line and there's no rush.

Thoughts and opinions? I really do like the Invective, to be honest. Seems like an upgraded version of the 5150 for the modern era.
The reissue 1992 5150/6505 or the older 6505's - like the original OG5150, you're gonna have to move some air to get them rocking. Terrible master volume. I'd straight up have a 1992 right now if they had fixed the master volume for the reissue. The OG5150 is my second favorite amp of all time. My main amp for over a decade back in the day.

Compared an invective straight up against an old block letter and the block letter ate it for breakfast. Just sounded bigger and more pissed off. The invective was misha’s signature and he admitted he created it just to be a slave power amp for his axe fx.

I actually recommend the newer 1992 reissue 5150 peavey did even though it’s made in China. It’s going to do what you want and sound good doing it.

Yep, came here to say this as well

I've obviously had reliability issues with mine, but as far as sound it is legitimately EXACTLY a block letter

The invective is a good amp. but it makes in comparison to other evh style amps as far as the core tone

There's a reason I got a 1992 instead

I would only get the invective if the new/added features are exactly what you need - like, you HAVE to have midi, or you HAVE to have a pristine clean channel.

It's a good amp for sure, but it isn't even close to worth the extra the extra thousand dollars imo

And if you really need that much versatility with the 5150 tone just get a modeler honestly

My two cents, as I recently debated getting one and played a bunch of the options

The reissue 1992 5150/6505 or the older 6505's - like the original OG5150, you're gonna have to move some air to get them rocking. Terrible master volume. I'd straight up have a 1992 right now if they had fixed the master volume for the reissue. The OG5150 is my second favorite amp of all time.

This is a good point

One reason I went with the 1992 is because I am using it in a band context and it's always loud (like at least 4 on the MV)

If you want quiet or low volume with any of these amps, get a modeler or have an ox or something

This is a good point

One reason I went with the 1992 is because I am using it in a band context and it's always loud (like at least 4 on the MV)

If you want quiet or low volume with any of these amps, get a modeler or have an ox or something
Yep. In this day and age of great master volumes I'm surprised, then again it's Peavey so not surprised why they didn't fix that. I get it, reissue etc... but still a great MV is just too important in this day and age of big amps. Not like Peavey can't do it because the JSX had a great MV.

My trick back in the day, I could control the overall output with my rack effect, so for home playing I'd could crank the map normally and control the output with my rack effect.

I thought about getting the JHS Little Black Box when buying the 1992, that would do the trick, stick that in the loop, crank the amp and lower the pedal volume. The OX, Power Station, just more stuff I don't want to mess with at this point.

I'll be letting my EVH 50W Stealth go soon, great little amp just never bonded with it, and probably getting the Synergy Head and the 6505 module. Of all the things out, the Synergy stuff has continued to peak my interest. And then they hit with the 6505, very interesting.

Yep. In this day and age of great master volumes I'm surprised, then again it's Peavey so not surprised why they didn't fix that. I get it, reissue etc... but still a great MV is just too important in this day and age of big amps. Not like Peavey can't do it because the JSX had a great MV.

My trick back in the day, I could control the overall output with my rack effect, so for home playing I'd could crank the map normally and control the output with my rack effect.

I thought about getting the JHS Little Black Box when buying the 1992, that would do the trick, stick that in the loop, crank the amp and lower the pedal volume. The OX, Power Station, just more stuff I don't want to mess with at this point.

I'll be letting my EVH 50W Stealth go soon, great little amp just never bonded with it, and probably getting the Synergy Head and the 6505 module. Of all the things out, the Synergy stuff has continued to peak my interest. And then they hit with the 6505, very interesting.
The synergy seems like a good low volume option, for sure

Honestly for low volume stuff I use a Kemper profile of my amps and it works way better than trying to play a 100w tube amp quietly 🤷

If you don't want a modeler an ir setup would probably be the best sounding way to incorporate your amp tho. With an ox or torpedo or suhr reative load etc

Thoughts from owning three OG 5150, an OG 5150-III and now the 5150 III 100S. The original Peavey 5150 is a beast of am amp, and has shaped the sound of metal and hard rock since it was released. I think it sounds best with V30 speakers. And yes, it does need to be loud to get the magic sauce out of it. It does one thing very well. I view this amp as a single channel amp.

The EVH 5150 III is a more modern take on the 5150 tone. The mids are more friendly, IMHO. There is a noticeable difference in tone between the 50 and 100 watt versions. The 100 is just bigger sounding and less boxy. This is a true multi-channel amp. The cleans are very usable. It pairs well with the matching cab and V30 loaded cabs. Again, you need some volume to get the fizz out. At least 8:00 on the volume. By 10:00 you're killing small animals...lol!

I've only played the Invective once. I was not impressed.

A 6L6 Stealth will absolutely stab you.
Seriously loud as well

for something really cheap, a Bugera 333XL might do it? I'm tempted given the price, even thought it's a Bugera. Supposedly it's comparable to a Peavey XXX. Not sure how it compares to the Invective?

You can get a brand new 6262 on reverb still for $729 shipped

Back