I trust you tone experts here. Help me pick a Marshall head!

• Thread starter Thread starter romanianreaper
  • Start date Start date
Get a 2203 and boost it good . You’re not topping that sound

There are a few DSL's for sale locally to me right now for:

100H - $645
100HR - $650
2000 - $950

Cheap enough to buy and sell if the DSL doesn't work for you. Yes, I do like my JCM800 a bit better with some boosts, but those Marshall's are not anywhere near under $1,000. Clones can be found around there though.

Again...Find a DSL for $600 - $800, add a boost...Lots of great Marshall tones right there...CHEAP.

I think I might get a Ceritone Chupacabra. I heard a clip yesterday and made my mouth water...

Reactions: Geo
I have an EVH 5150-III 6L6, Orange Super Crush 100, and Quilter power amp...but I love that Marshall tone. You guys know tones and really looking to pin down something. Here is what I'm looking for:

- Loud enough for gigs but able to be bedroom amp at home
- Around $700-$1500
- Something that captures everything from early 80s rock to hair metal, etc.

Thanks!!! RR
Based on this...I say JVM.

One of the best Master Volumes you'll find on an amp so bedroom is no problem. It does 80's to straight up heavy as you want. Can be found for those prices as well. I would lean the 410 because you get the jewel of that amp line, the OD 1 channel with the three modes which is not on the 205 or 210. Further with OD 2, you can dial some plexish type tones and show by John Segeborn. Not many tricks with the JVM except to run your channel volumes high, the MV's do not push the power section harder - that is per it's designer Santiago.

I grew up with Marshalls, my first amps were 2203's and 2204's and when I came back to Marshall, this was the amp that got me back. Obviously this is all what works for me.

Man that sounds glorious. Do those things need to be cranked to get that tone?
unfortunately, i haven't played one. This video is good as well. Apparently the amp volume is all over the place depending on the various voicings. I have watched this at least ten times.

Wait for the new Marshall Fire Breather 100 they are releasing. Coming this year 🔥 Hotrod erandondo tones.

The Marshall Vintage Modern 2466 100w or 2266 50w is the greatest Marshall ever made in my opinion and does everything you ask. It sounds pretty good at bedroom levels and when you crank it (find the sweet spot with the master volume) its a JCM800 killer.

Just make sure and run the detail pre-gain higher than the body pre-gain by several notches and you'll never find a bad tone.

Back