📊Opinions on the AXE-fx III in 2024?

• Thread starter Thread starter ChuggNorris
  • Start date Start date

In 2024, when it comes to the AXE well:

• I sold my amps because it was too close in the room.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • I sold the AXEfx, it was great, but l missed glowing tubes.

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • If I was touring, axe fx is the way to go. Period. I've heard the difference.

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • I had one for a while, and I got options paralysis.

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • It was incredible. But the amp crushed it in the room.

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Never tried one, It's on the list still though. After 13 more tube amps.

• I couldn't hear a difference, felt legit. I just prefer tubes.

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • I couldn't hear a difference, felt legit. Saves my tubes.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • I like to run both at the same time because I can't decide.

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • I have never tried one, but still, fuck that. Tubes til death.

• Total voters
Yea…if the stage is big enough….yet you don’t care about a stage, or playing music in the first place because you are worried about what an amp sounds like in a room only..

Tell me you’ve never played a gig worth a shit, without telling me you’ve never played a gig worth a shit…..
One thing that does annoy me is the attitude that only gigs and recording matter. Who cares unless it is used "in the real world"

I would argue there are far more people who play in thier bedrooms for fun, and in the room feel and tone is extremely important for a huge percentage of players in general. Many people don't care about gigs and recording.

Why I still use mine:

1. MIDI auto-patch switching
2. No pedals or cables on stage
3. Crystal clear IEM or FRFR wedge monitoring
4. Can run a tube amp and cab from the output 2 with no cab sim for moving air and feedback
5. Audience don't care
6. Reliable, consistent and instant
7. Can run hugely complicated tempo based patches with delays, synths, pitch etc

The last thing I'm thinking of on stage is what upset dudes on a forum think.

Keep thrust pumping your studio in every thread like anyone here cares. The only logic in this thread is that you’re a tool that can’t comprehend people are allowed to hate whatever gear they like.

And speaking of call outs. I’ve heard your shit playing and you definitely dont deserve half the crap in your collection or your e dick studio. Money doesn’t buy talent which you haven’t learned yet and likely never will ☕️

Oh dude no doubt, I’m half the player I used to be. But I’d rather be that than a moron who has zero critical thinking skills and obviously is poor as fuck on top of it. 😂

One thing that does annoy me is the attitude that only gigs and recording matter. Who cares unless it is used "in the real world"

I would argue there are far more people who play in thier bedrooms for fun, and in the room feel and tone is extremely important for a huge percentage of players in general. Many people don't care about gigs and recording.

That is very true, I totally agree with you. But they usually aren’t so naive to be so opinionated and small minded about things they clearly know nothing about either. Which is a common issue here, as evidenced by a few peoples moronic logic and comments.

This is the honest truth and it’s very revealing. I had an Axe III and fryette LXII at one point, and I did a lot of testing with it. Can it sound great? Yeah, it totally can. Does it sound as good as the amp it models? No, not currently. Maybe one day.

What is “ lots of testing”?

Keep thrust pumping your studio in every thread like anyone here cares. The only logic in this thread is that you’re a tool that can’t comprehend people are allowed to hate whatever gear they like.

And speaking of call outs. I’ve heard your shit playing and you definitely dont deserve half the crap in your collection or your e dick studio. Money doesn’t buy talent which you haven’t learned yet and likely never will ☕️
Dude, WTF? Shit playing? Hate? Deserve lol? Sounds like you have some demons my man--who gets emotional and throws insults over a discussion about an amp modeler? One from what I can tell you have no experience with at all? 🤷‍♂️

I do both. Tube amp/preamp dry. And wet signal using an FX8 or AxeFx2
Only use post preamp effects. I use pedals into pre if needed. All midi through so one click and shit changes settings

@VESmedic serious question...why do you only have tube amps in your sig and not the axe fx 3 :ROFLMAO: ?

jokes aside, i've been thinking about getting one just for practicing...no point in burning tubes for that. plus something like the FM3 would be way more mobile and easy to move around lol

@VESmedic serious question...why do you only have tube amps in your sig and not the axe fx 3 :ROFLMAO: ?

jokes aside, i've been thinking about getting one just for practicing...no point in burning tubes for that. plus something like the FM3 would be way more mobile and easy to move around lol

Honestly? I never owned one. I have a buddy who is pretty well off and doesn’t play much but has a shit ton of gear, and he let me borrow it for about a year before he forgot I had it 😂 literally that’s the only reason, i fully plan to get one soon, just haven’t gotten around to it, and im kinda waiting for the prices to drop on the mk 2 model alittle bit.

Honestly? I never owned one. I have a buddy who is pretty well off and doesn’t play much but has a shit ton of gear, and he let me borrow it for about a year before he forgot I had it 😂 literally that’s the only reason, i fully plan to get one soon, just haven’t gotten around to it, and im kinda waiting for the prices to drop on the mk 2 model alittle bit.

oh right on, yea i'm kind of wondering how far away the axe 4 is lol

I almost bought one like two weeks ago that was a steal of a price and this was in the back of my head. Bought a quad cortex instead because it was a steal at 1000 bucks. Capture feature is pretty damn cool.

very cool, have thought about that one as well! i just want something cheap to practice with...lol pretty sure i'm just gonna end up with a katana combo lol

Well, that’s always speculated and I reallyyyyy try not going down that rabbit hole because it’ll make you crazy. I try to tell myself a great sounding amp/ modeler today will be a great sounding modeler/amp in 10 years. But I also think it’ll take some decent amount of time for people to stop thinking like this, because I think many people like myself who are hyper critical with tone etc ( much like many people here of course) are just now starting to see in the last half a decade or so that modeling is truly “there” now. For what it’s worth I was never into the axe until the 3 came out personally. I always felt the high end on the older models was just totally off from the real thing and were just too dark compared to the amps they were modeling. I don’t feel that way with the axe 3 in the least. It’s truly there in my personal opinion and I’m not sure how it could sound any better at this point. Cliff tweaks things here and there with the algorithms, sure. But nothing he’s doing now is worlds different than the previous firmware by any means. The older models the firmware upgrades were often drastic changes. Cliff recently changed the algorithms with how certain phase inverters on certain amps behave, and did a few tweaks on all the models prior to that. Are they better sounding? Sure I think so, everything is more raw sounding and alittle more “out of control” like a real amp is ( a plexi on 10 for instance). is it worlds different than before? Absolutely not, but it’s nice to know Cliff is continuously obsessive about making the best amp modeler on the planet, which is how he started in the first place.

Prior to that, I used a kemper live every week all over the east coast of the country, and it was great for the gigs I was doing and what the artist required for his show/sound. Playing at “that” level ( whatever you wanna call it, where someone is basically the “boss” and you are hired to play ), things like “in the room” tones or other catch phrases that describe nothing but guitar player masterbation and selfishness, requires you to think outside of your own box and head, and realize what is important and why people are there to watch in the first place: the band, the songs, and the sound as a whole. A modeler will always win in that category for me, especially with the axe 3 and how good it is to me. The consistency factor for a rehearsed show with an FOH guy that is being paid a lot of money to make you sound good, is infinitely more important at that stage, it just is. If I was Keith urban or slash would I use real amps? Of course I would! Who wouldn’t with resources like that. Anything less than that level? I’m going for consistency and reliability everytime. My goal was always to make my tone as good as possible before it hits the FOH, so if something is off, I can safely say I did everything I could do to make the FOH’s job as easy as possible.

Dude, WTF? Shit playing? Hate? Deserve lol? Sounds like you have some demons my man--who gets emotional and throws insults over a discussion about an amp modeler? One from what I can tell you have no experience with at all? 🤷‍♂️
Hey! Internet warriors can play a D chord harder (and faster) than any of us!

Well, that’s always speculated and I reallyyyyy try not going down that rabbit hole because it’ll make you crazy. I try to tell myself a great sounding amp/ modeler today will be a great sounding modeler/amp in 10 years. But I also think it’ll take some decent amount of time for people to stop thinking like this, because I think many people like myself who are hyper critical with tone etc ( much like many people here of course) are just now starting to see in the last half a decade or so that modeling is truly “there” now. For what it’s worth I was never into the axe until the 3 came out personally. I always felt the high end on the older models was just totally off from the real thing and were just too dark compared to the amps they were modeling. I don’t feel that way with the axe 3 in the least. It’s truly there in my personal opinion and I’m not sure how it could sound any better at this point. Cliff tweaks things here and there with the algorithms, sure. But nothing he’s doing now is worlds different than the previous firmware by any means. The older models the firmware upgrades were often drastic changes. Cliff recently changed the algorithms with how certain phase inverters on certain amps behave, and did a few tweaks on all the models prior to that. Are they better sounding? Sure I think so, everything is more raw sounding and alittle more “out of control” like a real amp is ( a plexi on 10 for instance). is it worlds different than before? Absolutely not, but it’s nice to know Cliff is continuously obsessive about making the best amp modeler on the planet, which is how he started in the first place.

Prior to that, I used a kemper live every week all over the east coast of the country, and it was great for the gigs I was doing and what the artist required for his show/sound. Playing at “that” level ( whatever you wanna call it, where someone is basically the “boss” and you are hired to play ), things like “in the room” tones or other catch phrases that describe nothing but guitar player masterbation and selfishness, requires you to think outside of your own box and head, and realize what is important and why people are there to watch in the first place: the band, the songs, and the sound as a whole. A modeler will always win in that category for me, especially with the axe 3 and how good it is to me. The consistency factor for a rehearsed show with an FOH guy that is being paid a lot of money to make you sound good, is infinitely more important at that stage, it just is. If I was Keith urban or slash would I use real amps? Of course I would! Who wouldn’t with resources like that. Anything less than that level? I’m going for consistency and reliability everytime. My goal was always to make my tone as good as possible before it hits the FOH, so if something is off, I can safely say I did everything I could do to make the FOH’s job as easy as possible.

i'm just a hobbyist at home so i dont need anything fancy...its a nice to have, not a need to have

how did you fare with the kemper? reliability wise?

The only one getting offended and throwing insults because I didn’t use his/her pronouns is VESMedic with this beautiful of a comment right here. All I said was you could tell a difference.

Yes, totally fuck everything dealing with literally the only way you’ve ever heard guitar with a band outside of a bar or in your bedroom, you make total sense, per usual.

And no…you wouldn’t be able to tell, you really think I couldn’t fool your ass? Really?

I didn’t start the bullshit so it’s not me who got offended or has a problem.

I'm new to modeling with the AXE III being my first Fractal (had it 3 years now), I have no idea how significant a leap it made over the previous models but after extensive use I just find it difficult to believe the axe 4 (if that's even really happening) would be that big of a leap forward, the 3 already sounds like the real deal in a full mix setting.

I actually plan on doing a few devious little experiments when/if a new model launches and share some tracks recorded with the III but claiming it's the 4 LOL and see how folks react! I could see it now: "Duuuude! Sounds killer, I need one!" :p:unsure::ROFLMAO:

The only one getting offended and throwing insults because I didn’t use his/her pronouns is VESMedic with this beautiful of a comment right here. All I said was you could tell a difference.

I didn’t start the bullshit so it’s not me who got offended or has a problem.

Yea homie, you’re right. You’re always so polite, I’m just singling you out, it’s all everyone else’s fault…”boo hoo he started it daddy, see?!”…..

Whose the liberal requiring pronouns now????

Back