0000 Steel wool revelation

• Thread starter Thread starter SpiderWars
  • Start date Start date
Been doing this for 25 years!

WARNING: use blue painters tape and mask off your pickups really well.
The micro-fibers shedding off the steel wool will make a mess of them if you don't.

note: didn't watch the whole video so he may have mentioned this.
Yes...he said; "And before anybody..." you can guess the rest. :cheers:

Another thing to keep in mind when using steel wool, is how you dispose of it. Make sure that it's in something like a zip lock bag, etc. If you throw bare steel wool in a garbage can, and then throw in something like a 9-volt battery later and it makes contact with the steel wool it will start a fire.

The voice coil of all speakers had metal shavings creating coil rubs.

Easily 9 out of 10 repairs for 'noisy speaker' is simply running a thick piece of double sided tape
around the voice coil gap to collect all the metal dust that's crept in.

It just sucks you have to destroy all of the soft parts to do it.

Easily 9 out of 10 repairs for 'noisy speaker' is simply running a thick piece of double sided tape
around the voice coil gap to collect all the metal dust that's crept in.

It just sucks you have to destroy all of the soft parts to do it.
The speakers that Chris fixed were not destroyed. They were 99% original with the dust covers being the only part replaced.... but with correct pieces. (y)

Are they labeled what grit they are? It looks like it's all just labeled #0000.
From what I've read, "grit" only applies to sandpaper.. steel wool with grade #0000 is described and being able to polish glass without scratching.

In the video, he's making an analogy between sandpaper and steel wool.

If you check out some woodworking forums, there's some good discussions about this analogy.

From what I've read, "grit" only applies to sandpaper.. steel wool with grade #0000 is described and being able to polish glass without scratching.

In the video, he's making an analogy between sandpaper and steel wool.

If you check out some woodworking forums, there's some good discussions about this analogy.
OK, that's what I thought. It's a distinction worth mentioning, for all these years I thought all #0000 steel wool had the same coarseness just like I thought all 2000 grit sandpaper had the same coarseness. So I would try my Rhodes #0000 and not get the results I was expecting and after a few tries I just always used sandpaper or polishing paper or more recently micromesh.

I just checked Philadelphia Luthier and Stewmac and neither sell steel wool at all. Further implying "just get the cheap stuff from Home Depot".

OK, that's what I thought. It's a distinction worth mentioning, for all these years I thought all #0000 steel wool had the same coarseness just like I thought all 2000 grit sandpaper had the same coarseness. So I would try my Rhodes #0000 and not get the results I was expecting and after a few tries I just always used sandpaper or polishing paper or more recently micromesh.

I just checked Philadelphia Luthier and Stewmac and neither sell steel wool at all. Further implying "just get the cheap stuff from Home Depot".
Wood workers say just use 2000 grit sandpaper..

your mileage may vary.

I remember the interviews with EVH where he talked about using steel wool to remove all the "gunk" off new guitar necks before he could play them. "I like it bare wood because I hate to slip and slide when I start stretching strings. "

For what's it's worth I've gotten just about as good a result using a combo of small squares of red and EDIT: grey Scotchbrite.

You gotta be carefull to use a super light touch though.

Last edited:
For what's it's worth I've gotten just about as good a result using a combo of small squares of red and green Scotchbrite.

You gotta be carefull to use a super light touch though.
I have the maroon/grey/white and white is allegedly the stuff similar to #0000. I don't think I'd ever use green, green is known to scratch pots/pans and blue is generally safe for pots/pans. Not familiar with red.

I don't think I'd ever use green.

Glad you mentioned this. I'm editing the post - thanks.
I use to have so much of the stuff around for various jobs.

You're right on white. This is smooth >> course.

What20color.jpg

I'd start with a very light red to roughen things and then smooth with grey.
I'd actually never seen white - or don't remember if I did.

Glad you mentioned this. I'm editing the post - thanks.
I use to have so much of the stuff around for various jobs.

You're right on white. This is smooth >> course.

What20color.jpg

I'd start with a very light red to roughen things and then smooth with grey.
I'd actually never seen white - or don't remember if I did.
You can practically buff with the white stuff. Useful but the grey is just fine for a guitar neck

You can practically buff with the white stuff. Useful but the grey is just fine for a guitar neck
Do you do anything to soften it? I tried the white and it didn't seem to be doing much with light pressure. And since that stuff has a stiffness to it I was always afraid to dig in. Steel wool is soft so it seems like it would be easier to use.

3M makes a 0000 steel wool in a small pad that you can get a 3pk for about $4.00. That roll he has in the video is about $30.00. You would never use that much in a lifetime unless you had a shop.

not that i'm aware of. i've used one on a suhr modern, fender EJ strat, and an xotic telecaster to great effect. no downside really, just pause every now and then to assess how much you've taken off.

What did you do to the Suhr neck?

Back