10 band eq....

• Thread starter Thread starter JackBootedThug
  • Start date Start date
OP, there’s a big difference between placing the EQ before the amp input versus placing it in the effects loop. In the loop allows you to tweak what you’re already used to hearing from the amp and has a more dramatic effect. Placing it before the amp is like reshaping how your actual guitar sounds before it’s amplified. In the loop is most common but before the amp can also be useful.

i agree, i think a lot of peoples amp problems would be solved with a simple notch or two adjustment with an eq in the loop, but i think a lot of people think their amp shouldnt need a $100 pedal in the loop to sound good :dunno:
This. Ppl selling amps ‘cause “it’s too dark”, “too scooped”, “too honky”. Preposterous. Find an amp with the gain structure and dynamic response you like and throw an EQ on that bitch. FFS.

I will say though, every amp should come with a post preamp graphic EQ,

OP, there’s a big difference between placing the EQ before the amp input versus placing it in the effects loop. In the loop allows you to tweak what you’re already used to hearing from the amp and has a more dramatic effect. Placing it before the amp is like reshaping how your actual guitar sounds before it’s amplified. In the loop is most common but before the amp can also be useful.
Yeah I’m using the built in graphic in the ms3…the cool thing about the ms3 is you can move it in the chain. Front of the amp or loop. I like what it does. My problem with these units is I like to just keep adding and adding to where my dual amp rig sounds like my art rack unit….washed out 80’s tones….

I like the MXR 10-band, but I wanted something that would let me store patches, so I went with the Source Audio EQ2:

View attachment 267348

you can also center the frequency bands on any frequency you want; and it also has a PEQ; and store them as patches.

most parametric eq for guitar are parallel filters; the EQ2 PEQ is set to parallel filters by default; however you can also set it to cascading filters, which is a whole other level of complexity ( experimented with it, but more than I need).

https://www.sourceaudio.net/blog/eq2-a-graphic-or-parametric-equalizer
I had one of these when they first came out. I was trying to use it to drive a stock JCM800. The pedal was farting out and I wasn’t even driving it hard. I made a post on The Gear Page and some guy from the company told me the EQ wasn’t designed to drive the amp like I was trying to do. He actually took my pedal back and gave me a refund.

I had one of these when they first came out. I was trying to use it to drive a stock JCM800. The pedal was farting out and I wasn’t even driving it hard. I made a post on The Gear Page and some guy from the company told me the EQ wasn’t designed to drive the amp like I was trying to do. He actually took my pedal back and gave me a refund.
was it the original EQ or the EQ2? I haven't experienced this issue with mine, and like you I don't push the output level too high, usually around +8 or as high as +10 (max boost/cut is 12 dB)

was it the original EQ or the EQ2? I haven't experienced this issue with mine, and like you I don't push the output level too high, usually around +8 or as high as +10 (max boost/cut is 12 dB)
It was the EQ2. It should have up to 30dB of boost/cut. The instructions even say to use it to boost an amp. It fell apart. I tried to see if I could find my posts on TGP but it looks like they were removed…probably because it put them in a bad light and you know, they can’t have that.

Reactions: rsm

Back