4x12 Back Panels

Has anybody tried particle board vs MDF? I didn't really know the difference but apparently MDF is made with smaller particles and is quite a bit more dense. MDF on top.

mdf-vs-particle-board.jpg

sg guy":e35bx8r7 said:
-great thread crazy nuts, one of my favorite topics...

-about half of what your hearing as an improvement-(and its not a subtle either, is indeed the Birch ply, the other 50% is the thickness of the Birch ply.

Well, the whole cab is originally Birch ply (even the back panel). I like the particle board back panel better than the plywood back panel. It's really more tight and punchy, bigger bass, every chord, and note sounds nice and focused at high volumes.

It's very interesting as it seem's people find similar, or subjectively better results with birch ply backs over particle board backs.

Placebo effect, possibly? Admittedly, I may be the one suffering from it. :)

SpiderWars":vtojaf5j said:
Has anybody tried particle board vs MDF? I didn't really know the difference but apparently MDF is made with smaller particles and is quite a bit more dense. MDF on top.

mdf-vs-particle-board.jpg

I had an ampeg cab back in the day, it had a MDF back. It sounded great. As to how it compares to particle, I might build a MDF back too.

Just my experience, but I've found the birch back panels to be livelier than the MDF/particle board back panels, but there may be a hair more bass to the MDF/particle board than birch.

I had a 68 slant cab I restored (a lot of work!), and it had more bass response/punch than any other slant I've ever had, and as much as a straight. It had the birch back panel, but extra bracing inside for the baffle.

I did have to reglue all of the corners inside, and fix a bunch of loose or stripped baffle board screws where they mounted in the baffle, though, too. After getting all that done, it was a monster sounding cab. Of course one of my clients heard it, offered me stupid money for it, and it lives in Canada now, where he still raves about it.

IMO, fixing the loose screws, and making sure the baffle/back panel/handle screws are all tight will add a lot to any cab's tone for being more solid.

I have two cabs made completely out of MDF. By far the tightest sounding cabs I have used. I have a friend that builds cabs out if various hardwoods. They sound great for leads and cleans. Chunky rhythms sound like crap on them because they have too much resonance. It's almost like having reverb on.

A lot of people don't realize identical cabs can sound very different. Each individual cab sounds different.

I have two cabs made completely out of MDF. By far the tightest sounding cabs I have used. I have a friend that builds cabs out if various hardwoods. They sound great for leads and cleans. Chunky rhythms sound like crap on them because they have too much resonance. It's almost like having reverb on.

A lot of people don't realize identical cabs can sound very different. Each individual cab sounds different.

Scumback Speakers":1erqux1i said:
Just my experience, but I've found the birch back panels to be livelier than the MDF/particle board back panels, but there may be a hair more bass to the MDF/particle board than birch.

I had a 68 slant cab I restored (a lot of work!), and it had more bass response/punch than any other slant I've ever had, and as much as a straight. It had the birch back panel, but extra bracing inside for the baffle.

I did have to reglue all of the corners inside, and fix a bunch of loose or stripped baffle board screws where they mounted in the baffle, though, too. After getting all that done, it was a monster sounding cab. Of course one of my clients heard it, offered me stupid money for it, and it lives in Canada now, where he still raves about it.

IMO, fixing the loose screws, and making sure the baffle/back panel/handle screws are all tight will add a lot to any cab's tone for being more solid.

Yeah, it's interesting. I have a Mesa 4x12, it's 100% birch and It really sounds lively, like it. I also have a Mojotone all birch 4x12 and it sounds a little dull to me, I don't find myself wanting to play it much.

That extra bracing in the slant cabs from the 60's is no joke. I have built that type of bracing for newer marshall cabs, and it is an improvement.

Not sure what it is about the Mojotone 4x12's. I've had about 12 of them, only three sounded right, even though they all looked the same. That's a go figure. I've still got one straight cab out in the shop that's good that I use for demos.

Scumback Speakers":22kgcu21 said:
Not sure what it is about the Mojotone 4x12's. I've had about 12 of them, only three sounded right, even though they all looked the same. That's a go figure. I've still got one straight cab out in the shop that's good that I use for demos.

Yeah, the plywood on my mojotone seems thinner, flimsy, less dense. It's supposed to be birch, but I can tell you it's not the same birch as what mesa, marshall, bogner, etc. uses.

-it can be 100% cabinet grade Baltic Birch, but if there's a center brace, the odds are good the baffle and back panel are thinner, usually 1/2"-(the wood is a crap shoot)- even without a center brace its usually thinner and & cheaper ply-(if your lucky)-

CrazyNutz":14i0tn43 said:
Scumback Speakers":14i0tn43 said:

Yeah, the plywood on my mojotone seems thinner, flimsy, less dense. It's supposed to be birch, but I can tell you it's not the same birch as what mesa, marshall, bogner, etc. uses.
I had one of those Mojotones and agree. I traded it to another forum member and he flipped it immediately for I assume same reason.

My favorite 2x12 is super lively and I love it with a clean Fender or semi dirty Vox. But I don't want that much liveliness with a dirty Marshall.

Back