5150III 50S Stealth vs standard 50 6L6

• Thread starter Thread starter harddriver
  • Start date Start date
I heard it was the 50w in both cases but I don't know that for sure. I'd love to get more accurate info if you have an interview link or something.

edit: hope that didn't come off as me being a smartass btw, I'm genuinely curious now. :)
Didn't sound smart ass at all. I believe i saw a studio video from that time & it was the 100 watt in the video......I also could be wrong.

I never got to try the Stealth models (dealer's been slacking), but the marketing scares me.

The OG 5153 50W was already "too much gain" for me with the gain set at 10:30 o'clock on the red channel, and the Stealth allegedly has even more gain.

Whew

Reactions: Geo
Seems like a properly biased stealth is killer

But the older plain 50’s might be the best bang for the buck in the whole high gain amp universe

Absolutely there was! I didn't like any of the EVH stuff when it was first released. Moving from the Peaveys took some time.
Every time I think the EVH sounds too tame, I try to remember that I kind of got bored with the Peavey grating upper mids. It sounds great when you just chug on the top string, but not so much when you play anything else. I owned old Block Logos for something like 15 years. I love them, but I appreciate that the EVHs are a little more balanced.

Yeah, I think over time I've adopted similar feelings on the amps. The 50S was the transition amp for me. It was the first one that I felt OK letting go of my 5152. Then when I got the 100S, that was it. It's the perfect high gain tone for me. I have a hard time going back to the Peaveys now because of exactly what you said. The grating upper mids can sound harsh sometimes. Also, I've noticed that in FL in the winter, when the humidity is lower, amps sound different, and those upper mids become harsh nightmare lol. Super weird how little things like that can change how you hear things. Anyway I love my 100S. I still keep the regular 50 around because I got it for so cheap, and it's way easier to carry to band practices twice a week lol. I agree, the 50 6l6 is probably the best value for high gain amps these days.

I never got to try the Stealth models (dealer's been slacking), but the marketing scares me.

The OG 5153 50W was already "too much gain" for me with the gain set at 10:30 o'clock on the red channel, and the Stealth allegedly has even more gain.

Whew
Agree 100%.

Stealth 100 is the beast . I use it live instead of taking a Hermanson or Wizard around

Ended up moving my Stealth for the MLC Vogg and haven’t looked back. Loved my Stealth but there’s something about the low end on the Vogg that set it apart from the Stealth. Can’t go wrong either way.

Back