80s lawsuit era Les Pauls

• Thread starter Thread starter Matt300ZXT
  • Start date Start date
I

I appreciate that info, now I have a reputable place to look for one, I've been thinking of buying a Japanese guitar lately and was always afraid because of the shipping distance, etc.
I think I've bought 3 directly from Ishibashi. They've gotten to me in less than 7 business days, no customs layover etc. Last one, I bought on a Tuesday evening and it arrived Friday 3pm from Tokyo. Insanely fast.

Yes the Japanese guitars are still better at their current price, or yes the Gibson is worth the extra $$?

I have had 2 Jap guitars from late 80’s. Regretted selling both. Great dealio now but finding what you want can be a challenge.

I sold a few, but still kept 3 Burny Les Pauls.
2 came from Japan; a black Custom ' 87 and a cream Randy Rhoads Custom from '83.
Found a nice honey burst Standard in Spain later on, which must've been an '89 or a '90; still had the long 'bell' truss rod cover instead of the one with 'thorns' on both sides.

On all 3 I pretty much replaced everything there is to replace (tuners, nut, electronics, etc.) and the black one's frets were small and worn, so that got a nice set of Dunlop jumbo's.
But I bought these in a time when Ebay was still ok-ish, the US$ was low to the euro, the guitars were still in decent shape (nowadays you see really damaged ones for $$$).
Especially the higher end ones nowadays sometimes are more expensive than a 70's or 80's Gibson... then again, consistency in quality is my experience with 80's Japanese Les Pauls and those words are nowhere to be found when it comes to 80's Gibsons. You have to play 20+ to find one or 2 really good ones.

Attachments

• Marshall wall.JPG
    Marshall wall.JPG
    216.4 KB · Views: 28

Back