Alder Strat vs Swamp Ash Strat? which do you prefer?

• Thread starter Thread starter veji
  • Start date Start date
I’ve owned several of both. At the end of the day, I think you have to really hunt to find a ‘bad’ sounding piece of alder. Pay the modest up charge for a center seam 2-piece alder body (or a 1-piece...) and it is almost guaranteed to sound in the ‘extremely good’ to ‘outstanding’ range. Swamp ash is more of a spin of the wheel: some swamp ash guitars sound really good while others can sound ‘dull’ for lack of a better term (a bit too light? almost ‘hollow’ sounding?)
My next build will be 1-piece roasted alder with a very simple oil finish.

When I say ash I generally mean northern hard (baseball bat) ash, like EVH used back in the day. I have a swamp ash Chubtone that sounds great, as well as some alder guitars and they all sound great, but they generally need different pickups and/or EQ settings.

Reactions: PDC
I favor ash these days, but the right pickup is essential to being back some of the scooped mids.

It took awhile to find the sweet spot height wise for the neck SC1. I think I'm finally there and am really liking it. The HF2 is a very versatile pickup but I am leaning towards trying a little hotter one as long as it still splits well.
Do you think you would prefer sc2 over sc1 ? i recommend h2+ for bridge

Do you think you would prefer sc2 over sc1 ? i recommend h2+ for bridge
I’m not sure. I don’t have much experience with Anderson pickups. There are times I think I could go for a little hotter neck pickup.

I favor ash these days, but the right pickup is essential to being back some of the scooped mids.
I never found ash to be scooped but then again I use a pickup with heavy mids and a EQ with mids boosted so in the end I guess it balances itself out, overall I found Alder to be a little more consistent sounding whereas ash bodies are hit and miss

Interesting. I've wondered if an ash body/floyd combo would be too bright.
Not a Stratocaster but I had a Kramer Custom with the slanted hum and 2 single coils and it was Northern Ash with the German Floyd..It was louder than any ohter guitar I had by twice..it had such great resonance that balanced out the highs and brightness..it sounded amazing ! Sorry not a Strat.

I had a maple neck/fretboard swamp ash Hamer Daytona Strat back in the day, with Duncan STK-2 hot stacks in the bridge and neck, and a Dimarzio HS-3 in the middle.

Never could get over the 14" radius, but man that thing was a real 90's funk/blues/rock machine.

Swamp ash gave the heft, scoop, and power! It was a Hamer that was a HAMMER!

Nailing chili peppers and SRV was no thang with that axe. LOVE the Swamp Ash!

Back