"Amp feels good under the fingers"... WTF?

• Thread starter Thread starter napalmdeath
  • Start date Start date
I think the part that’s more polarizing with Hermansson’s is the hollowed out mids, lower mids, intense, sometimes clanky treble and lack of warmth. It’s just a part of the signature Herm sound IME and it doesn’t work for all styles, but for where it does work it’s unmatched imo

yeah i agree with all of this, intense is actually the perfect word to describe mine. i like g1265s with mine to smooth it out a little.

The problem I always find is, the bouncy fun amps to play, don’t record as well as one I felt I was struggling with.

in what way?? on top of feeling the best my cameron and iic+ are some of the easiest to record for me as well, they are already compressed, theres no peaks or dips in the eq to deal with, and i just play them better.

Also where they are “easier” to play is an issue. Why I easier and bouncy doesn’t even necessarily mean “nice under the fingers” to me. If the squish is in the high end I tend to really struggle with fast lead playing, because I like to alternate pick a lot. I find it easier to deal with on the bass side. Until I get to seven string, tech stuff.

in what way?? on top of feeling the best my cameron and iic+ are some of the easiest to record for me as well, they are already compressed, theres no peaks or dips in the eq to deal with, and i just play them better.
Now sub those with a CP103 lol

Yeah I’m guessing a combination of no EQ and also I found the simul (D) version marks to in general be faster, but also more compressed and smooth/less growly, which I don’t like as much. I’m jealous the SRG haha. I’ve tried an SR, but still gotta try one with a GEQ
You think you’re jealous now, wait until the 23’rd. :LOL:

There's a technical term that I can't think of, it defines the audio/feel feedback loop between what a person plays on their instrument, and how it sounds coming back to them. It's a real thing, quite fascinating when you get into the particulars. Wish I could remember the name.
But yeah, how an instrument or amp feels under the fingers is a real thing.

There's a technical term that I can't think of, it defines the audio/feel feedback loop between what a person plays on their instrument, and how it sounds coming back to them. It's a real thing, quite fascinating when you get into the particulars. Wish I could remember the name.
But yeah, how an instrument or amp feels under the fingers is a real thing.
I know what you talking about. I brought it up in that 'Tone is in the Fingers' thread not too far back. Not sure if there is an actual technical AUDIO term but certainly our brains make very quick and sometimes subtle adjustments to our playing (brain, nerves, muscles, pick attack, etc) that affects the tone. Timbre maybe. I was saying it is not one (fingers) or the other (gear), but the sum of all the parts in the chain, including your ears, brain, nerves, etc back into the gear and out the speaker as sound waves back the ear etc., in a continuous loop. :yes:

Disagree big time. If you've had a C+ with GEQ, that amp (any version) will have the best bounce. I've had a Wiz MTL and MC100, and while they do have great touch sensitivity(feel) they aren't even in the same ballpark as a GEQ C+. The C+ is the 'bounciest' amp out there, at least in the hard rock/metal category.
Feel is always the amp, not the guitar. Take the same guitar and play a vintage Marshall, or a Wizard, SLO, C+, vintage Fender, early Recto or Friedman and then play a Suhr PT100. The Suhr just feels very flat in comparison. A Splawn QR I played had the same response.
Not saying the Suhr/Splawn sounded bad, they sound just fine but the feel on those amps are nonexistent in comparison to the previous amps I mentioned.

Another way I've heard it put, it "feels like your fingers are attached to the strings at all times".....
Agreed. I found the pt100 to sound good but felt not so good to play. Sterile or flat feeling. If it was more touch sensitive it would be much better.

I don't get WTF people are trying to say "Feels good under the fingers". What kind of TGP nonsense is that? Maybe I'm dense... I've been playing close to 40 years, and I've never said, "Hey, this feels good under the fingers".. Maybe a guitar, but an amp?
sag and bloom.

but you really need to understand the crystal lattice:

:D

Last edited:
Disagree big time. If you've had a C+ with GEQ, that amp (any version) will have the best bounce. I've had a Wiz MTL and MC100, and while they do have great touch sensitivity(feel) they aren't even in the same ballpark as a GEQ C+. The C+ is the 'bounciest' amp out there, at least in the hard rock/metal category.
Feel is always the amp, not the guitar. Take the same guitar and play a vintage Marshall, or a Wizard, SLO, C+, vintage Fender, early Recto or Friedman and then play a Suhr PT100. The Suhr just feels very flat in comparison. A Splawn QR I played had the same response.
Not saying the Suhr/Splawn sounded bad, they sound just fine but the feel on those amps are nonexistent in comparison to the previous amps I mentioned.

Another way I've heard it put, it "feels like your fingers are attached to the strings at all times".....
OK, I'm really putting myself out there with this one but does this sound flat or unresponsive to you? Being serious, not confrontational.

Keep in mind, I'm new to this and further more, this was one of the very first things I ever recorded. :) :(

Obviously, I could find better examples in the wild :lol: but I felt this clip captures responsiveness and dynamics. :dunno:

OK, I'm really putting myself out there with this one but does this sound flat or unresponsive to you? Being serious, not confrontational.

Keep in mind, I'm new to this and further more, this was one of the very first things I ever recorded. :) :(

Obviously, I could find better examples in the wild :LOL: but I felt this clip captures responsiveness and dynamics. :dunno:

oof-old-man.gif

I have used the term "feels good under the fingers" for years. It mainly deals with picking dynamics. How responsive an amp is to the touch and playing. Some amps are better than others. This is however a VERY subjective concept. What might feel great to me may feel like shit to you.

Obviously, I could find better examples in the wild :LOL: but I felt this clip captures responsiveness and dynamics. :dunno:

It's not the sound, dude. It's the FEEL. They sound good, as does the Suhr stuff I played. But some amps seem to have a dead, flat or sterile feel to them. If you play a vintage Fender or Marshall, for example your fingers feel like they are attached to the strings...every move they make is picked up by the amp, like there's a small electric charge that you pick up when your fingers fret the strings. Old Mesas also have that, Wizards, Naylor....but the few Splawns I've plugged into don't have any of that, nor the Suhrs (only played 2, 3 Splawns). But the tones from those amps, sound good. I played a 3 pre QR that was a BEAST. Very tempted to pick it up long ago.
Feel is something that you either care about, or don't. Doesn't make or break an amp choice for lots of players.

It's not the sound, dude. It's the FEEL. They sound good, as does the Suhr stuff I played. But some amps seem to have a dead, flat or sterile feel to them. If you play a vintage Fender or Marshall, for example your fingers feel like they are attached to the strings...every move they make is picked up by the amp, like there's a small electric charge that you pick up when your fingers fret the strings. Old Mesas also have that, Wizards, Naylor....but the few Splawns I've plugged into don't have any of that, nor the Suhrs (only played 2, 3 Splawns). But the tones from those amps, sound good. I played a 3 pre QR that was a BEAST. Very tempted to pick it up long ago.
Feel is something that you either care about, or don't. Doesn't make or break an amp choice for lots of players.
Cool. Thanks for the response. And yeah, I was hoping it showed dynamics and responsive :dunno:
Def not sound or accuracy or ability (on my part) :lol:
Yes, I heard the 3 preamp Splawns were the best. Hard to find now.

For the record, I just went and checked out a bunch of Hermansson's clips on YT (for another thread) and they all sounded very flat and unresponsive IMO and I hear his mods (Marshall and Mesa) are some of the best. Maybe it was in in-room mic?

Back