Amp Market Pricing

• Thread starter Thread starter Yehuda
  • Start date Start date

Would you rather the amp market crash

• Total voters
Yehuda
Yehuda
There’s always been a tradeoff- a cheaper amp market means there is less money to make reselling, but also more amp availability to people who don’t have 10k to spend on an amp. Personally I’d rather everything become more affordable- even if I would lose money on resale every time- a direction we are seemingly headed towards. I doubt we will ever hit pre covid prices, but I hope I am wrong.

I just try to get the best quality, best tone amp I can get for the best price. I buy 95% used, and I don't buy much gear at all. I guess this is why I see guys constantly buying and selling $4500 amps and getting rid of them 2 weeks later, and wondering what is going on. To make an investment that large on a new amp...I would have to be convinced that it was right for me.

I try to buy things I don't plan to sell, not to flip/sell for a profit.

My gear purchases and sales are usually due to my music focus changing over time.

I'm buying my toys before I retire that I plan to keep, to cover different music I like, from high gain amps, pointy guitars to pipe organs, and much more in between. I'm currently buying what I consider classic / things I like tube amps, keyboards, guitars,...

Last edited:
I've heard that it is currently a "buyers market" but I still don't see many deals out there... I still see people inflating the price of used amps that have the same msrp now as they did in 2019.

Up here in the northeastern US it's been a barren market lately. I've had several thousand in my gear fund account for months now and haven't seen anything interesting pop up locally. I usually won't ever buy new but I'm getting itchy enough that I may call Amplified Nation for a Ampliphonix and Gain head. Of course the day after I order it there will be 2 used ones for sale down the street.

It doesn't really matter where prices are to me. Even when prices are decent I hunt for amps that aren't popular but still got that good tone without the high price tag. Basically since I like big combos it's a win-win for me because nobody wants to deal with them even though it's really not a big deal at all. I'd actually be annoyed if SF Twins got all fanboy again and i had to spend big $ for a 3rd one. If I had #3 it's getting redbacks.....

Up here in the northeastern US it's been a barren market lately. I've had several thousand in my gear fund account for months now and haven't seen anything interesting pop up locally. I usually won't ever buy new but I'm getting itchy enough that I may call Amplified Nation for a Ampliphonix and Gain head. Of course the day after I order it there will be 2 used ones for sale down the street.
I think it partially depends what you are looking for- eg my wishlist are almost all amps I’ve never seen for sale. Unrelated but cool to know there are more amp people in the northeast! If you ever want to play anything I have or show me something you have that I don’t, I’m very open to it! I want to organize an amp fest here when I have more time

I’d like to see everything get more affordable. I’d rather see a bunch of kids and young adults be able to buy the rig they want for a reasonable amount of money vs make a few grand off the stuff I own. Good luck getting any of your idols gear if your under 25 (or older). I think people forget that hobbies are supposed to be fun and you should pass that along if your able to.
(Someone sell me a boogie coli for 2k plz)

I’d like to see maybe a little more of a drop and then stabilize for time. The farther away we get from the COVID spike the more things will equalize. You’ll still have some dreamers but their stuff will just sit.

I think it partially depends what you are looking for- eg my wishlist are almost all amps I’ve never seen for sale. Unrelated but cool to know there are more amp people in the northeast! If you ever want to play anything I have or show me something you have that I don’t, I’m very open to it! I want to organize an amp fest here when I have more time
Cool, where are you located? Just picked up a gig in Marlborough next month, if you are close swing by! I bought a Colby Mod Machine from a guy in Mass a couple months ago and he has a Morris 100w head up on Reverb right now—other than that it’s been DSLs and 5150s. I got rid of an OR50 and a Fuchs ODS and dammit I don’t like holes in the wall!

There isn't much decent stuff locally here in the midwest near Chicago, not like it was a few years ago, there was always decent gear popping up. I guess people are trying to get maximum profit on Reverb but alot of returns going on with buyers remorse when you go that route.

I'm still really surprised this Suhr modded Marshall hasn't sold since I posted it months ago......:p

https://reverb.com/item/74439435-le...9.Tyt48wyFTSmOcfHaxgofvPOn6T0H5cs7l8ZjBIxyXcA

Cool, where are you located? Just picked up a gig in Marlborough next month, if you are close swing by! I bought a Colby Mod Machine from a guy in Mass a couple months ago and he has a Morris 100w head up on Reverb right now—other than that it’s been DSLs and 5150s. I got rid of an OR50 and a Fuchs ODS and dammit I don’t like holes in the wall!
I used to live in Ma but live near nyc now!

I've heard that it is currently a "buyers market" but I still don't see many deals out there... I still see people inflating the price of used amps that have the same msrp now as they did in 2019.

You heard wrong.

Don't ever take advice from the source of that dillusional bullshit again.

I just try to get the best quality, best tone amp I can get for the best price. I buy 95% used, and I don't buy much gear at all. I guess this is why I see guys constantly buying and selling $4500 amps and getting rid of them 2 weeks later, and wondering what is going on. To make an investment that large on a new amp...I would have to be convinced that it was right for me.

I think that might be the mistake alot of those dudes are making.

You need either 20 seconds or a few months to decide if an amp (specifically) is right for you.

Yes, its possible to plug it in once and decide you hate it - but I have never BOUGHT an amp like that, personally.

Most of the stuff I've sold, is because I had to, not because I wanted to.

Back