Andy Wood jams through a Suhr SL67 MKII at Sweewater studios......

• Thread starter Thread starter harddriver
  • Start date Start date
Andy is a good guitarist. I hear a lot of Andy Timmons in his tone. Definitely a compliment to sound like AT and I’m sure he would agree, but I feel he could bring something of his own (tone wise) more to the table

I picked up a Gearbox a while back. It sounds great if you dial it like Andy does, Mids down to about 9:00 and and Treble a little under noon. The EQ knobs on that pedal have a super wide Q so dipping the mids doesn’t really scoop the sound, but instead it smooths out the grain in the mids and treble. It’s a great pedal for when you want a dark and smooth, but not muddy, lead tone.

It can get a little ratty if you dial it like a normal amp-in-a-box pedal with a bunch of highs and mids so imo it’s best used for a dark overdrive sound mostly, but that sound is very good.

Last edited:
The Shur stuff is nice, just way overpriced IMO. Producing anything in CA is just a bad idea.

The Shur stuff is nice, just way overpriced IMO. Producing anything in CA is just a bad idea.
They really are. I love their strat style guitars but like the Silver Sky, they are still not as good as strats. Still, good different and unique enough.

Reactions: Geo
I recently picked up an American Performer Tele,, good quality for the money but I am sure Ibanez AZ series is way better quality.

I recently picked up an American Performer Tele,, good quality for the money but I am sure Ibanez AZ series is way better quality.
I love Fender American and Mexican stuff, not bad for their price points at all. If I remember correctly Ibanez and Schecter started as Fender mod shops (at least when it came to electric guitar offices) so makes sense that they are an evolution of it.

Reactions: Geo
I could be mistaken, but I believe he’s playing the gearbox into that amplifier for that video.

Either way he sounds great, and I love how he has his own voice, even though he pays obvious tribute to his heroes. Guitar players with their own voice are a few and far between in 2024.

Killer player who was 100% bluegrass until he heard rock guitar as a teen. Only then did he pick up guitar
In this clip he is playing a variation of a bunch of Any Timmons licks via his morphing. Again killer player, amp sounds great but a dozen Marshall clones can sound that good and have a loop!

I saw him play as the lead guitarist in Skank Banger in Knoxville. Literally nothing could stop his chops, friction and fatigue never stood a chance.

Andy is an amazing player and knows tone. I have always loved the solo he plays here at 1:26 mark. Just an absolute stud!!

Back