Andy Wood - "Rooster"

• Thread starter Thread starter * velcro-fly *
  • Start date Start date
This is very cool and he talks about which amplifiers he uses, etc.

No, he played it smart by mostly sticking to the vocal melodies and harmonies. This song is very sombre and lots of over the top playing would have detracted from the song’s moody and pensive feeling.
Yeah that song; being an instrumental, is tough to capture all that Layne's vocal brought to that song. Actually, impossible his vocals are epic. Shredding all over it would probably seem out of place.

Andy is probably my favorite player. He can just do everything. Has great tone, great chops, his right hand is a machine gun. I've often postulated this was due to him being a mandolin player by trade. Killer stuff.

He also loves playing EJ type stuff... but then again, our youth at our church (and at 14-17 they can play Cliffs of Dover perfectly) so that's not saying much.

When he demo'd his Gearbox, I remember him doing more stuff like this:

Which is in tbe realm of EVH/Paul Gilbert shredding. That seems to be his go to when demo-ing pedals and testing their tones.

I've seen Andy Wood play slower blues songs before like Johnny B Good but not sure if I can find a video on that. I do know he is a master of jazz cording but it looks like it's hard to find that as well. If I rum across any thing of the sort I'll try to post it here.

Andy Wood kinda reminds me of Shaun Tubbs sometimes.

Back