Any Charvel experts here?

• Thread starter Thread starter thiswaythatway
  • Start date Start date
thiswaythatway
thiswaythatway
I saw a cool Charvel in a local GC today. It had a red quilt top, natural Mahagoney finished back, 24 frets, FLoyd, and H/S/S Dimarzios. On the headstock it said made in USA. The headstock looked just like this.

ebe3_1.JPG

Overall, the guitar kinda looks like a Jackson PC-1. I can't find many pics of anything similiar right now. I thought Danhops owned a similair looking Charvel so hopefully he willl chime in. The neck on this thing was really sweet and it sounded pretty good overall. Anyone know when these things were made? And were they imported in from Japan and assembled in the USA. I learned a long time that just because something says Made IN USA, well that doesn't mean squat really.

It was probably a 95 san dimas III? That would be my guess....here is a pic...

http://www.audiozone.dk/CatalogScans/Ch1995SanDimas/pages/Ch1995SanDimas06.htm

comes in green, trans red...etc.

Thanks. Those look like it. The one i saw had some dings on the bottom of the body but of course it's GC so they would only come down to a certain price.

^^^A San Dimas III would be my guess as well. Nice guitars, fugly headstock.

Tyler

It was a san dimas III, built and assembled by the same guys who were building USA Jacksons at the time who were also building the custom shop instruments. Probably from '95 to '96. They tend to go for around $800 and up. I bet it had an extra switch too, it bypasses the volume control like some Andersons do. Was it birdseye maple on the neck?

Pete

>|<>QBB<
stratotone":ff5b3 said:
It was a san dimas III, built and assembled by the same guys who were building USA Jacksons at the time who were also building the custom shop instruments. Probably from '95 to '96. They tend to go for around $800 and up. I bet it had an extra switch too, it bypasses the volume control like some Andersons do. Was it birdseye maple on the neck?

Pete

I found a thread on the Jackson/Charvel forum that has good info. The guitar i saw looked just like this one.

100_1255.jpg

frontoutside.jpg

But the neck on the one i saw had much more birdseye action going on and it had a FLoyd, black hardware, and Dimarzio pups. It had some signifigant dings on the bottom of it though which i didn't like.

SDIII
45033466.jpg

mid 90's all mine are/were 95's

Made in the Ontario Ca shop.

>|<>QBB<
stratotone":4221e said:

Pete
Wish I never traded mine to you for the AT-1:(

>|<>QBB<
danhops":43b59 said:
SDIII
45033466.jpg

mid 90's all mine are/were 95's

Made in the Ontario Ca shop.

Which ones do you still have? The one i saw is in the Springfield GC. But DONT buy it dammit :x :)

Ever get your Uber back? It probably will sound a million times better.

How much was guitar center askin Danyeo? Chips/dings piss me off as well!

I only kept my TL-1. Its very different from the rest of the mid 90's Charvels
204301274.jpg

I had these two as well as the SDIII shown above, but have moved them slowly over the past couple years
40271938.jpg

40271934.jpg

I liked them, but I wasnt playing them as much as I would've liked to be.

I have one of those Charvels, but mine is a San Dimas II. Mine is made out of Koa wood and has two HUMs (I replaced the original DiMarzios w/Duncans) and a Wilkinson trem. I love how it plays and sounds! The birds eye maple neck is really nice. It's by far my favorite guitar. Would like to get another someday...

IMG_0420xx_72.jpg

>|<>QBB<
crwnedblasphemy":1e190 said:
How much was guitar center askin Danyeo? Chips/dings piss me off as well!

It was priced at $1100 but they said they would come down to $950. The dings were on the edges on the bottom near the input jack.

I like these guitars, but I hate the DiMarzios in em, and prefer the neck profile on the PC-1's much more. It's good to see that the prices on used ones are going up. They used to be easy to find for quite a bit less than what I have seen the past few years.

>|<>QBB<
danyeo":08de3 said:
>|<>QBB<

It was priced at $1100 but they said they would come down to $950. The dings were on the edges on the bottom near the input jack.

Definitely sounds like a sandimas III and it totally not worth anything near $950. The Sam ash near me could not give those guitars away and were blowing them out at $300 years ago. I was broke as a mofo otherwise I would have bought a couple of them for sure. Pretty decent guitars but there are way better guitars out there for what they are asking IMHO.

>|<>QBB<
tnourse":a5238 said:
I have one of those Charvels, but mine is a San Dimas II. Mine is made out of Koa wood and has two HUMs (I replaced the original DiMarzios w/Duncans) and a Wilkinson trem. I love how it plays and sounds! The birds eye maple neck is really nice. It's by far my favorite guitar. Would like to get another someday...

IMG_0420xx_72.jpg

Some nice axes there. Is that pink one a Kramer Pacer Imperial with a reverse neck? Please indulge... :?

>|<>QBB<
Gainfreak":6df02 said:
>|<>QBB<

Definitely sounds like a sandimas III and it totally not worth anything near $950. The Sam ash near me could not give those guitars away and were blowing them out at $300 years ago. I was broke as a mofo otherwise I would have bought a couple of them for sure. Pretty decent guitars but there are way better guitars out there for what they are asking IMHO.

Especially with the shape that it's in i tend to agree.It would be a slam dunk for $400 or $500.

Properly set up, I think any of the SD series are good guitars. I still have one of the traditional 'strat' models. It actually has a few things in common with my EJ... 12" fingerboard radius, jumbo frets, staggered tuners so you don't need a string tree. :)

Danhops - I wish I still had that SD III too! It was a great guitar. A friend of mine has *two* TL1s... with TELE headstocks. :D

PEte

>|<>QBB<
danhops":01178 said:
I only kept my TL-1. Its very different from the rest of the mid 90's Charvels
204301274.jpg

I had these two as well as the SDIII shown above, but have moved them slowly over the past couple years
40271938.jpg

40271934.jpg

I liked them, but I wasnt playing them as much as I would've liked to be.

love the tele :)

>|<>QBB<
tnourse":a5d38 said:

IMG_0420xx_72.jpg

:winken:
got one of those too, awesome guitar! the one piece koa body is sexey.

fullcharvel.jpg

Back