Any Love for the Peavey XXX?

Rex Rocker":q3wjclzu said:
I used to have one. Solid amp. Both the Ultra and Crunch channels were very useable for high-gain rhtyms, thoug I feel both had a tad too much gain and were hard to control with high-output pickups.

Good amp nonetheless.

I had this same issue, and a 5751 Preamp tube in v2 fixed that right up. Added a little clarity as well.

I have a 3120, Triple X (Kruse Kontrol modded) and a JSX. It's been hard to pass these up since they are to be found pretty damn cheap. $250/$300/$300. I have played around with preamp tubes quite a bit in the Triple X and the 3120. I never thought to try a 5751 in spot 2. Defiantly sounds like something to try to relive a bit of congestion that these amps can have. Thanks.

I've had mine for years and have no plans to get rid of it. It definitely still has it's place for me. Anyone using EL34s with theirs?

slaveunit":1yqzoxlv said:
I have a 3120, Triple X (Kruse Kontrol modded) and a JSX. It's been hard to pass these up since they are to be found pretty damn cheap. $250/$300/$300. I have played around with preamp tubes quite a bit in the Triple X and the 3120. I never thought to try a 5751 in spot 2. Defiantly sounds like something to try to relive a bit of congestion that these amps can have. Thanks.
What mods did Kruse do to it and how did it turn out?

Riggins1966":3n9u322d said:
I've had mine for years and have no plans to get rid of it. It definitely still has it's place for me. Anyone using EL34s with theirs?
I run EL34s in both my Triple X and the 3120. Although I did prefer 6L6GCs in the JSX.

I had a Triple-XXX years ago and loved that amp!! I agree with shredhead7 that the amp was an 80s hair metal machine. I can't remember but thought Shask, here on the forum, and I had that amp at the same time and used to rant about it on HC back in the day. Might be someone else I'm thinking of. I thought mine had EL-34s but can't remember. I wasn't gigging at the time but was a great bedroom amp.

I had a Peavey JSX years later and even had it in my last band back in the 2009-2010 timeframe. I didn't have any problems cutting thru at all but didn't have another guitar player in the mix. I had to have the treble, mids, and presence up quite a bit but great amp.

The crazy thing is that I've been an EVH fan since the early 80s and never jived with the 5150 or 5150 II. I don't know what it is about those amps but never got into them. I probably don't know how to dial them in right.

Bad.Seed":1vgw9oe5 said:
slaveunit":1vgw9oe5 said:
What mods did Kruse do to it and how did it turn out?
It was the Kruse Kontrol Mod. I was on week long business trip and decided to look at CL. I was on the hunt for a Triple X and saw the modded one for $300 which seemed pretty cheap. So I headed over after work, gave it a 2 min test, then headed back to the hotel. I had never owned this exact amp before the mods so I can't give a before and after. Once I was back home I contacted Jens to try and get an idea of what the mod did and how much it currently costs. He replied with...
"Before shipping costs the mod is $300 and consists of a circuit mod in different areas to greatly enhance the clarity and responsiveness of the amp. The tone will cut much better in through the mix and it is easier to play."

He's pretty dead on with the description. I'm not sure it plays easier but the note clarity is improved. Some of the lower mids have been cut back some when compared to my 3120 with identical tubes. It has a tad more of a Marshall voicing but defiantly doesn't sound like a Marshall. It feels brighter in the higher mids area.

Before and after sound clips can be heard on his page: http://www.krusekontrol.com/peavey_mods/xxx_mods
Personally I like both sounds of modded and stock. That's really I keep both the 3120 and the modded Triple X.

Still have the screen shot of the ad on my phone. Yes, it's purple ;) Sorry the photo is so large.
ufDf9Z0.jpg

KT77s in the power section also make the amp less congested and more present. Agree with the V2 pre-amp tube change. Greatly improves clarity.

I loved the one I had back in the day. I screwed it up by sending it to Voodoo Amps. After that it was ruined tonally. Sold it fast and never revisited. If I got another I would update the screen resistors to accommodate the E-34L. It ripped with those tubes :)

sutepaj":2g9zek2f said:
They look embarassing but sound great. I have seen some good cosmetic mods people have done. A great no frills hard rock/metal amp.

Tronald Dump has my old one. It can be done!

I love the Triple XXX, one of my all-time favorite amps. Owned one three times.

mgfnf3cchqckzhr3yniw.jpg

I get that the OEM graphics are a bit brash but they're hardly embarrassing.
I like to keep the cosmetics on mine stock. I've personally yet to see one that didn't end up looking like a failed garage craft project.
The best one I saw was simply changing the color of the faceplate to black, but it was done with a heat treated powder coat, not a rattle can job. So it looked professional.
But the girls were still there in all their glory, so not much really changed in the end.

I think a bit part of these is how you set them Bad.Seed can make anything sound good....even a 50 watt gorilla with a Metal Zone. Gary Holt used the XXX & That dude just slays.

I absolutely love mine. Had it since 2004. Absolutely vicious thru some V30's. I seem to remember that everyone online did nothing but shit on the Triple XXX for years. I got a good bit of grief on other forums for even owning one, let alone saying that in my opinion, they sound great! lol. I'm not sure when the attitude towards them turned around, but I'm glad that it did!!

WashburnX50":kckxoz6s said:
I absolutely love mine. Had it since 2004. Absolutely vicious thru some V30's. I seem to remember that everyone online did nothing but shit on the Triple XXX for years. I got a good bit of grief on other forums for even owning one, let alone saying that in my opinion, they sound great! lol. I'm not sure when the attitude towards them turned around, but I'm glad that it did!!

It's been a gradual thing over the past 10 years or so. Part of it is the Gary Holt affiliation. Then you got the forum guys playing around with the damping switch, power and preamp tubes and sharing their experiences.

napalmdeath":kt1b8854 said:
scottosan":kt1b8854 said:
When i had mine, it was fun to play alone, but playing in a band setting, got buried

User error. Never heard a XXX get buried, slicing mids on that amp.

Agsinst a Marshall, the mids are in the wrong place. If I was playing with another modern voiced amp, maybe but I was simply buried bt a DSL. Even with mids cranked

scottosan":3b6kckdp said:
napalmdeath":3b6kckdp said:
scottosan":3b6kckdp said:
When i had mine, it was fun to play alone, but playing in a band setting, got buried

User error. Never heard a XXX get buried, slicing mids on that amp.

Agsinst a Marshall, the mids are in the wrong place. If I was playing with another modern voiced amp, maybe but I was simply buried bt a DSL. Even with mids cranked

That's kind of wild, but I guess I could see that. The Mids are definitely focused lower on the XXX than your standard Marshall or Modded Marshall. I switched from the xxx over to my Splawn QR and it was instantly brighter/middier, and I had to dial the mids back a little for my hear to not be annoyed directly after the switch.

But even vs a 5150, which can typically dominate a mix if the user dials the mids anywhere past 5, the XXX stood out just fine.

Back