Any reputable modders that work on non-production amps?

• Thread starter Thread starter MatrixClaw
  • Start date Start date
MatrixClaw
MatrixClaw
Recently picked up an amp from a small builder (SLO-based design, PTP on a turret board, Heyboer transformers, etc) in a trade and I really dig the base tone, especially with a boost (without it, it just doesn't have QUITE enough gain and the low-end gets a bit loose for my liking)... But using a boost makes the excellent clean channel less useful. Would love to bring out that tone, without sacrificing the second channel, but none of the well-respected modders I know seem to want to take on a new circuit or don't have the capacity right now.

The company that originally built it also can't take it on, nor do they seem to want to change much on it. My tech has too much work to do design work like this, even though he seemed really interested in it (he just quoted me several months lead time, which isn't ideal). I don't really want to move this one on because it sounds absolutely insane with the boost, but it's hard for me to find a two channel amp useful when only one channel is realistically usable at a time.

What are my options in the US?

Did you ask Dave Friedman? He has always been willing to mess with things.

There are probably at least 5 dudes on here that may or may not take something like that on - or know someone else on here. Good luck Derek. :yes:

@FourT6and2 , @glpg80 , @SpiderWars , @morgansbluff , @harddriver :dunno:

Last edited:
There are probably at least 5 dudes on here that may or may not take something like that on - or know someone else on here. Good luck Derek. :yes:

I would add Shea of Monomyth to that list as well.....you could also message Jason of Headfirst and he may be able to look at the circuit and make suggestions to a local tech? If they have time of course.

Can you post some detailed gut shots? It would help us at least get an idea of the scope.

Will the originator at least release a preamp schematic? It’s not necessary as it can be reverse engineered on a bench but it’s a bitch for one off designs. I’ve got full blueprints of my one off.

Did you ask Dave Friedman? He has always been willing to mess with things.
I haven't. Honestly, I assumed he'd only work on Marshalls 🤷‍♂️

Cool, appreciate it!

I would add Shea of Monomyth to that list as well.....you could also message Jason of Headfirst and he may be able to look at the circuit and make suggestions to a local tech? If they have time of course.
Worth asking! I honestly had written off Headfirst cause they're in Australia. I also didn't think Shea worked on anything that wasn't Marshall, worth looking into!

Can you post some detailed gut shots? It would help us at least get an idea of the scope.

Will the originator at least release a preamp schematic? It’s not necessary as it can be reverse engineered on a bench but it’s a bitch for one off designs. I’ve got full blueprints of my one off.
For sure! I'll see if I have some time to open it up today. I didn't ask the builder for a schematic, but I can try. He has a V2 circuit that I was going to have him update it to, but he told me that it's already at the end of its range as far as gain is concerned, otherwise it'll squeal too much. I mean, it maybe has half the gain of all my other amps, so I'm not sure that's true. If it's truly SLO-based, I assume it's based on the Crunch side and not the lead, because my SLO had considerably more gain. Builder says it's meant to be used with a boost, but if that's the case, I'd rather have that extra gain staging in the circuit itself. Doesn't really make sense to me why it would squeal with circuit changes but wouldn't with a boost 🤷‍♂️:LOL:

I haven't. Honestly, I assumed he'd only work on Marshalls 🤷‍♂️

Cool, appreciate it!

Worth asking! I honestly had written off Headfirst cause they're in Australia. I also didn't think Shea worked on anything that wasn't Marshall, worth looking into!

For sure! I'll see if I have some time to open it up today. I didn't ask the builder for a schematic, but I can try. He has a V2 circuit that I was going to have him update it to, but he told me that it's already at the end of its range as far as gain is concerned, otherwise it'll squeal too much. I mean, it maybe has half the gain of all my other amps, so I'm not sure that's true. If it's truly SLO-based, I assume it's based on the Crunch side and not the lead, because my SLO had considerably more gain. Builder says it's meant to be used with a boost, but if that's the case, I'd rather have that extra gain staging in the circuit itself. Doesn't really make sense to me why it would squeal with circuit changes but wouldn't with a boost 🤷‍♂️:LOL:
Friedman works on way more than just marshall. He obviously favors the marshall circuit, but a lot of us do.

Back