Any Worthy "Upgrade" from the Suhr RL:IR?

• Thread starter Thread starter Bardagh
  • Start date Start date
Interesting to read this! I've noticed the same with my regular RL while loading IRs in my DAW so the truncation isn't all there is to it. I'm not about to run out to pick up a different load box since I'm otherwise very happy with the Suhr, but it's good to know that it's not a fundamental issue with IRs.

I think we’ve chatted before Peter but I’m not sure, how are you liking the driftwood loadbox? I hope if anyone bought it after seeing everything I’ve written about it, that it hasn’t let them down. I only say this because I’ve seen virtually zero mention of it anywhere else online.
I got one based off your recommendation / demos and it's been great! I don't record with my master volume super loud but the pad switch works just fine for me.

I a/b'd my suhr reactive load with my powerstation and greatly preferred the load on my powerstation. There's something about the suhr that just sounded smeared to me, like it lacked definition. The load on the powerstation is clearer, fatter, and just feels more responsive with my amps. The suhr was good option while I had it, but once I got my powerstation, I just didn't use the suhr anymore, so I sold it. There are plenty of people who prefer the suhr over the powersation though, so take it with a grain of salt.

I a/b'd my suhr reactive load with my powerstation and greatly preferred the load on my powerstation. There's something about the suhr that just sounded smeared to me, like it lacked definition. The load on the powerstation is clearer, fatter, and just feels more responsive with my amps. The suhr was good option while I had it, but once I got my powerstation, I just didn't use the suhr anymore, so I sold it. There are plenty of people who prefer the suhr over the powersation though, so take it with a grain of salt.
I did the comparison as well and preferred the suhr as I found it more articulate, so just the opposite. I bet it is very amp dependent, I was using a Soldano hr25. I do like both units and have a ps2, suhr rl, and Suhr rlir.

Suhr is supposed to have a power station like device in the works, we will see.

I would recommend the power station or the driftwood box. I have a power station because I like some of the additional features like the attenuation. I can use it with my cab for that or feed out for IR loading.

I think we’ve chatted before Peter but I’m not sure, how are you liking the driftwood loadbox? I hope if anyone bought it after seeing everything I’ve written about it, that it hasn’t let them down. I only say this because I’ve seen virtually zero mention of it anywhere else online.
Yes we have! Bought it on your recommendation :) it’s great and like better than the Suhr I’ve had before :) The St Rock was actually in stock a week ago. Got a mail they had 8 units in stock :)

Damn lots of food for thought. I usually do run the Suhr into my DAW and load IR's there, and honestly IR's are part of the problem. I find a lot of them to sound unnatural or weird. I absolutely do not like any that sound "produced" and already have highs filtered out and so on, because exactly where and how to filter out high and low frequencies is very Guitar-amp chain, personal taste and mix dependent. Unfortunately most IR's I have tried do not sound raw. ValhallIR's stuff is one exception. They sound much more like straight up mic on a cab.

I think with some amps the Suhr just is not as good a match as others. On my real cabs the Deliverance does not sound nearly as dark and round and boomy as it does when I run it through the Suhr. I find myself turning the depth and bass controls almost all the way off and seriously boosting the treble and presence to try and get some attack and cut and it still is not really there. Running this amp through any cab I have in person that is not at all the case. The amp sounds huge but tight and has loads of clarity. Some IR's are of course way better than others about lessening that effect but, for instance, the JJ-100 I had did not have that problem and sounded quite good through the Suhr. Still maybe a LITTLE more rounded off than in person, but nothing that would bug you when trying to make scratch tracks for songwriting and stuff.

Unfortunately mine is an older one that doesn’t have a pad switch, which is a bummer because my amps go in supppppppper hot level wise for sure without it. So, I use the bray line out box that’s like 59 bucks, which solves any issue entirely. I would imagine the -20db pad on the new driftwood loadboxes is more than adequate to taming thr level.

That's good to know, with some amps I find I really have to dial back the DI level on the Suhr to keep from clipping, even though the signal into my DAW doesn't seem that loud. How hard was it to get a hold of a Driftwood load box?

I got one based off your recommendation / demos and it's been great! I don't record with my master volume super loud but the pad switch works just fine for me.

Killer! Glad you dig it, I love it when recording direct. Best low end response out there.

I have a Suhr and React IR and love both. The Suhr is definitely on the squishy side - it’s fun to play but it can be too much for some things.

The React IR is stiffer and tighter and may be more to your taste. From what I can tell, the Driftwood is even more exaggerated than the Suhr which is probably a lot of fun but likely going in the opposite direction to what you are after.

I actually did some tests a while back comparing the Suhr and React IR against the loads of about 10 cabs - The Suhr was dead on to the 1960TV with greenbacks, the React was closest to the (various) V30 cabs in the test.

There can’t be a single BEST load - some are better than others but there are many on the market that accurately model the load they intend to. IMO it’s best to have a few.

I have a Suhr and React IR and love both. The Suhr is definitely on the squishy side - it’s fun to play but it can be too much for some things.

The React IR is stiffer and tighter and may be more to your taste. From what I can tell, the Driftwood is even more exaggerated than the Suhr which is probably a lot of fun but likely going in the opposite direction to what you are after.

I actually did some tests a while back comparing the Suhr and React IR against the loads of about 10 cabs - The Suhr was dead on to the 1960TV with greenbacks, the React was closest to the (various) V30 cabs in the test.

There can’t be a single BEST load - some are better than others but there are many on the market that accurately model the load they intend to. IMO it’s best to have a few.

Completely 100 percent disagree on your view of what the driftwood “probably” is. Having both the suhr and the driftwood in the room was very night and day going through the same signal chain and IR’s. Are the impedence curves modeled after different cabs/speakers? Probably. From what I’ve read the suhr is much more in the greenback camp. But this wasn’t the issue I don’t think, the suhr just sounded much thinner overrall and crazy bright compared to the driftwood. The driftwood was much tighter as well.

Completely 100 percent disagree on your view of what the driftwood “probably” is. Having both the suhr and the driftwood in the room was very night and day going through the same signal chain and IR’s. Are the impedence curves modeled after different cabs/speakers? Probably. From what I’ve read the suhr is much more in the greenback camp. But this wasn’t the issue I don’t think, the suhr just sounded much thinner overrall and crazy bright compared to the driftwood. The driftwood was much tighter as well.
My friend sent a clip of his EVH with the driftwood compared to his Suhr - the low end was absolutely wild when using the Driftwood (and it actually sounded very dark). He's happy because it allows him to dial the amp differently and get different tones from each. I have another friend who has a Driftwood and loves it - again, he has a few load boxes and from the demos he sent me, it had tons of low end again and lots of squish. It certainly sounded less bright and more bassy, so I think we agree there; it really depends on what the frame of reference is as far as what normal is.

Would love to hear some examples showing me the opposite though - I'm genuinely interested in getting one for myself, and so far only have those 2 demonstrations to go off. Driftwood themselves said it's not modelled on any particular cab but more what sounds good to them - not sure if thats to distance themselves from any comparisons or if thats genuinely the case, but its the line they're putting out.

I'd love to know what load it compares to - my goal ultimately is to have load boxes that are close to various cabs I like. The React IR covers stiffer 4x12 loads like V30's, G12H30's. The Suhr is great for G12m25's, T75's etc. I'm yet to try Fryette, but thats also on my list with the Driftwood.

My friend sent a clip of his EVH with the driftwood compared to his Suhr - the low end was absolutely wild when using the Driftwood (and it actually sounded very dark). He's happy because it allows him to dial the amp differently and get different tones from each. I have another friend who has a Driftwood and loves it - again, he has a few load boxes and from the demos he sent me, it had tons of low end again and lots of squish. It certainly sounded less bright and more bassy, so I think we agree there; it really depends on what the frame of reference is as far as what normal is.

Would love to hear some examples showing me the opposite though - I'm genuinely interested in getting one for myself, and so far only have those 2 demonstrations to go off. Driftwood themselves said it's not modelled on any particular cab but more what sounds good to them - not sure if thats to distance themselves from any comparisons or if thats genuinely the case, but its the line they're putting out.

I'd love to know what load it compares to - my goal ultimately is to have load boxes that are close to various cabs I like. The React IR covers stiffer 4x12 loads like V30's, G12H30's. The Suhr is great for G12m25's, T75's etc. I'm yet to try Fryette, but thats also on my list with the Driftwood.

Rev F recto:

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/EngSgnEwZnAibTaGA
Morin modded JMP:

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/9FsewfeooXTaX5Tk7
5150 and Morin Marshall:

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/tVhptgFP6xDYo6PZ7
Rhodes colossus : ( super bass heavy , but I was going for the vibe of the original track and showing off something for a friend)

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/ih9H5d4YsSrNhxgn8
Morin Marshall:

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/kUdHEnreYMLW275B6
These clips may not be your liking, but if you thought the driftwood had too much bass or wild low end, the issue wasn’t the loadbox. The driftwood has the most realistic low end I’ve ever heard personally, and I mic my 8 4x12s up consistently all the time.

I would recommend the power station or the driftwood box. I have a power station because I like some of the additional features like the attenuation. I can use it with my cab for that or feed out for IR loading.

Same, I like the additional features on the PS, personally, so that's what I have - but the driftwood is probably the best sounding, IMO.

Same, I like the additional features on the PS, personally, so that's what I have - but the driftwood is probably the best sounding, IMO.
100% agree. If you're not doing anything with a cab I would go driftwood for sound (and price). If you want the features like the loop/attenuator, and want to have the options to run into a DAW or use a cab the Fryette. I've owned the Suhr and the Boss TAE. Nothing wrong with either exactly, but I feel the other 2 are just a cut above.

These clips may not be your liking, but if you thought the driftwood had too much bass or wild low end, the issue wasn’t the loadbox. The driftwood has the most realistic low end I’ve ever heard personally, and I mic my 8 4x12s up consistently all the time.
"Realistic" in this context is kind of arbitrary though - there isn't any comparison to other loads in these examples. What I'm trying to determine is which cab+speakers would give the most similar load to the Driftwood load box. Per the video I made comparing different loads, I know that the 1960TV is accurate to the Suhr load, and the V30 cabs are close to React IR.

In my video, you can hear the low end is fairly consistent between the load produced by all the cabs and the 2 load boxes. The Suhr has more resonance than the React IR, and I think the React IR has a fraction less resonance than the Mesa or Orange 4x12's (I just use compensated IR's to make up this difference but its pretty minor). The video also shows that in a closed back 4x12, most of the impedance curve is down to just the speakers. All of the 4x12's with V30's have a similar sounding impedance curve (its hard to hear the difference when changing the load from a Mesa cab to Orange, and these are switching between 8 and 16 Ω speakers).

I'm not doubting the Driftwood is a great sounding unit - I just know that of the load boxes I have so far, I can vouch for which cabs they produce a similar impedance curve to. The fact that the Driftwood seems to have so much more low end seems fun and can sound great, but is that ACTUALLY a realistic impedance curve, or just one that reminds you of the feeling you get in the room?

The only way you can test the accuracy/realism of a load box is to first use a cabinet as a load, and either mic up that cab, or take a DI, and then compare that to using the same amp+settings using the load box as the load with the same IR. Clips on their own don't really prove any kind of accuracy or realism.

100% agree. If you're not doing anything with a cab I would go driftwood for sound (and price). If you want the features like the loop/attenuator, and want to have the options to run into a DAW or use a cab the Fryette. I've owned the Suhr and the Boss TAE. Nothing wrong with either exactly, but I feel the other 2 are just a cut above.

Yep i'm 100% in agreement with you on this. That matches my experience with the Suhr and TAE too. They're both quite good, and could be the right piece of gear for a certain type of user, but weren't right for me at all. I also have some technical qualms about how the TAE achieves its load as far as the safety of the amps its used with.

"Realistic" in this context is kind of arbitrary though - there isn't any comparison to other loads in these examples. What I'm trying to determine is which cab+speakers would give the most similar load to the Driftwood load box. Per the video I made comparing different loads, I know that the 1960TV is accurate to the Suhr load, and the V30 cabs are close to React IR.

In my video, you can hear the low end is fairly consistent between the load produced by all the cabs and the 2 load boxes. The Suhr has more resonance than the React IR, and I think the React IR has a fraction less resonance than the Mesa or Orange 4x12's (I just use compensated IR's to make up this difference but its pretty minor). The video also shows that in a closed back 4x12, most of the impedance curve is down to just the speakers. All of the 4x12's with V30's have a similar sounding impedance curve (its hard to hear the difference when changing the load from a Mesa cab to Orange, and these are switching between 8 and 16 Ω speakers).

I'm not doubting the Driftwood is a great sounding unit - I just know that of the load boxes I have so far, I can vouch for which cabs they produce a similar impedance curve to. The fact that the Driftwood seems to have so much more low end seems fun and can sound great, but is that ACTUALLY a realistic impedance curve, or just one that reminds you of the feeling you get in the room?

The only way you can test the accuracy/realism of a load box is to first use a cabinet as a load, and either mic up that cab, or take a DI, and then compare that to using the same amp+settings using the load box as the load with the same IR. Clips on their own don't really prove any kind of accuracy or realism.

You're right , they don’t show accuracy or realism. The point of my clips wasn’t to be a comparison to a real cab ( which I can do if you’d like) but to show the driftwood sounds great and can be dark or bright, and that whatever issue you heard from the EVH and driftwood, is highly suspect and probably not an issue with the driftwood loadbox.

I also couldn’t care less about the amp in the room and it’s response being similar. I literally 100 percent of the time have my amps mic’d up listening in my studio, never “ in the room”, so that’s pretty irrelevant for my tastes and needs. What the driftwood is close to, I’m not sure. But I bet you could ask driftwood and they would explain. All of those clips I posted were either GGD’s Mesa cabs ( which are on the darker side in my opinion it still good) or titan audios Marshall cab pack. I have 2 Marshall cabs with various era Marshall vintage speakers from 1992 up to present. The driftwood loadbox using titan audios IR’s Give me the same feel and frequency response as my real Marshall cabs. And of course all of my Marshall speakers sound different so again, not a true apples to apples comparisons ( titans Marshall celestion vintage speakers used in their pack are from 2005, mine from the early 90s to present), but still extremely relevant to this conversion I think.

All I can say is I’ve had the Driftwood and now have a Fryette. I do like that the Fryette has bright and warm switches, neat way to shape how the load reacts. I find it sounds fairly accurate to a real cab, probably a Fryette bc it is on the more flat side eq wise. Not bright, or too bassy, maybe a touch dark? But easily fixed with the switches or tweaking the amp.

The Driftwood is a hair on the darker side as well, but felt accurate as well. Both seem top notch.

You're right , they don’t show accuracy or realism. The point of my clips wasn’t to be a comparison to a real cab ( which I can do if you’d like) but to show the driftwood sounds great and can be dark or bright, and that whatever issue you heard from the EVH and driftwood, is highly suspect and probably not an issue with the driftwood loadbox.

I also couldn’t care less about the amp in the room and it’s response being similar. I literally 100 percent of the time have my amps mic’d up listening in my studio, never “ in the room”, so that’s pretty irrelevant for my tastes and needs. What the driftwood is close to, I’m not sure. But I bet you could ask driftwood and they would explain. All of those clips I posted were either GGD’s Mesa cabs ( which are on the darker side in my opinion it still good) or titan audios Marshall cab pack. I have 2 Marshall cabs with various era Marshall vintage speakers from 1992 up to present. The driftwood loadbox using titan audios IR’s Give me the same feel and frequency response as my real Marshall cabs. And of course all of my Marshall speakers sound different so again, not a true apples to apples comparisons ( titans Marshall celestion vintage speakers used in their pack are from 2005, mine from the early 90s to present), but still extremely relevant to this conversion I think.

Would genuinely really appreciate hearing the Driftwood vs your cab loads, as long as you use the same IR throughout (I can help you set it up so its a fair test/nothing blows up if you haven't done this before). I think it's the best way to understand what impact the load is having, and its helpful if you're using IR's or other gear as many commercial ones have slight "correction" curves applied to compensate for different loads.

FWIW, there was no issue with the EVH and Driftwood - the example was dialled in with the Suhr, and the same settings were left in place for the Driftwood. In that situation you'd just readjust your amp settings for the other load and move on, and thats exactly what the benefit of having different loads at hand is.

I'm in exactly the same boat as far as the whole amp in the room thing (doesn't bother me one bit as I only hear guitar tones in a studio environment) - I just mentioned it because I know a lot guitarists have an issue with how a mic'd cab sounds vs a cabinet in the room. Usually with those, having more low end oomph helps it feel more familiar.

From what I remember, my friend with the Driftwood asked them what it's based on and their response was that it wasn't based on any specific cabinet - they just fine tuned it to sound how they wanted. My question isn't whether the Driftwood is a good load box - clearly it sounds good and many people are very happy with it. What I'm trying to work out is "what cabinet load is the Driftwood closest/most accurate to?"

For an accurate test, you really need to use the same IR's throughout, and I'd recommend making your own purely so you can 100% guarantee that you don't have any unwanted poweramp interactions influencing things one way or another (MANY commercial ones suffer from this - for instance some well known IR's have additional correction to compensate for how the Suhr load is different to a Mesa cab). Happy to help or supply my own (which I have "clean" and "compensated" versions of).

The reason I'm so curious for this is I tend to pair my IR's with the most suitable load - if I'm using a V30 IR, then I'd prefer to provide a load to the amp that is most similar to a V30 cab. If I'm using Greenbacks, then I'd pick a load that's similar to that. There can't be a single load box that is perfect for every situation, as real cabs vary so much themselves. At best you can have some switches to adjust the shape and try to get close to a few different ones.

I will definitely check out your comparisons later when I’m at my DAW.

I agree the Suhr sounds most accurate with (RAW/unprocessed) greenback loaded Marshall cab IR’s. And I really like those cabs with certain amps (particularly Marshalls and derivatives). I have a 1960 spec all birch 4x12 loaded with greenbacks so I’m familiar with what it should actually sound like with my various amps. However it seems some amps themselves just don’t interact right with the Suhr load even though they do with the real cab.

The Friedman and the JCM 800 I have now have all sounded good through the Suhr. The Boogie JP2C sounds decent. The Deliverance sounds all wrong :lol:

I don’t want anything inherently darker or “softer” sounding - or bassier as I perceive it, unless by being “bassier” the low end is more solid sounding and not strangely bloated.

Back