Anything like a Duncan '59 in the neck, just hotter?

• Thread starter Thread starter Rex Rocker
  • Start date Start date
You’re not going to get a volume jump on the neck pickup, since it’s position is typically for rhythm playing and thus more bassy. Contrast that with the bridge that for all intents is classified as the treble or lead and perceptibly boosts but only because it’s in a default position that picks up higher frequencies. Even with a hotter pickup in the neck its gonna still be bassier and what’s perceived as slightly quieter not because of what it is - but because of where it is.
Actually, if you took two pickups with the same output and placed them in your guitar, the neck pickup would be louder. This is because the neck pickup is closer to the fundamental of the guitar string. It is receiving more vibration. The reason most modern bridge pickups are wound hotter is to try to overcome this phenonium.

To the OP, you can try a Duncan Screamin' Demon in the neck. It's would hotter than the 59, and due to its construction, has a tighter bottom end. The 59b may work for you as well. I also really like the Suhr Aldrich neck pickup for something with a bit more power in the neck position.

Actually, if you took two pickups with the same output and placed them in your guitar, the neck pickup would be louder. This is because the neck pickup is closer to the fundamental of the guitar string. It is receiving more vibration. The reason most modern bridge pickups are wound hotter is to try to overcome this phenonium.

To the OP, you can try a Duncan Screamin' Demon in the neck. It's would hotter than the 59, and due to its construction, has a tighter bottom end. The 59b may work for you as well. I also really like the Suhr Aldrich neck pickup for something with a bit more power in the neck position.
I have never experienced this in 45y of playing. I’ll have to do some research. Your physics is sound as the loudest part of a vibrating string would be at its highest amplitude per oscillation, but even with all the upper harmonics that exist near the terminus (~frets 1-4) on both ends, the bridge gets all the highs.

Last edited:
Maybe try the Duncan SH-6N which is the Distortion neck pickup. It's 12.5-13K so the output isn't far off from the Custom at 14K so it will be well matched outputwise and since you like it with your 500T it may be your solution with your Custom which also has a ceramic magnet, Seymour describes the Custom as a PAF on steriods so the SH-6N falls into that category as well.

The SH-6N has ceramic magnet but it will grind alot like your Custom but be more balanced with less mids and compression more hot PAF like but with a ceramic magnet.... but you were asking about a 59 like pickup and the SH-6N is not a PAF, it still will have clarity a bit of PAF clank but alot more grind and output than a 9K 59B.

The SH-6N used to be called the Seymourizer II which were 12.5.-12.8K ohms resitance in the late 70's early 80's and was his hot cermaic pickup before the Custom came out and more than likely was the predecessor to the SH-5 Custom. I have a bunch of them and use them as a bridge pickup since the 80's, I like them alot more than a SH-5 Custom since they are more balanced with less mids but they grind like a MOFO in the bridge position.
The SH-6N is the pickup I have in my Les Paul. I love it in there, but to me, it kinda sounds nothing like the '59. It's a great pickup, but I kinda want this LTD to have a different sound.

I have never experienced this in 45y of playing. I’ll have to do some research.
I think it's pretty common for people who have dual PAF types or other pickup sets where either the bridge or neck pickup are roughly the same output or at least close for them to have to run the neck pickup super low or else the neck pickup overpowers the bridge. That's exactly the reason why most pickup sets come with a neck pickup with a lower DCR and/or a weaker magnet.

I think because all pickup sets follow that trend, many people (and pickup makers included) take it to the extreme and create pickup sets that don't really match. I'm sure it was intentional on Seymour Duncan's side, but the JB/Jazz set is an example for me that is so mistmatched that I never could get to work. But that's another whole can of worms. Luckily, the Custom/59N set kinda works EQ-wise. I just wished the '59 was a tad less weak.

Reactions: RMU
The Sentient is a pretty cool neck pickup...I've also used the Blues Saraceno PA bridge in the neck too..pretty cool. I've also seen the Screamin Demon suggested as a neck pickup.

Last edited:
To the OP, you can try a Duncan Screamin' Demon in the neck. It's would hotter than the 59, and due to its construction, has a tighter bottom end.
While what you're stating there, matches my experience (after swapping the '59N with a Screamin' Demon in my ESP Horizon NT-II), it sounds nothing like the 59n.

Neither does the honky, borderline nasal PAF Pro for that matter.

The Screamin' Demon sounds more like a souped up single coil with more beef; it has more clarity, good mids and a tighter low-end, and still featuring some of that coveted 'bell-like' characteristics, that most folks want from a PAF. But EQ-wise, it's almost the opposite of the '59N, and the PAF Pro even more so. Lean lows, very, very middy and slightly smoothed highs.

have the same guitar. i thought the 59 pairs off well with the JB Bridge. I left it alone

only mod i did was switch the 2 vol pots around so the neck is up front and the bridge is in the middle.
and the push pull split tone i went with an alpha push pull pot instead of the stock linear which didn't do anything until below 3

I have a 59/Custom hybrid in the neck of a guitar that has a Custom 5 in the bridge, and to me it delivers what you're looking for--59 plus a bit more; more cut and not so boomy.
I've made a couple of the hybrids, and they do have an interesting sound.

That was how I discovered I like asymmetric coils in a humbucker.

🪙

While what you're stating there, matches my experience (after swapping the '59N with a Screamin' Demon in my ESP Horizon NT-II), it sounds nothing like the 59n.

Neither does the honky, borderline nasal PAF Pro for that matter.

The Screamin' Demon sounds more like a souped up single coil with more beef; it has more clarity, good mids and a tighter low-end, and still featuring some of that coveted 'bell-like' characteristics, that most folks want from a PAF. But EQ-wise, it's almost the opposite of the '59N, and the PAF Pro even more so. Lean lows, very, very middy and slightly smoothed highs.
Correct, the Screamin' Demon doesn't sound exactly like a 59n. It has a tighter bottom end response and highs are a little glassier. This helps with some people's perception of boominess in the neck position. The OP mentioned not wanting it to be "boomy." So, I thought it was a reasonable suggestion.

I ran a Duncan Custom in the bridge and 59n in the neck of my Les Paul for years. I never had an issue with balancing the volumes between the two... but that is just my experience with the setup that I had. YMMV.

The SH-6N is the pickup I have in my Les Paul. I love it in there, but to me, it kinda sounds nothing like the '59. It's a great pickup, but I kinda want this LTD to have a different sound.
Maybe start with a higher output A-5 PAF then. I've seen some Duncan 59B around 9K ohms tops. Arcane make a PAF clone which is about 9.2K ohms. Anything overwinding above 10K the pickup isn't much of a PAF any longer if you want that clarity and spank of a PAF.

Fralin make some hotter PAF's where you can choose the output, you'll just have to look around and see what catches your eye.

Looks like the Aldrich neck is 9K ohms as well with an A-5 magnet.

Specifications:
Aldrich Bridge
DC RESISTANCE: ~ 17.5KΩ
Aldrich Neck
DC RESISTANCE: ~ 9.0KΩ
MAGNET TYPE: Alnico V Special
HOOK UP WIRE: 4-Conductor

It has a tighter bottom end response and highs are a little glassier.
That's a good description... 'glassier'. That's definitely how the Screamin' Demon sounds in the neck. Lively, glassy, clear, yet not thin! It's not like the Humbucker From Hell or anything...

Reactions: SFW
Maybe start with a higher output A-5 PAF then. I've seen some Duncan 59B around 9K ohms tops. Arcane make a PAF clone which is about 9.2K ohms. Anything overwinding above 10K the pickup isn't much of a PAF any longer if you want that clarity and spank of a PAF.

Fralin make some hotter PAF's where you can choose the output, you'll just have to look around and see what catches your eye.

Looks like the Aldrich neck is 9K ohms as well with an A-5 magnet.

Specifications:
Aldrich Bridge
DC RESISTANCE: ~ 17.5KΩ
Aldrich Neck
DC RESISTANCE: ~ 9.0KΩ
MAGNET TYPE: Alnico V Special
HOOK UP WIRE: 4-Conductor
The Aldrich neck is essentially an SSV Bridge.

I remember a Suhr dealer telling me this when I tried to get an SSV Bridge for an LP and they were out.

Back