Are these Chinese or UK V30's

Nope they don't have a 50 on the sticker, so I guess maybe they are UK made then, OK cool. I tried em out in my Avatar cab and they sound alright, not as good as some of my other V30's though, maybe they just need some break in time?? Are you sure about no celestion speakers being made in china since covid?? That's weird.
Another tell is whether the model number on the sticker has an A (China) or B (UK) suffix.

They’re all nuts. Several years ago I A/B’ed several Chinese versus Ipswich V30s. New, Broken in, in pairs, by themselves. I can hear the difference and you can keep the Chinese ones.
I've got good sounding Chinese and UK V30's... They all sound different though, every speaker.

I've always thought V30's are fine, even the dreaded Chinese ones from the 2010's. I'd much rather play those than any... I dunno... any Eminence, FWIW.

Worst speaker of all time : brand new V30s

Favorite speaker of all time : well broken in V30s
There might be a thing to this "break in" because I swear I hear a big difference between my 2006 V30's compared to my new ones. The old ones, like breath, ya know? They have this big round sound to them without being harsh. But I gotta say, the new speakers I got from 2021 sound REALLY good too, right out of the box. I got them in combination with the old 2006 chinese speakers I got in my Avatar cab and it sounds deadly. Don't know what i'm gonna do with these 2024 speakers yet??

I can’t prove it in any way but my experience with fresh new V30s compared to ones I’ve had for a few years or more has been consistent. Harshness dissipates and yes- they breathe more is a good way to put it. New ones tend to sound tight and slightly choked with a little harshness up top

Well save yourself some time and shitcan the V30s altogether and get some Cream 90s.

Not sure that vintage tones are what I usually chase white rabbits down holes for.
Although, it might be cool to try an alnico with headroom like that.

Not sure that vintage tones are what I usually chase white rabbits down holes for.
Although, it might be cool to try an alnico with headroom like that.
Yeah, seems most here are into the "Hi-gain, Chinese tubes, 80s hair band tones. Guess I'm an outlier. I can crank an SG or a Les Paul through my amp and get close enough to cranked Marshall territory for me. And I can play a Tele through it and get dangerously close to Clapton at Hyde Park tone.

I had a V30 in that amp for a hot minute. It was ok. To my ears better than the Oxford that came in it and the Utah the old man replaced it with, but not quite what I was after. NOS Blackplates, Mullards and Bugle Boys and the Cream 90 did it for me.

All original '61 except the period correct NOS caps put in it by Don Butler and of course the Cream 90. I know it isn't brown anymore. The old man bought it in the early 70s when he really wanted a blackface. I tried Naptha and it does take the kiwi black shoe polish off, but very slowly and with a lot of scrubbing. Fuck it, I ain't selling it so it can be off brown. 🤷‍♂️

1MxN6O5.jpg

Yeah, seems most here are into the "Hi-gain, Chinese tubes, 80s hair band tones. Guess I'm an outlier. I can crank an SG or a Les Paul through my amp and get close enough to cranked Marshall territory for me. And I can play a Tele through it and get dangerously close to Clapton at Hyde Park tone.

80s hair metal for me is also vintage tones o_O
1995-2005 is probably what I aim for the most part.
Not against vintage, I just don't generally seek it out unless it's Viennese.
Children of the Korn and all that jazz.

80s hair metal for me is also vintage tones o_O
1995-2005 is probably what I aim for the most part.
Not against vintage, I just don't generally seek it out unless it's Viennese.
Children of the Korn and all that jazz.
My last band was a 3 piece hard rock/alt band billed as music from the 90s forward. Lots of AIC, Deftones, Rage, Tool, Chevelle. Shit like that. My guitar player used one of those Joe Satriani Peavey heads and a Triple rectifier with old V30 loaded Marshall cabs. I used my '89 SVT II non pro, 2006 Dark Era "Eat Shit" 810cl and a Spector NS4.

Back