Badlander 25

• Thread starter Thread starter jinch0
  • Start date Start date
I much preferred my Badlander with 6L6's over the EL34's. I would love to try the 100 watter though.

I get why people buy them (portability), but for metal, the inherent added microphonics combos introduce are such a poor trade off.
???

Never heard that one before. Added microphonics? Like as in a ringing microphonic pre tube?

I’ve had a few Jubilee 2554 combos over the years; a black tolex 1988 version was my main gig amp for 5 yrs. Not one hint of microphonics, ever. Mostly hooked up to a G12 65 cab though; only time I used it as a standalone combo was at home for low volume practice.

???

Never heard that one before. Added microphonics? Like as in a ringing microphonic pre tube?

I’ve had a few Jubilee 2554 combos over the years; a black tolex 1988 version was my main gig amp for 5 yrs. Not one hint of microphonics, ever. Mostly hooked up to a G12 65 cab though; only time I used it as a standalone combo was at home for low volume practice.
@Racerxrated having a speaker close to the tubes can enhance the effect of a microphonic tube.

Here’s a short YouTube video so you can hear/see what I’m referring to.

@Racerxrated having a speaker close to the tubes can enhance the effect of a microphonic tube.

Here’s a short YouTube video so you can hear/see what I’m referring to.

Gotcha. So if one is starting to go, a combo speeds it up.
Interesting

It sounds great with those EL34's. I have a TC100 and recently tried a quad of JJ 6l6GC's in it.

It sounded more scooped with better deeper/looser bass, but the amp lost some of its liveliness.

If you try it with the 6L6's I'd recommend hitting it with a boost to get some of the mids back.
I am hitting it with the Suhr Koko Boost in this clip, with the amp in crunch mode - seems more articulate than the crush mode but still mean. With either tube variant I doubt the amp "needs" a boost, but it digs it - at least it feels livelier to play.

Back