Bargaining with Sweetwater

Gitfiddler

There is another thread talking about how expensive used to gear is on
Reverb. I Prefer to buy from Sweetwater, as I do believe that they actually do inspect the guitars they sell. However, I am looking at a guitar without a case on the Sweetwater site. Multiple dealers on reverb have the same guitar for the same price, and they include a case.

Has anyone leveraged reverb against Sweetwater to have the Sweetwater people sweeten the deal?

No, but I recently got them to drop the price on a Silver Jubilee that was already marked down BECAUSE someone posted a link to the amp on Ebay listed at $999 here on RT.

They "price matched" it.... BUT they don't price match. My "Sales Engineer" basically refunded the difference after I had already bought it.

Where I come from that's called "preventing a return".

Now, I have to mention that I have spent around $10k with Sweetwater in the last 6 months... so that might play a part since he specifically mentioned it.

I have, but only from my rep not replying to me ordering something. Tried twice. So went above him cuz I didn't get any reply. They dropped the price for me and I was happy with the follow up.

They'll always try to deal for you at Sweetwater, especially if you pit them against zounds, musicians friend, or americanmusical...

I got my Katana head for $315 cause I mentioned that another Rigtalk member got the same deal. They did it no problem.

They'll match only authorized retailers, but there are plenty of them on Reverb. I prefer buying from Sweetwater if it's new.
Otherwise, 10% off is easy, I've gotten them to match 15-20% off coupons from Guitar Center too.

Sweetwater price matched a high end guitar I was shopping for. I felt that I was even getting the better deal as Sweetwater does make sure the guitar is up to spec before shipping out.

In all honesty, the guitar SW received from the manufacturer did have an issue and I was informed. SW ordered another guitar for me. I rank SW customer service right up there with Mesa Boogie. Top Notch!

I just ordered an Audient ASP800($850),Gretsch Catalina Maple 7 piece drumkit($900), and DW3000 hardware set($350).
My rep knocked $50 off of each piece and sent me some free drum sticks.

I normally get 15% off of any piece of Gear when dealing with any online reseller. If they don't give it to me, I move onto another seller. As far as Sweetwater goes, I stopped buying from them when my rep stop giving me deals. I had purchased quite a bit from him but it didn't matter. They do have amazing customer service though. I might ask for a different rep in the future if I go back

Wizard of Ozz":119703j2 said:
If you buy a lot from them... they cut you deals. ;)
This :yes:
But you gotta be ready to throw down.
I always asked my Rep. 'I am ready to buy this NOW...
What is your absolute bottom line?'

And he always cane back with a killer price.
I am sure if I kicked his tires on several offers and not purchased.
he would note it and not give me sweet deals.
I always bought. :D

Mailman1971":5pis6x13 said:
Wizard of Ozz":5pis6x13 said:
If you buy a lot from them... they cut you deals. ;)
This :yes:
But you gotta be ready to throw down.
I always asked my Rep. 'I am ready to buy this NOW...
What is your absolute bottom line?'

And he always cane back with a killer price.
I am sure if I kicked his tires on several offers and not purchased.
he would note it and not give me sweet deals.
I always bought. :D

This. Be ready then purchase on that same phone call. Money talks.

Thanks. The case is <10% of the cost of the guitar. I would think they would accomodate since reverb dealers are offering discounts and including the case. We shall see

smucarolina":3ogj9ibk said:
one time got a evh 5150 III 50 watt head for $900 new...they will negotiate with reason to make a sale.

I got mine from them cheaper than that. I never pay full price on anything from them, ever. I ask for their best price, and that's what I get. Never a problem.

I like SW and Arend has given me good deals in the past, but I spend more with Musicians Friend. Everything I've bought from them is at least 15% off listed price and then you get another 8% in their Backstage points - which is basically 1 for 1 $ off the next thing I buy. Also, I usually get stuff in two days because of where they ship from.

Back