• Thread starter Thread starter midnightlaundry
  • Start date Start date

P-Bass or Modern Bass

• P-Bass

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • Modern Bass

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters
I have 2 P- Basses and 1 Jazz in my collection. All the others have been sold off.

This is all I need to cover the bass tones on any recording.

The top dog is my pawnshop rescue J-Bass.

Here’s my ‘74 Fender Jazz Bass

IMG_0508.jpeg

I can't do any P-bass, Spector, etc... that 1-3/4 nut drives me crazy, just don't get along with them. My stingray has the same nut size but, that neck is so worn in that it for some reason isn't an issue, but every other bass I've tried that size... I just can't get used to them.

Can't help but say it seeing as they were mentioned:

My 3 all-time-fave basses are...
MM Stingray
J-Bass
Warwick Thumb Bass

Sadly I've never owned either of the latter two. :(

EDIT:
My first serious bass was a '73 Sunburst P-Bass.

Replaced the PU's with EMGs after a studio owner laughed at the sound during a session, insisting that EMGs would take care of the punch and "boomy" low-end "problem".

It was kinda-better for my pop-fusion band after that, but still didn't quite do it for me, so like an absolute fool I popped the original PU's back in and sold it for next to nothing. Around $300 AU ($200 US) IIRC. :doh:

I can't do any P-bass, Spector, etc... that 1-3/4 nut drives me crazy, just don't get along with them. My stingray has the same nut size but, that neck is so worn in that it for some reason isn't an issue, but every other bass I've tried that size... I just can't get used to them.
Most of the Spectors I’ve played/owned are 1.625ish, not 1-3/4. P basses are a mix depending on the year. Mine currently are all 1.625ish.

I don’t do well with a Jazz neck. Too narrow for me.

Back