Best Amp sims PC? any advice/opinions?

• Thread starter Thread starter veji
  • Start date Start date
veji
veji
I have pod farm 2.5 so it will be 199$ for the upgrade to platinum or
overloud th2 or sgear or peavey revalver

those are my choices i already have amplitube 3 and guitar rig 5 pro.

any advice/opinions?

Anything I have ever paid for underwhelmed me.

Here's some freeware that will blow your mind.

The lepou or Poulin stuff is GODLY, sounds amazing. Engl, Mesa, Marshall, Soldano and other sims

Second place is the Nick Crow stuff and TSE tied. These guys focused on 6505/5150 type sims

Third place is the Ignite stuff. Ignite has a deadly bass sim and some nice guitar stuff too.

Some of these guys also make stomps that are pretty awesome as well.

All free and all beat the crap out of anything else. Mix in some effects that can be had with reaper or most DAWs if you need some delay and such and you are in business. However if you are looking to involve a lot of effects then you may wanna pick up guitar rig or revalver. If you are a fan of VST tweaking then Headcase would be the purchase for you.

For me it's the free stuff mixed with the 7 deadly sins cab sims pack which can be found via torrent or pay for the redwirez / ownhammer cab sims, cheap and they sound incredible.

If you need any more advice or help with VST stuff, PM me, I have tried it all.

I actually like Overloud TH2. The cab sims are better than anything else I've heard and the super lead model is pretty good.

guitarobert":1ctnj07w said:
I actually like Overloud TH2. The cab sims are better than anything else I've heard and the super lead model is pretty good.

Overloud, Amplitube, Revalver etc,, all good stuff but for cab sims, the redwirez/ownhammer stuff just kills anything else by a longshot in my experience.

Been using Scuffham for a while now. Love it. 15 day trial - $99 bucks if you're in. Using it live. Amazing.

IMO the Baron custom amp sim (it's free) blows away any LePou amp sim in the high gain category.

There's a fun but not very logical or useful Randall Satan copy sim out there too. Although I doubt it matches the real amp, it's good for a chuckle.

Both can be found on the Sneap forums.

Shark Diver":216u72h4 said:
Been using Scuffham for a while now. Love it. 15 day trial - $99 bucks if you're in. Using it live. Amazing.
Have never heard of that one. Looked it up, and I guess Im going to have to try it out. The clips sound pretty damn good.

maddnotez":2n68r8mk said:
IMO the Baron custom amp sim (it's free) blows away any LePou amp sim in the high gain category.

There's a fun but not very logical or useful Randall Satan copy sim out there too. Although I doubt it matches the real amp, it's good for a chuckle.

I downloaded the Baron and the Randall Solar sims from that Russian guy's site. I couldn't get a usable tone out of the Randall but I haven't worked with the Baron much. His mark V sim was crap as well. I'll have to put more time into the Baron later today.

timeroo":34m2g6kk said:
maddnotez":34m2g6kk said:

I downloaded the Baron and the Randall Solar sims from that Russian guy's site. I couldn't get a usable tone out of the Randall but I haven't worked with the Baron much. His mark V sim was crap as well. I'll have to put more time into the Baron later today.

For my application, the Baron sounded better at noon out of the gate then any of the LePou's did after tweaking them.

I do mostly high gain stuff and I like to blend the LE456 with the Nick Crow 5150 sim with a blend of IRs they fill each other out nicely.

One sim that frustrates me is the TSE X50. There's loads of potential but no matter how much I tweak there's always something wrong with it.

After all this talk I think I am going to sit down with my sims and newly acquired redwirez cabs and really tweak some new tones. I will try working with the Baron as well.

Another simple but notable sim is the dirthead.

One thing is huge is to find a good noise gate if you are working at higher or even mid level gain.

OH... just about forgot.. stay far away from all the ronald passion sims. They are absolute garbage. The sims crash all the time and cause havoc inside your DAW. Stay clear of those forsure.

timeroo":1yfroxc4 said:
I do mostly high gain stuff and I like to blend the LE456 with the Nick Crow 5150 sim with a blend of IRs they fill each other out nicely.

One sim that frustrates me is the TSE X50. There's loads of potential but no matter how much I tweak there's always something wrong with it.

After all this talk I think I am going to sit down with my sims and newly acquired redwirez cabs and really tweak some new tones. I will try working with the Baron as well.

Another simple but notable sim is the dirthead.

One thing is huge is to find a good noise gate if you are working at higher or even mid level gain.

What's wrong with the X50? I've been able to get some pretty cool tones out of it... Takes like 30 seconds of tweaking and bam:

I did spend a bunch of time with the X50 but that was before I had the ton of IRs I have now. Looking forward to doing so when I get home today.

Just use the built-in ones? Oh, and make sure you're using X50V2 - the latest one.

drjenkins":pz1ftgmb said:
Shark Diver":pz1ftgmb said:
Have never heard of that one. Looked it up, and I guess Im going to have to try it out. The clips sound pretty damn good.

I know everyone has different taste, but I love it. Very simple as well. Not a ton of good sims, just 4 great ones. I believe the designer is the same guy who did the Marshall JMP-1.

Shark Diver":mw22j7d4 said:
drjenkins":mw22j7d4 said:
Shark Diver":mw22j7d4 said:

I know everyone has different taste, but I love it. Very simple as well. Not a ton of good sims, just 4 great ones. I believe the designer is the same guy who did the Marshall JMP-1.

I used to love having tons of choices in digital amps until I realized I'd just gravitate towards 5 or 6 sounds. I'm now quickly becoming a fan of the simpler streamlined approach. Glad you posted up about this for sure.

drjenkins":36ox4w74 said:
Shark Diver":36ox4w74 said:
drjenkins":36ox4w74 said:
Shark Diver":36ox4w74 said:

I used to love having tons of choices in digital amps until I realized I'd just gravitate towards 5 or 6 sounds. I'm now quickly becoming a fan of the simpler streamlined approach. Glad you posted up about this for sure.

Hope it works for you too. I'm sure there are people who don't like it, but I love it. That is the great thing about forums - finding out about this stuff. I saw it on another forum.

Scuffham S Gear is good. I really like the demos of Revalver IV too.

Most of modeling issues are the cabinet models. Worse ones make the sound kind of blanketed or like a wah was half cocked. Cab models in S Gear are pretty good. Not as fizzy as A3, GR and so on. Overloud TH2 I upgraded in Sonar package deal. It's not any better than GR or A3.

Was gonna try the S-Gear Wayfarrer, but went with The TSE x50 v.2

Heard some killer demos on youtube...Killswitch stuff. Gonna fire it up today and use WOS and Ownhammer impulses as well. See how it goes.

Revalver has been my goto. Use some third party IRs and you are golden. You might want to hold off for version 4 though it is supposed to drop in April.
The newest version looks amazing.

Back