Best clean on a high gainer ?

• Thread starter Thread starter Dyllheaven88
  • Start date Start date
D
Dyllheaven88
Wondering what everyone’s opinions are on the best clean tone on a high gain amp, going between going all clean / pedals , or looking for a high gainer with a great clean tone .

I thought the cleans in my Engl rack were great (E530 Tube Preamp + E850/100 Tube Power Amp). I recently sold the E530 after 10+ years.

IMG_0334.JPG

I haven't tried one yet that can truly hold its own with the real greats for that, but some of my favorites haven been the Wizard's, the Gower KK++ Yehuda mentioned and the mark iic+, but it needs different settings than the gain ch and they share the knobs. Many of the other Mark's also have very nice cleans and have independent knobs of course for their channels and a lot cheaper than a iic+. The PRS MT100 is pretty good too for cleans

If you want an affordable amp that can actually somewhat rival the best cleans I've heard I'd say the '60's Ampeg Gemini II (other Ampeg's from that time are also great) or the Garnet Revolution III. Both super underrated amps

I haven't tried one yet that can truly hold its own with the real greats for that, but some of my favorites haven been the Wizard's, the Gower KK++ Yehuda mentioned and the mark iic+, but it needs different settings than the gain ch and they share the knobs. Many of the other Mark's also have very nice cleans and have independent knobs of course for their channels and a lot cheaper than a iic+. The PRS MT100 is pretty good too for cleans

If you want an affordable amp that can actually somewhat rival the best cleans I've heard I'd say the '60's Ampeg Gemini II (other Ampeg's from that time are also great) or the Garnet Revolution III. Both super underrated amps

Almost forgot, the clean on my JP-2C is very good too!

My Single Rectos ( series one ). Fat, sparkly BF cleans. Using my Tele just makes 'em even better.

My Single Rectos ( series one ). Fat, sparkly BF cleans. Using my Tele just makes 'em even better.
That's what I popped in to say.

I have a Rectoverb 50 and it has a separate clean channel/separate controls

I've had 4 C+s, and that amp used to be the king of the clean ch on a high gain amp but this PRS MT100 clean is even better. Great amp for 1800 new.

I don't own it anymore but was going to say JP-2C also. I think it had infinite headroom.

The newer Mesa Mark series cleans are fantastic.

That I've owned:
Mesa Mark V
PRS Archon
Marshall JVM410
Overdrive Supreme and clones

Couple I'd like to try:
Mark VII
Amplified Nation Ampliphonix and Gain

John Suhr's clean channels are phenomenal. Any of the OD100's or PT100's have a stellar clean channel. The Mesa Roadster with its LoneStar clean channel is excellent as well.

Back