Best compressor pedal withot being a Brad Paisly wanna be

• Thread starter Thread starter John4021
  • Start date Start date
JHS pulp n peel v4, can be had at good deal. I put it up against a handful and liked it much better than others.

If you're looking for vintage, clean and thick:
MXR Limiter (the red 4 kbob)

If you're looking for vintage, characterful and thick:
Boss CS-2 (3 knob)

If you're looking for clean and balanced EQ:
Diamond Comp (or the little Mooer Yellow clone)

And for chick'n pick'n country, the good ol' MXR Dyna Comp seems to do the trick mostly.

I'd love to try a Cali 76 one day.

As an up-front guitar effect a compressor is ultimately not something I need a lot of options on. Unless you’re going for some squashed quackiness a little goes a long way. Have a Barber Direct Drive I really only use with single coils and bass, and I use pretty light settings on it to boot. It is pretty much set and forget for how I like to use it.

Unless you’re going for some squashed quackiness a little goes a long way.
Speaking of which, I owned the MXR M76 Studio Compressor (guess where that '76' is referring to) for a while. Super clean and low noise floor. But very little character.

Bogner Lyndhurst .....It has a Neve designed transformer in it .....

Never heard of this so thank you for the reco. Huge fan of Rupert Neve and this one has his signature on it. I just found and bought a used Lyndhurst at GC for $130 which seems to be a great price.

Been using Wampler Ego comp since 2011.

Never heard of this so thank you for the reco. Huge fan of Rupert Neve and this one has his signature on it. I just found and bought a used Lyndhurst at GC for $130 which seems to be a great price.

Been using Wampler Ego comp since 2011.
that's a great price !

I've had mine a few years now .... it replaced my Keeley 4 knob

I wish I could play like Brad Paisley, don't get it twisted...guy can shred!!!
Was just using him as a chicken pickin country type.
I sat at a small back room bar gig he did so I know that boy can play.

No offense...... :cheers:

Was just using him as a chicken pickin country type.
I sat at a small back room bar gig he did so I know that boy can play.

No offense...... :cheers:
It's too late, I am offended! Now let's play some Devil Went Down To Georgia and drink this Pappy Van Winkle with me!!!

the Suhr ones were good for me. Koji and woodshed
+1

I own both these Suhr pedals, thr Woodshed and Koji

I recommend the Koji with the 18v adapter.

I've used many compressors and those did it for me.

I also have the Keely mini compressor and it's very unique in that it has a custom preamp built in so that your strat/les paul will sound great when plugged directly into a DAW or sound system. No amp sim/cab sim required. Surprised me.

I love the Wampler Ego. I have a love\hate with compressors tho, i'll put one on the board, love it, then the noise floor becomes an issue, i get pissed off and rip it off the board. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Ive tried several, at several price points.. I always end up back to the Boss CS-3. It gets the job done. I only ever use a subtle compression, and under high gain, vs those that use them for cleans.

Back