Best Power amp for the FISH

• Thread starter Thread starter rockerjt
  • Start date Start date
I will more than likely get either a 2:90 or a Fryette 2502 when I can afford it. Taking a cue from the great Chris Poland, I snagged a Mosvalve 962 on the cheap. I am going to use that until I round out the rest of the stuff for my rig (switching system, rack efx, shockmount rack). Once I get the rest taken care of, I will buy a great power amp to compliment the FISH.

RT2/50

Midi switching from 6L6 to EL34s or run a quad of your favorite tubes. Mute switch,easy front bias,Stereo or switching. :rock: Its a beast of an amp and belive it hangs right up there with the VHT 2/50/2 but with more flexibility. :yes:

That sounds interesting. Can you tell me who makes that power amp? I have never heard of it.

rockerjt":2rtlffmy said:
That sounds interesting. Can you tell me who makes that power amp? I have never heard of it.
Randall RT2/50 Designed by Egnater. His name is printed on all the boards.

I use a Marshall 9200.

Sounds killer, especially with 'Voice B' engaged when playing on the Brown and Shark channels. Obscenely loud and super punchy. The 9100 would probably be plenty.......

You can pick them up used for a reasonable price. The only issue is actually picking them up - they weigh a ton!

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Thanks Bro. I don't see them around here used much, and they would cost a bunch to ship. I'd be cool with the 9100; I play clubs and I don't need anything louder than 50 watts a side.

JT

rlord1974":qm0klcfi said:
I use a Marshall 9200.

Sounds killer, especially with 'Voice B' engaged when playing on the Brown and Shark channels. Obscenely loud and super punchy. The 9100 would probably be plenty.......

You can pick them up used for a reasonable price. The only issue is actually picking them up - they weigh a ton!

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Ive used extensively the boogie 2 90, vht 2 -50 2, 2-90-2...all good in thier own right-all a tad easier to afford, but when i ran my Fish through my 2150 & Classic-WOW!!!!..I'll say that you cant tell that youre playin thru a preamp to poweramp-it feels just like youre plugged straight into a bogner head-no joke......and being that we'll seem to never see the Bogner poweramps hit our livin rooms,this is about all the further one can go!

Little B":3lus584z said:
Ive used extensively the boogie 2 90, vht 2 -50 2, 2-90-2...all good in thier own right-all a tad easier to afford, but when i ran my Fish through my 2150 & Classic-WOW!!!!..I'll say that you cant tell that youre playin thru a preamp to poweramp-it feels just like youre plugged straight into a bogner head-no joke......and being that we'll seem to never see the Bogner poweramps hit our livin rooms,this is about all the further one can go!]

+1000

Even if some new power amps come out they will most likely be 2 spaces - so smaller transformers, more heat issues, compromises, etc.

(If I ever score a Bad Cat pre we will be exact rack brothers. :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL: )

I wouldove to get a classic, but I don't know that I will ever find one I can afford.

I settled on a Mos-Valve MV962 until a time when I can afford a VHT Classic; so many swear by that amp (particularly with the FISH), that I think that is the only way to go. Time to start saving. :)

Thanks for all the info guys.

My boogie 2:90 got here last monday ... I borrowed a HVT 2150 and ran them both last week ... for my taste, I'm glad I went with the 2:90 ....

So, I brought out my 2150 this week to pair with my Fish.

Fwiw, I don't remember it being this outrageously loud and huge.

I think I like my Rivera TBR3 a bit more.

I forgot that I had this on my harddisc, unfortunatly it's german.
I translate the essential part. The Interview is from 1991

Page 28

G&B: How do you amplify your preamp?

RB: I developed the "Fish" Preamps with the VHT poweramp, which
is manufactured by a buddy of mine, Steve Fryette, a guy who's really good.
The VHT is a very good poweramp, the low end sounds really huge.
It bugs me a little that she is a little bit "scooped" in the mids, but
his newest version seems to be perfect.
I was really surprised by the Peavey 120 Classic. for that money a steal.
Its not very loud, it has not the deepest low end but this thing really sings!

Page 29

G&B: If musicians buy from you, do they ask for your advise?

RB: Meanwhile I don't sell them myself, I sell them to a store, Makin' Music in L.A.
Andy Brauer used to be partners with them. The store is selling exclusively
Soldano, VHT and Bogner; he also sells Mesa-Boogie and Marshall of course.
It's the only store where you can buy Soldano exept from Mike Soldano directly.

Which Preamp? Soldano or Bogner. Which Poweramp? VHT of course...
So mostly the Bogner is sold together with the VHT.
And of course it's a good poweramp, but if you're sourwise leaning
a bit towards Marshall, you are better off with a Peavey Classic.

I recomment for the Bogner (with poweramp) 4x12" cabs loaded
with Celestion Vintage-30 speaker, or Vintage-25, but you need luck
to get good ones. Unfortunately they are totally different from each
other. With a Vintage-30 you are on the right side in almost every way...

Attachments

• Bogner_story_1.JPG
    Bogner_story_1.JPG
    453.3 KB · Views: 2,357
  • Bogner_story_2.JPG
    Bogner_story_2.JPG
    579.3 KB · Views: 2,360
  • Bogner_story_3.JPG
    Bogner_story_3.JPG
    510.1 KB · Views: 2,357
Cool, thanks for posting that interview. So I have to get a VHT, LOL. One of these days maybe.

rockerjt":pwg40x4t said:
Yeah, I excitedly called Bogner when I saw that pic, only to have Charlie tell me they were a mock up. I have a video where Mr. bogner is talking about these power amps, but I guess they never came to be. Too bad.
Piero the Guitarero":pwg40x4t said:
The best would be the Kraftwerk 1

4277926206_8d00ffeb15_b.jpg

SCNR :lol: :LOL: (I know that those are only faceplates w/ nothing behind it)

The Bogner website still has the Kraftwerk power amps listed in the news section:
A line of prototype poweramps called Kraftwerk were introduced for release in the fall of this year.

glassjaw7":33kkkpta said:
The Bogner website still has the Kraftwerk power amps listed in the news section:
A line of prototype poweramps called Kraftwerk were introduced for release in the fall of this year.

Then you should also update your own thread ;)

Kraftwerk Power Amps

Back