BOSS IR-2, Soldano Mini didn't jive. Ordered a Katana head

• Thread starter Thread starter romanianreaper
  • Start date Start date
FM3 and ToneX are the only things I have really liked into a computer monitor setup.

The Katanas are pretty cool amps, especially the head with a good cab. The trick is to get in the software and tweak the EQs.
You and I have always liked similar amps and tones over all these years. The FM3 is what I originally was going to get months ago.

You and I have always liked similar amps and tones over all these years. The FM3 is what I originally was going to get months ago.
I have loved Fractal for years, and I still have my old Axe II also, but there has definitely been something special in the updates over the last year, since the Cygnus X-3 series of updates for heavy sounds. The low end is getting more chuggy, and less mushy and boxy. That was always my #1 complaint on the Fractal tones. The FM3 might be overkill for what you want, but it is definitely a killer unit.

I have also been impressed with the ToneX software, as I mentioned in another thread. Again, something about the feel. It just feels dynamic and punchy, instead of flat and fuzzy like a lot of digital units. You have to download and sort to find your tone, but in general, I have been impressed with the overall feel. I am thinking about buying one of the pedals just so I can put my few favorite tones in a small pedal. I am using an old ass laptop to run the software, so I would assume the pedal would have even better latency, lol. I think the ToneX One would be a perfect small backup for 1-2 sounds.

let us know what you think of the katana. I have a Marshall Code for home wanking, but I want an effects loop

let us know what you think of the katana. I have a Marshall Code for home wanking, but I want an effects loop
Will do! I had a 1x12 Katana years ago but was before I was in a band and didn't get much time with it. They have updated them and never have owned the head.

I have loved Fractal for years, and I still have my old Axe II also, but there has definitely been something special in the updates over the last year, since the Cygnus X-3 series of updates for heavy sounds. The low end is getting more chuggy, and less mushy and boxy. That was always my #1 complaint on the Fractal tones. The FM3 might be overkill for what you want, but it is definitely a killer unit.

I have also been impressed with the ToneX software, as I mentioned in another thread. Again, something about the feel. It just feels dynamic and punchy, instead of flat and fuzzy like a lot of digital units. You have to download and sort to find your tone, but in general, I have been impressed with the overall feel. I am thinking about buying one of the pedals just so I can put my few favorite tones in a small pedal. I am using an old ass laptop to run the software, so I would assume the pedal would have even better latency, lol. I think the ToneX One would be a perfect small backup for 1-2 sounds.
I currently am without a computer, otherwise that might have been an option. I do only need one or two sounds for gigs anyway.

FM3 and ToneX are the only things I have really liked into a computer monitor setup.

The Katanas are pretty cool amps, especially the head with a good cab. The trick is to get in the software and tweak the EQs.
I ordered the Gen 3 head. I think if I dig the head and it sounds good with my setup, I think im going to get a Katana Artist 100 watt Combo. I love my Orange Super Crush 100 but limited compared with the Katana.

I'll still keep my Marshall, 5150-III, etc.

I just got the Katana head and even with having played these in Guitar Center numerous times over the years, really impressed with the few minutes I've had with it into my Marshall Origin vertical 2x12 cab. The "Bloom" and "Contour" buttons really add to the tone and open up more options. I haven't really delved in but already sounds great. Can definitely see myself upgrading to an Artist combo down the road.

The Katana obviously is not going to compete head to head with my tube amps but it sounds great and is easy to turn some knobs and get what you want out of it. Can't wait to mess with the editor! I think this is a great amp if keeping realistic and looking at it as another tool and not a replacement necessarily for tube amps.

I always thought the Katanas sounded good. I havent tried the newest version, but the ones I have played have sounded good, and more importantly, felt good to play.

I always thought the Katanas sounded good. I havent tried the newest version, but the ones I have played have sounded good, and more importantly, felt good to play.
If you liked the old ones you would dig these. The "pushed" amp, variations, and other options really opens things up.

Just curious if anyone has the Wazu speaker cabs and how they compare to typical cabs?

I wonder if the pushed and bloom enhancements transfer to recording direct with it or if it just sounds better through the speaker only?

Glad you like it out of the box. The editing software supposedly makes it a different amp. Keep us posted

I wonder if the pushed and bloom enhancements transfer to recording direct with it or if it just sounds better through the speaker only?
That is actually a good question. I'll have to see when I get a chance to mess around with it more.

Glad you like it out of the box. The editing software supposedly makes it a different amp. Keep us posted
Thanks! I have the Bluetooth adapter on the way. The software looks cool and has low mid adjustment and other things that are not on the panel. Should be cool!

Back