Boss SDE-3 (Poor man's SDE-3000)

• Thread starter Thread starter SteveGlitch
  • Start date Start date
SteveGlitch
SteveGlitch
Banned
Boss released another masterpiece, for just $219.

It's no secret that the SDE-3000 is the best WDW delay pedal on the market and it sounds better than the rack unit from the 80's. So after all the positive reviews and feedback, Boss decided to release the SDE-3, a compact pedal at a third of the price but with many features like tap, killer modulation and more!

I have the SDE-3000 and can say it's definitely one of my favorite delay pedals on the market. There's alot of uniqueness going on there so I'm looking forward to this!

You can look forward to my demo/review video soon! Definitely gonna be an add to my board :)

I love that small format delay pedals are finally starting to get Tone knobs.

Anybody know whether or not this pedal has analog dry through?

I saw this the other day when it came across my feed and Leon (let me demo the latest pedal like everyone else) Todd was walking through it and i don't think it sounded good at all the way he records.

I saw this the other day when it came across my feed and Leon (let me demo the latest pedal like everyone else) Todd was walking through it and i don't think it sounded good at all the way he records.
Not sure I watched that one, I've watched a few videos and the pedal sounds amazing. Beautiful and clean, it doesn't sound exactly the same as the SDE-3000 but it sounds pretty damned beautiful.

I just watched that this morning and thought it sounded great, personally.

Seems like the perfect compact delay pedal for any 80's metal lover. I'll just be getting one for church where I use more cleaner/overdrive tones, I didn't expect them to release this so when I get mine, it will definifely change my boards.

How different is this from a Strymon Dig? Overall, seems fairly similar with similar sounds. Even the same footprint roughly when you count side jacks versus top jacks.

How different is this from a Strymon Dig? Overall, seems fairly similar with similar sounds. Even the same footprint roughly when you count side jacks versus top jacks.
If the SDE-3 be using the same technology as the SDE-3000 than I'd say better, than the DIG. Either way doe, I'm guessing they're 2 very different beasts that are able to get similar results.

I am curious about this also. I have a Flashback 2 I use for this sort of thing now.

I am curious about this also. I have a Flashback 2 I use for this sort of thing now.
How do you like the TC Electronic? I heard it's packed with alotta great models

How do you like the TC Electronic? I heard it's packed with alotta great models
Personally, I think it sounds great. It has a lot of modes, and it is one of the few that is analog dry through, and can do dual delay with modulation, with a quarter+dot setting. I like the cleaner 2290 setting, and I think the analog settings sound good also. I dont really care about all the shimmer modes and such.

Biggest downfall is probably that you need a computer/phone to access all the deep settings. If you want dual delays, or want to fine-tune the modulation settings and such, you have to do it in an app. You can dial in about anything though. It even makes a great Chorus by using the TriChorus modulation settings.

A few months ago I traded in a bunch of pedals I wasn't using and got the Corona, Flashback 2, and Hall of Fame 2. I have a G Major 2, and thought these would be a good set to have for similar sounds. I think they all sound great.

Personally, I think it sounds great. It has a lot of modes, and it is one of the few that is analog dry through, and can do dual delay with modulation, with a quarter+dot setting. I like the cleaner 2290 setting, and I think the analog settings sound good also. I dont really care about all the shimmer modes and such.
Sounds pretty versatile, and yeah, I used to be an analog/tape guy but these days I've really learned to love a hi-def digital delay with the hi-cut. The TC 2290 always looked pretty cool to me, I called the Terminator delay pedal and the SDE-3000 the Robocop delay pedal.
Biggest downfall is probably that you need a computer/phone to access all the deep settings. If you want dual delays, or want to fine-tune the modulation settings and such, you have to do it in an app. You can dial in about anything though. It even makes a great Chorus by using the TriChorus modulation settings.
That's my issue with some TC and UAFX pedals, I hare having to use some phone or pc app to access anything. I don't mind needing a pc or phone to update a pedals firmware - BUT to access anything, that's an annoyance. That said, I do love the UAFX amp sim pedals that utilize apps.
A few months ago I traded in a bunch of pedals I wasn't using and got the Corona, Flashback 2, and Hall of Fame 2. I have a G Major 2, and thought these would be a good set to have for similar sounds. I think they all sound great.
Always wanted to try the Corona, now I want to try the FastTrack and the Hall Of Rape 2 as well.

Thanks!

Sounds pretty versatile, and yeah, I used to be an analog/tape guy but these days I've really learned to love a hi-def digital delay with the hi-cut. The TC 2290 always looked pretty cool to me, I called the Terminator delay pedal and the SDE-3000 the Robocop delay pedal.

That's my issue with some TC and UAFX pedals, I hare having to use some phone or pc app to access anything. I don't mind needing a pc or phone to update a pedals firmware - BUT to access anything, that's an annoyance. That said, I do love the UAFX amp sim pedals that utilize apps.

Always wanted to try the Corona, now I want to try the FastTrack and the Hall Of Rape 2 as well.

Thanks!

With the editor you can fine tune the EQ, and decay rate, and how to map the decay curves to the knobs, and all kinds of detailed stuff. Even with all that though, I just think the overall tone sounds good, and it doesn't mess with your base tone, which is something I am very picky about.

The App thing can be annoying, but there is really no other way to get that much control without having a pedal the size of a pedalboard. I haven't tried the UA pedals, but have been very interested in the Golden.

I really like the Corona for the TriChorus sounds. It is not great at that wavy thick analog Chorus, but it great for the digital multichorus type thing. Something that just makes the tone sound wider without too much alteration of the main sound.

The Hall of Fame is good, but some people are not a fan. Overall, I think TC Electronics Reverb is more clear and neutral as compared to say Lexicon style reverb. There is definitely a difference between TC and Lexicon style reverbs, and I think you either like them or you dont. I didn't use to like the TC reverbs, but it has grown on me.

Clarity and volume stability is important. Strymon products seem to have some aliasing issues.

I used a Mooer Ocean Machine for a good bit but even when it was off, it changed the tone a bit. Also, the second delay on it had a major volume drop that wasn't there when I first started using the pedal.

The MXR Joshua took it's place (For now). I'm not exactly happy with the Johua either, and that's mainly because the Joshua cab do chorus, shimmer and delay modes but no reverb so it feels like it's missing that thing. It also doesn't have a tone knob which would have been extremely helpful. Still prefer it over the Keely Halo. So I'm sticking it with the Wampler Ethereal (Delay+Reverb pedal) and the Walrus Lore ambient reverb.

I don't think any delay pedal will ever overthrow the SDE-3000 and I eagerly await the Boss SDE -3 (already pre-ordered it).

I think this is the coolest compact delay pedal Boss has done. It feels like the true culmination of what they started with the DD-2.

Is this the first compact delay from Boss to have rate and depth controls for modulation?

Back