Brad Gillis with Ozzy . Brads time

• Thread starter Thread starter Techdeth
  • Start date Start date
I saw BG in an interview. He said he literally had to learn the whole Ozzy [at that time] catalog overnite and begin the tour.
Except that part isn't true.. he already new a lot of the songs being a fan and he had time between 4 or 5 shows to sit stage side until he was ready and Bernie took off. ( it is discussed in the clip above as well) It was Bernie that only had a few days to get up to speed on the flight over and then a bit before his first show. Still not an easy task, but they make him out to have never heard an Ozz song before. I hate his playing on the Ozzy stuff but he did a good job on his Sabbath covers. I can see why Randy didn't like the Sabbath stuff though. A lot of it drudges along. I would have loved to hear Randy doing symptoms of the universe though. I bet he would have tore that one up just like Children of the Grave.

What a crazy period after Randy’s tragic death. You had Bernie then Brad for touring, this story on Robert Sarzo, the story of Marq Torien briefly getting hired for the next album, Lynch briefly thinking he had it, then finally Jake.

Except that part isn't true.. he already new a lot of the songs being a fan and he had time between 4 or 5 shows to sit stage side until he was ready and Bernie took off. ( it is discussed in the clip above as well) It was Bernie that only had a few days to get up to speed on the flight over and then a bit before his first show. Still not an easy task, but they make him out to have never heard an Ozz song before. I hate his playing on the Ozzy stuff but he did a good job on his Sabbath covers. I can see why Randy didn't like the Sabbath stuff though. A lot of it drudges along. I would have loved to hear Randy doing symptoms of the universe though. I bet he would have tore that one up just like Children of the Grave.
yer splitting hairs bro to fit your own narrative.
I'll take Brads word over your extensive knowlege.
The Ozbournes have fucked over and burned more people in thier obcession to be rich than anyone in rock.
Gillis has no reason to make shit up. He's a total success story.
Gillis with ozzy is like the Korean War. Its forgotten.
G. Lynch was passed twice for O.O. once before Rhoads and right after his death. Im glad too.

So what if in an altered universe Randy didn’t crash and lived today. Randy would be here today possibly with ozzy; Ie jake, zakk and the rest of the players would be where? Would they even be and what would music be like? Imagine life without bark at the moon, shot in the dark, ultimate sin, mama, I’m coming home, no more tears? What if? It’s not; BUT would jake or Zakk ever been something, and how would music be different today. I think Zakk might have been an integral part of how music changed in late 80s to 90s. Jake not so much but zakk was and probably is still really influential regardless of what people think of his vibrato or pentatonic runs. There was something really different about him during that time. Ehhh. Just playing Saturday night what if while I wind down with a High Life beer

One of the most killer intro tunes to kick off the Album of all time imho. Still get goosebumps hearing that SOTU guitar riff open the album. Gillis' playing gave these old Sabbath tunes great new breath. One of my favorite live records, even though it's not 'truly' live.

Same with the 2002 re-recordings of Blizzard, where Rob Trujillio suddenly plays bass instead of Bob Daisley. And without any unsubtlety. Especially 'Goodbye to Romance' is horrid.
Blizzard and Diary. Absolutely classless move re recording the bass and drums on those two sacred masterpieces to screw Daisley and Kerslake out of royalties.
Ozzy and Sharon are scum.

Have you seen Sharon's face or Kelly's lately? My god lay off the plastic surgeries.
They have morph into something hideous

Blizzard and Diary. Absolutely classless move re recording the bass and drums on those two sacred masterpieces to screw Daisley and Kerslake out of royalties.
I just found out the 2011 re-issue of Blizzard has the original Daisley/Kerslake tracks. I'm gonna get that one and probably throw my 2002 version away or give it to goodwill or something. Fuck that mix.

yer splitting hairs bro to fit your own narrative.
I'll take Brads word over your extensive knowlege.
The Ozbournes have fucked over and burned more people in thier obcession to be rich than anyone in rock.
Gillis has no reason to make shit up. He's a total success story.
Gillis with ozzy is like the Korean War. Its forgotten.
G. Lynch was passed twice for O.O. once before Rhoads and right after his death. Im glad too.
Brad says it himself..he sat stage side for a bunch of shows. Ultimately it is splitting hairs but I point that out mainly because people talk about how bad Bernie was but that guy A. Didn't know the material , and B. had only a few days and a plane ride before his first show. So the timelines of those two guys are getting mixed up in folklore. That's all I am saying.

Sounds like Lynch got fucked over the most by that crew but I suppose his style just wouldn't have worked that well.

Agreed.. i'd love someone to do a mashup of those back to back. Guarantee you can hear/feel the difference in the drums

So what if in an altered universe Randy didn’t crash and lived today. Randy would be here today possibly with ozzy; Ie jake, zakk and the rest of the players would be where? Would they even be and what would music be like? Imagine life without bark at the moon, shot in the dark, ultimate sin, mama, I’m coming home, no more tears? What if? It’s not; BUT would jake or Zakk ever been something, and how would music be different today. I think Zakk might have been an integral part of how music changed in late 80s to 90s. Jake not so much but zakk was and probably is still really influential regardless of what people think of his vibrato or pentatonic runs. There was something really different about him during that time. Ehhh. Just playing Saturday night what if while I wind down with a High Life beer

Honestly, no difference. Randy would have finished the tour and probably said hell no to doing Sabbath tunes and a Speak of the Devil live album. It is pretty much well known that he didn't like playing Sabbath tunes and also pretty clear that he was fed up with Ozzy's antics and wanted to move on. Maybe they would have done a third album and that could have been cool but I think he was always destined to split from that scene. So you might not have had Brad and you would have moved on to Jake.

Then they might have done a Blizzard 25 yr anniversary tour or something just to pad their bank accounts because Randy might have ended up broke and only getting pennies from Jackson or MXR for endorsements..

I saw BG in an interview. He said he literally had to learn the whole Ozzy [at that time] catalog overnite and begin the tour.
I used to think that was the case too, from stories but a more realistic version is presented in the video above, which also made a lot more sense. Gillis already knew some songs from a cover band he was in, got to rehearse with the band but no Ozzy. First time he played with Ozzy in a band setting was the his first night doing an actual show.
But all that will probably change when the next round of talking head vids circulate in 10 years. 😉

SOTD was my first time hearing most of those Sabbath tunes. I decided I wanted to check out some Ozzy, and that's the cassette they had, and the album cover probably clinched it. When you grow up in a rural Midwest town, the chronology of how you're introduced to music is a little askew. Local radio wasn't playing metal, and neither was MTV really. You hear about artists from like-minded friends, then grab whatever the area stores might have.

I love the energy of that version of Symptom of the Universe. Once I started playing guitar, SOTD is where I learned a lot of the Sabbath tunes for the first time.

Ozzy and Sharon were , and are, a real piece of work as a couple. Ozzy would play the friendly doofus who just wanted to play and have a band while Sharon was the cut throat, impressario cheapskate. Ozzy was well aware and cognizant of Sharon’s ways and was OK with it. There was no way they’re re-recording Daisley and Kerslake’s parts without him fully aware and OK with it. Also the shit pay and writing credits for other members. Fully aware. Just tried to hide behind his fake, bumbling, I don’t know what’s going on persona.
Any decent man who wasn’t OK with that way of doing business would have fired or, at least overridden that manager and divorced such a bitch of a woman. I actually don’t hold an artist against who they are as a person, so easily will keep enjoying his music solo and with Sabbath but I certainly don’t celebrate him as a human being.

I can’t find ‘Flying High Again’ with Rob Trujillio anywhere?!🤔
I’ve heard about this for years but never heard this version.
Can somebody post it?🙏

Interesting that they recorded half with and without an audience.. Then OO rerecorded all the vocals.. Fucker. I feel cheated.. LOL
I played this record a lot BITD..

BG had that singing tone..
i'm just shocked Ozzy is wearing a wig on the cover hahaha

I heard and interview where Max said Ozzy redid the vocals in someones lounge the same night as the second show .... his story is different here so who knows

Back