Cab/Speaker Advice - Hating Chinese V30s Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter vultures
  • Start date Start date
I picked up an Orange 4x12 slant recently. I'd never played a slanted Orange 4x12, but I've owned a few straight baffled ones, they sounded massive, but they were older. This cab sounds straight up weak to my ears and after I invited a buddy over and he jammed on it, he felt the same.

I popped off one of the handles and took a peak inside to see 4 16Ω Celestion V30's that were.. Made in China...
d2ba5fec0860441f6de1daf8a7b91e2c6ce50b9f.gifv

I've never owned a cab with such insultingly inferior speakers. This whole time I doubted the cabinet, I thought it must have been made out of particle board. It is not! It's solid birch plywood. It's a USA made cabinet. Why would they sully this quality construction with this disgusting excuse for speakers? I had planned to swap in 2 Creambacks I have in the cab to make an X Pattern V30/Creamback combo, but my Creambacks are 8Ω.

My options are:
- Trade it for a Mesa 4x12
- Sell the Chinese V30s and try out something different like WGS Veteran 30s?
- Sell the Chinese V30s, buy 2 8Ω UK V30s, pop em in with the creamboys
- Will the cab even sound good with good speakers in it? Man I'm all fucked up.

What are the V30s to look out for? They have codes telling what year and which manufacturer ordered them? I'd order a pair straight from Mesa but they're sold out. I'm weary about ordering from Sweetwater or another online store since they're non-refundable and I don't want to risk buying Chinese crap.
Break them in. Honestly.

One cheap idea to try (after making sure things are wired correctly per @Greazygeo) is to remove two speakers, leave the mounting holes open, and run the cab with the remaining two speakers in parallel for 8 ohms. In my experience there is a noticeably change in sound and behavior. No idea if you'll like it this way or not (I generally do), but it's one more option to try before possibly spending more money.

Last edited:
I should mention, the cab dates to 2018, should be pretty well broken in. The more I'm thinking about it and reading these suggestions, the more I'm agreeing with @Racerxrated and I think the cab itself is just not right. I'm definitely curious about the Avatar AV60s and Fane F70's, but I think I'd be even more cheesed off if I got great speakers in this thing and it still didn't bring the beefy low end.

I should also mention that I'm just playing straight death metal on this thing.
I have A vertical 2x12 on casters that did not have a lot of low end thump to it. Using a small Marshall head now with 2 x AV60s and am able to turn the bass down. First time I've been able to drop bass on a Marshall and have a bull bass and tight thump! I have not tried the F70s. They seem like they have less body and thickness than the AV60s. I would seriously consider mixing V30 variants with Greenbacks to fill out the spectrum.

If you wait a few days, I'll have the AV75s to check out as well. The descriptions on the Avatar site are accurate. M65 is like a perfected creamback. The 60 is a perfected V30 with a bunch of added bass and body and no ice pick.

Next to validate: The 75 has tons of bottom and top without being scooped.

Last edited:
I should also mention that I'm just playing straight death metal on this thing.

Check the wiring and make sure it’s wired correctly. If it is, straight up don’t fuck with it and sell it. I agree with others that I generally don’t dislike Chinese V30s so to me it sounds like either it’s wired wrong or just isn’t a good sounding cab.

Just my opinion, but V30’s are going to sound like ass in the top of an angled cab regardless. I would probably start by replacing the top speakers with something less aggressive to the ears.

Yeah I'd agree to trade it or sell it and go for a Mesa.

Oversized/Recto slant is very close in regards to internal volume compared to a traditional-size straight cab, so don't resist the very easy to find recto-slant, even if it's much newer than the 2000's era it will still have the 8ohm UK V30 which are almost certain to sound thicker and fuller than the 16ohm in the Orange.

One cheap idea to try (after making sure things are wired correctly per @Greazygeo) is to remove two speakers, leave the mounting holes open, and run the cab with the remaining two speakers in parallel for 8 ohms. In my experience there is a noticeably change in sound and behavior. No idea if you'll like it this way or not (I generally do), but it's one more option to try before possibly spending more money.
Another suggestion is to try some batting inside; changes the tone but might be for the better compared to what it sounds like now.

Drill some holes in the baffle until you're comfortable with the lows :ROFLMAO:

Just my opinion, but V30’s are going to sound like ass in the top of an angled cab regardless. I would probably start by replacing the top speakers with something less aggressive to the ears.
What? Lol

So many metal albums were recorded micing a v30 in the top angled position.

If they’re shitty v30s, they’re shitty. Get rid of it. Trade for the Mesa cab if that’s the option. Speakers are a lottery.

I love these speakers. I play thrash on an 8 string . It does something I like more than my others . Is it better . IDK . But it gets me exactly what I wanted with my heads

Someone did a pretty solid review of Chinese vs UK V30’s and demonstrated it was most likely the differences between 8ohm and 16ohm speakers that people are hearing.

Someone did a pretty solid review of Chinese vs UK V30’s and demonstrated it was most likely the differences between 8ohm and 16ohm speakers that people are hearing.
Maybe. Both mine were 8 ohm though and broken in and I heard the difference. Not that it matters. I sold them both. I replaced it with a Cream 90.

Now that I think about it I believe I do still have the British V30 somewhere. I haven't seen it in awhile though.

Here it is. He chalks up the minor variations to manufacturing. Can’t remember if he tests that as well.

Back