Cab/Speaker Advice - Hating Chinese V30s Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter vultures
  • Start date Start date
Sure alot of us have had v30 cabs at one point. But the mids mids mids phase is played out and boring no?

I've been shooting out so many speakers lately and if I had to put out a cab for 'anyone and everyone' I would probably match an AV60 (V30) with a Fane M65 (Creamback). If it were in a 4x12, I would 'X' pattern the speakers. If I just A/B the speakers - I actually prefer the M65 overall every time. Some sort of depth and punch that I particularly enjoy. For me, I would go all M65s at this point. I guess I just love the mid-range grunt and superb clarity. A smoothing out of anything you could even think to call fizz. The AV60 sounds like it would stand out more in a mix/live situation and has a beautiful harmonic richness. Mixed togeher - makes a wicked sound.

I will continue to update my ongoing speaker thread here on RT as well. Excited, as the AV75s will be in soon and I'll let you know how those go!

Last edited:
Rising Farce has a demo of the AV75 up and it sounds pretty damn good.

Here it is. He chalks up the minor variations to manufacturing. Can’t remember if he tests that as well.

To me it looks like he went in thinking there was no difference. But there was a difference and he dismissed it. In any case, they were both new speakers. I'd be interested in older ones just because that's where the 'myths' came from.

Somebody here did an extensive test of a bunch of V30's of all different heritage and age and impedance. It was a huge undertaking but I can't find it at the moment. Some of those speakers sounded really different.

Found it, over 50 different V30s...and over an hour!

EDIT: go to 22:20 and there's a concise explanation. Basically they vary a LOT up to around 2000, then they are consistent (and good) until about 2004, then they tend to have a spike at around 5k-6k, but not always.

Last edited:
Sure alot of us have had v30 cabs at one point. But the mids mids mids phase is played out and boring no?
The mids mids mids thing sucks for sure. I use V30s but try to balance them with the amps on board eq by using what seem to be scooped settings, but with the V30s it turns out to be balanced.

i remember my old bandmate long ago buying a randall XL 4x12 with v30s which people loved then and still do now, this cab though was just awful in every way, i cant help but think something had to be fucked up and it was out of phase or something cause theres no way with any v30 it could have been as bad as it was if everything else was functioning properly.
I had one of those XLs. It hung with my mills all day

You have to figure in cabinets also. A speaker will sound different in different cabs. Bogner cabs use current Chinese V30s and they sound great because of the cab design.

Last edited:
I’m pretty sure my Bogner and Splawn cabs came with Wuhan V30’s? They sound great. Friedman's come with them as well

Take a bottle of Dasani to those chinese V30's and let them air dry thoroughly. You might be surprised.....
Who the fuck is talking to you guys? seriously, inform me, I'm interested. Yes i've said things about Dasani and bottled water in general.

I should mention, the cab dates to 2018, should be pretty well broken in. The more I'm thinking about it and reading these suggestions, the more I'm agreeing with @Racerxrated and I think the cab itself is just not right. I'm definitely curious about the Avatar AV60s and Fane F70's, but I think I'd be even more cheesed off if I got great speakers in this thing and it still didn't bring the beefy low end.

I should also mention that I'm just playing straight death metal on this thing.

View attachment 337254

View attachment 337251

View attachment 337260
Dude the speakers are great for tight metal . Ate you going for a tight tone ? What’s a time you can share you go for ?

I've also heard many comparisons and I'll say that I think the chinese vs UK thing is bullshit. The chinese speakers sound better a lot of the times to my ears.

I definitely prefer the sound of the older uk made v30s, but I wouldn't say I've heard a chinese one that sounded bad

The 9v battery test should be performed - I would also take a multimeter and check the wiring thoroughly

As far as replacing the speakers, if you're dead set on it, I would definitely get 2 of something completely different that the v30 and run them with the v30s in the cabinet to start out with. But only if you're in love with the aesthetics of the orange cabinet.

If it was me? I would probably sell the thing and look for a 4x12 that sounds closer to what you want out of the box.

For death metal, what about a vader? or something like that. One of those gigantic boogie cabs with 12Ls. There's a ton of great options, but it depends what KIND of death metal tone were talking about here.

Back