Computer Rig 2

• Thread starter Thread starter rsm
  • Start date Start date
R
rsm
I documented making my first computer rig for guitar here: https://www.rig-talk.com/forum/threads/computer-guitar-rig.280097/

Works great, but I want something smaller and more portable.

I found a renewed Dell Rugged Extreme tablet for around $200 which will be delivered today. It has an integrated 11.6" touchscreen, i5 chip, 8 GB RAM, and 128GB SSD

I plan to use the wireless keyboard, Arturia MiniFuse 1 audio interface, and my KMI SoftStep2 from my Computer Rig 1, with some of the same plugins; depends on how much storage I have available.

The two main plugins are Blue Cat Audio's PatchWork, and PolyChromeDSP - McRocklin Suite.

PatchWork let's me create patches using different plugins; then I use these PatchWork patches in my SoftStep2 with up to 10 presets per map; I've yet to go deeper into the MIDI controls to do live parameter changes and adjustments, which is powerful but haven't really needed yet.

PolyChromeDSP - McRockling Suite is my fav guitar plugin; sounds amazing; easy to use and very versatile.

Going to see if I can do everything I want and need with these two plugins before I add anymore (Neural DSP plugins, Helix Native, Marshall Amp Room, BCA Axiom,...)

I also ordered a longer USB cable to be able to move the audio interface near my mixer, and have the tablet remote. That means a longer instrument cable back to the audio interface, and shorter output cables from the audio interface into the mixer.

Here's the tablet:

715ac3zHDTL._AC_SX679_.jpg

...and the wireless mini keyboard and audio interface (with the cube desktop computer from Computer Rig 1):

computer-audio-interface.JPG

I documented making my first computer rig for guitar here: https://www.rig-talk.com/forum/threads/computer-guitar-rig.280097/

Works great, but I want something smaller and more portable.

I found a renewed Dell Rugged Extreme tablet for around $200 which will be delivered today. It has an integrated 11.6" touchscreen, i5 chip, 8 GB RAM, and 128GB SSD

I plan to use the wireless keyboard, Arturia MiniFuse 1 audio interface, and my KMI SoftStep2 from my Computer Rig 1, with some of the same plugins; depends on how much storage I have available.

The two main plugins are Blue Cat Audio's PatchWork, and PolyChromeDSP - McRocklin Suite.

PatchWork let's me create patches using different plugins; then I use these PatchWork patches in my SoftStep2 with up to 10 presets per map; I've yet to go deeper into the MIDI controls to do live parameter changes and adjustments, which is powerful but haven't really needed yet.

PolyChromeDSP - McRockling Suite is my fav guitar plugin; sounds amazing; easy to use and very versatile.

Going to see if I can do everything I want and need with these two plugins before I add anymore (Neural DSP plugins, Helix Native, Marshall Amp Room, BCA Axiom,...)

I also ordered a longer USB cable to be able to move the audio interface near my mixer, and have the tablet remote. That means a longer instrument cable back to the audio interface, and shorter output cables from the audio interface into the mixer.

Here's the tablet:

715ac3zHDTL._AC_SX679_.jpg

...and the wireless mini keyboard and audio interface (with the cube desktop computer from Computer Rig 1:)

View attachment 337326

I saw in your picture that you have a Behringer Xenyx mixer; Is that the mixer/USB Interface? My other guitarist is going to let me borrow his but I think it's a 12 channel version.

Reactions: rsm
My home bedroom rig was a Line 6 Toneport UX1 USB recording interface hooked up to HP Pavilion p6-2100 Windows 7 Home Edition desktop computer through Altec Lansing computer speakers (2 desktop speakers and small sub on floor).

I'm also trying to update my bedroom computer recording rig and have a new HP Windows 11 laptop with an 11th generation Intel Core i3 Quad Core Processor but it only has 2 USB and 1 USB-C outs and a new LG (34BQ77QB-B) 34" UltraWide WQHD Curved IPS 60 Hz LED Monitor with Built-in Universal Docking Station.

My other guitarist is going to let me borrow his Behringer X1204USB mixer/USB Interface & here it is in the link below:

https://www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=0601-ACW

I want to get a new USB recording interface that has Zero Latency & keep the Toneport UX1 for backup & stop using the old Altec Lansing computer speakers & get a pair of affordable, great sounding studio monitors.

I saw in your picture that you have a Behringer Xenyx mixer; Is that the mixer/USB Interface? My other guitarist is going to let me borrow his but I think it's a 12 channel version.
yes, it's Xenyx Q1002USB, several years old

My home bedroom rig was a Line 6 Toneport UX1 USB recording interface hooked up to HP Pavilion p6-2100 Windows 7 Home Edition desktop computer through Altec Lansing computer speakers (2 desktop speakers and small sub on floor).

I'm also trying to update my bedroom computer recording rig and have a new HP Windows 11 laptop with an 11th generation Intel Core i3 Quad Core Processor but it only has 2 USB and 1 USB-C outs and a new LG (34BQ77QB-B) 34" UltraWide WQHD Curved IPS 60 Hz LED Monitor with Built-in Universal Docking Station.

My other guitarist is going to let me borrow his Behringer X1204USB mixer/USB Interface & here it is in the link below:

https://www.behringer.com/product.html?modelCode=0601-ACW

I want to get a new USB recording interface that has Zero Latency & keep the Toneport UX1 for backup & stop using the old Altec Lansing computer speakers & get a pair of affordable, great sounding studio monitors.
My main audio interface is an Audient Evo 8; the Arturia MiniFuse 1 is small and cheap, and works fine for a guitar plugin host computer rig which isn't a recording rig.

It's working out well! Downloading Windows 11; may not need the external keyboard!

Here's a pic of the desktop with PolyChromeDSP - McRocklin Suite running.

IMG_0605 - Copy.JPG

Back