Dan Huff on an EVH tone detail and other ramblings (like how much bass in guitar tone)

• Thread starter Thread starter SpiderWars
  • Start date Start date
Like how they talk about midrange and you want a sound where you don’t have to crank a fader to hear it. So many amps people talk about the low end but it’s useless in a full mix and big lows will likely get shelved out for the bass, synths and kick drum. Just need enough body to give the note some weight without it turning into a bass guitar wannabe.

Like how they talk about midrange and you want a sound where you don’t have to crank a fader to hear it. So many amps people talk about the low end but it’s useless in a full mix and big lows will likely get shelved out for the bass, synths and kick drum. Just need enough body to give the note some weight without it turning into a bass guitar wannabe.
This. Of all the things Dan said that fateful day at the seminar, I remember this the most. Dan said that by the time you roll enough gain off your sound to hear the individual strings, roll enough bass off that you are not fighting for the same sonic real-estate as your bass player and kick drum, and nudge the mids enough to be heard without turning up - you will very likely HATE your tone (!). His advice was to set your rig up that way and practice with THAT sound until you stop thinking about it and just let your fingers and pick do their job.

I‘ve commented on other threads about how some of the ‘Iso’ guitar tracks that are available today sound SO different than how our brains heard and processed the guitar tone in the final mix. Sykes Still of the Night comes to mind. In the mix, my brain hears all this smooth gain and thumping low end. The iso track is a LOT more ‘sparse’ than it sounds in the final full mix.

Back