Dave Friedman Introduces the All-New Friedman PLEX - In-Depth Review

• Thread starter Thread starter JohnnyGtar
  • Start date Start date
Unless I missed something, the point of this amp is to overdrive the power amp. In which case an FX loop is largely pointless since even if it comes after any preamp distortion, your effects will get distorted by the power amp anyway.

The amp sounds great. Is this an actual recorded speaker tone or is he using the OX box to feed an IR response?

Amp sounds cool. I just with he would showcase it WITHOUT the additional attenuator $1000 units. I want to hear the sole product and how it performs on it's own.

EDIT: Leon's video sound isn't that great and makes it sound average. Looks like he isn't using any extra attenuators?

Sweetwaters video is just "okay" sounding as well.

Big Hairy's video sounds good. I dont know if he is using any attenuation. I do hear effects going though.

I will never click on a Thorn video so LOL.
I agree.....using the OX box is kind of cheating but it people like to hear things with delay, echo and reverb. I tend to want to hear the amp dry first then with effects, so YMMV.

Amp sounds cool. I just with he would showcase it WITHOUT the additional attenuator $1000 units. I want to hear the sole product and how it performs on it's own.

EDIT: Leon's video sound isn't that great and makes it sound average. Looks like he isn't using any extra attenuators?

Sweetwaters video is just "okay" sounding as well.

Big Hairy's video sounds good. I dont know if he is using any attenuation. I do hear effects going though.

I will never click on a Thorn video so LOL.
Let me know if you have a request. I’m not really set up for microphones, but I can slap a mic in front of it. I could also run it into the ox without effects.

Very easy to put an iPad in the room and Record as well

Is that a mic'd speaker or IR?

Hey Corey can you take a peek and see what brand 12ax7 preamp tube Dave is using in V1?
Hey brother, I will look soon. My short little noodling video was through the OX. I recorded dry and added the lay on my fractal going into studio one

Hey brother, I will look soon. My short little noodling video was through the OX. I recorded dry and added the lay on my fractal going into studio one

+1 on wanting to hear it with a real speaker instead of attenuator/IR setups

It doesn't need to be quadruple miced with a neumann u87 and unicorn jizz or anything, just a "normally" placed 57 should be kosher

I like the Nielson demo, not going to watch the pete thorn demo lol

I'm reserving judgment because whenever there is a mountain of videos like this its difficult to get a feel for what it actually sounds like - good business idea though, this is the amp marshall should have made a long, long time ago

amp just sounds pretty average to me :dunno: certainly not tripping over myself running to get my debit card

michael nielson gives me douche chills like few people ever have, i gotta stop clicking on his vids :LOL:
amp just sounds pretty average to me :dunno: certainly not tripping over myself running to get my debit card

The rhythm sounds in nielson's video sound pretty crisp. The lead tones aren't awesome.

Basically the usual suspects of youtube shilling have their own production methods down so well, that I have NO idea what the amp actually sounds like.

I have a 1987x and Friedman SB. I need to see a shootout with the Plex and these two in order to make me pull the trigger.

+1 on wanting to hear it with a real speaker instead of attenuator/IR setups

It doesn't need to be quadruple miced with a neumann u87 and unicorn jizz or anything, just a "normally" placed 57 should be kosher

I like the Nielson demo, not going to watch the pete thorn demo lol

I'm reserving judgment because whenever there is a mountain of videos like this its difficult to get a feel for what it actually sounds like - good business idea though, this is the amp marshall should have made a long, long time ago
I'll see if I can find a 57. I have one somewhere. I also have a Rode NT2 that's from the late 90's (at least I know where that is!) Greenbacks / V30 / Lynchbak / Creamback / Redback on hand. I shouldn't overpromise though, AND it may take me a while to try it. I'll see what I come up with this weekend. I could run a couple cabs and just set the Rode up as a room mic at minimum with a little time moving cabling in here.

Regarding DeMartini vs old Aerosmith, it does both, just depends on how you attack the string in my opinion. This is from last night and I'm not trying to do anything, just literally the first couple minutes of plugging it in, but I think you could emulate the VH or DeMartini vibes. These amps are cool in that it gives you what you put into it... I hit the strings harder at some point and it reacts.

No pedals here, just a small amount (15%) delay mix post OX Greenback (no settings on OX other than a dry with eq cut above 10K).

I get what RaceU4her is saying too... that's partially why amps evolved since 68 right? For me, this is single note arpeggiated chord curiosity and I'm going to enjoy having it as an option :)

I'll see if I can find a 57. I have one somewhere. I also have a Rode NT2 that's from the late 90's (at least I know where that is!) Greenbacks / V30 / Lynchbak / Creamback / Redback on hand. I shouldn't overpromise though, AND it may take me a while to try it. I'll see what I come up with this weekend. I could run a couple cabs and just set the Rode up as a room mic at minimum with a little time moving cabling in here.

Regarding DeMartini vs old Aerosmith, it does both, just depends on how you attack the string in my opinion. This is from last night and I'm not trying to do anything, just literally the first couple minutes of plugging it in, but I think you could emulate the VH or DeMartini vibes. These amps are cool in that it gives you what you put into it... I hit the strings harder at some point and it reacts.

No pedals here, just a small amount (15%) delay mix post OX Greenback (no settings on OX other than a dry with eq cut above 10K).

I get what RaceU4her is saying too... that's partially why amps evolved since 68 right? For me, this is single note arpeggiated chord curiosity and I'm going to enjoy having it as an option :)

Nice, lead tones in your vid honestly sound better than nielsons

From what I can tell it sounds quite good, much more like a vintage marshall than a BE/etc

It's weird how you can tell much more from a quick miced clip than a big timer youtube video meant to showcase how it sounds :ROFLMAO:

that sounds real good. what is that tele though?? that thing is sexy as hell

I'm more getting a very early to mid 70's rock guitar Ace Frehley, Aerosmith etc etc etc type vibe from it.
ace frehley? is that a good thing!?

“i’m picking up some Tiny Tim/Mommas and Papas grind..”
🤣🤣🤙🏽

at least throw in a randy bachman bone..

to me Rabea the afro cat sounded best with the real miced cab. why tout the authentic plexi/no loop pure vintage point and then choke it with IRs in the coming out party?

that sounds real good. what is that tele though?? that thing is sexy as hell

That's an Andy Wood signature Suhr. It's effectively a 24-fret HH guitar with trem that just so happens to be cut into the shape of a telecaster. They're pretty killer guitars.

Suhr has a configurator that will let you start with a 24-fret T-style frame, and you can do pretty much whatever you want from there. It's pretty cool honestly. I've been thinking about building something lately.

FHJ8ZTN.png

OyOeeya.png

owbTRTH.png

It's easy to spend way too much time in there.

Back