Delay ideas

• Thread starter Thread starter John4021
  • Start date Start date
John4021
John4021
So, I have the Strymons
Source Audio Nemesis

Want something that doesnt cost over 2 or 3 hunderd.

Boss space delay?

I currently have 7 delays. Just recently sold a Strymon DIG.

My favorite at the moment is the EHX Canyon Pico……never used the full size Canyon. But the Pico is cheap, small, and sounds great. The least dry signal coloration of any delay I’ve tried. Biggest feature for me is the HP and LP filter that can take it from analog to tape sounding. Also has tap and divisions. Sounds best to me used in true bypass mode (even when engaged).

Other favorites are EHX Memory Man Nano and EQD Dispatch Master. Though the EQD tends to make dry signal bass heavy.

BTW, I had the compact RE-2 Space Echo and didn’t like it at all. It was really shrill sounding and the digital sheen was prominent. But maybe the big one is different.

I really love the dispatch master. I don't use it except for leads and dispatch master turned on was my entire lead tone.

Last edited:
I would grab a BBD Driven Analog Delay that is digitally controlled plus tap tempo ..... my two current favorites are the JHS Panther and the Seymour Duncan Vapor Trail Deluxe ..... The Vapor Trail is probably the most versatile .... being able to store some presets and some other cool features ... but the signal chain is pure analog BBD warmth and tone ..

Once upon a time, I was looking for a cheap delay pedal for my kazoo rig, which is an absolute necessity. Never play kazoo without delay and reverb.

Anyway, I came across the Delay-Reverb by Zcat Pedals in Latvia. I love that pedal on everything. It's a simple digital delay and reverb that creates the perfect ambiance. It wasn't expensive, but I'll never sell it.

$35...so fun
73714980152__E2AF600E-60D3-4874-9A36-B7B0B3E68A73.jpeg

I tend to like expensive delays for whatever reason

The Boss space echo sure looks interesting, and you can't go wrong with a DD3

I tend to like expensive delays for whatever reason

The Boss space echo sure looks interesting, and you can't go wrong with a DD3
Me too but decided to try something non coloring for under 3 hundred. I had the EVH $600 delay which was a GREAT sounding pedal but found myself fucking around with it more that the Strymon Timeline.
I HATE delay/echo's that color the tone overly dark. I want the amp to shine. Not playing with some tape dark echo.

Grrrrrrr...loosing my mind here..

Me too but decided to try something non coloring for under 3 hundred. I had the EVH $600 delay which was a GREAT sounding pedal but found myself fucking around with it more that the Strymon Timeline.
I HATE delay/echo's that color the tone overly dark. I want the amp to shine. Not playing with some tape dark echo.

Grrrrrrr...loosing my mind here..

So get a DD3 or strymon dig then?

If non dark and coloring is what you want

You DO NOT want a bucket brigade or tape drum type

Who has those for sale..thinking they are priced as used?
I had purchased a used one for about $250 in 2022.

A few things to note:

1) There are two firmware versions (the newer one fixes some issues and adds a few features).
2) Most units out there are the older firmware version
3) They are a little challenging to set up and dial in user presets
4) I had sold mine since the Ground Control Pro was not able to control the user presets (the GCP stops midi commands at 128)
5) The pushbuttons might not be working very well anymore on a lot of the older units

I had purchased a used one for about $250 in 2022.

A few things to note:

1) There are two firmware versions (the newer one fixes some issues and adds a few features).
2) Most units out there are the older firmware version
3) They are a little challenging to set up and dial in user presets
4) I had sold mine since the Ground Control Pro was not able to control the user presets (the GCP stops midi commands at 128)
5) The pushbuttons might not be working very well anymore on a lot of the older units
Thanks for the heads up

Second Vote for the Dispatch Master. By far, the cleanest, clearest, zero signal-suck time based effect I have ever used. I have bought and sold significantly pricier ‘boutique’ time effects that just didn’t sound as good: either had weird / harsh artifacts or sounded like a heavy wet blanket over the tone. My ONLY beef with the Dispatch Master is that there is not an independent level control for the Verb and Delay effects. Also, no switch to engage the verb and delay independently. But for a ‘set it and forget it’ time based pedal that is either ‘always on’ or punched in for leads as some have suggested, this is the pedal. Small footprint, incredibly clean - near studio quality - time effects. I set mine for a lush slow decay Hall type verb and a single, quiet slap a-la ‘Ain’t Talking Bout Love.’ I called it ‘Ted Templeman’ in a box.

Thanks for the heads up
If you are thinking about a single space effects unit for a good price then I was thinking that I should mention the Rocktron Xpression.

A friend of mine had given me his Rocktron Xpression as a way of saying thanks since I was able to purchase an FM9 for him using my place in line when there was a waitlist.

It's a pretty good unit that can be had at a low price.

I didn't remember there being any tone suck and I liked that it had the dual Input/Output level controls (they have helped me tame the volume on loud amps when I am not using my PS-100).

Here is a link to some on Reverb:

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=Rocktron Xpression

The one for $155 has a Make an Offer with Free Shipping.

However, Guitar Center has one on sale for $99 so an even better deal if the shipping is not too much plus you can always return it to the Guitar Center if you don't like the unit :)

https://www.guitarcenter.com/product-detail-page?productId=site5119652837

Make sure they have the power adapter with the device.

Back