Deraps playing the Marshall 20 watters

• Thread starter Thread starter Kapo_Polenton
  • Start date Start date
I just posted the same demo lol. I asked them to delete it.

I just posted the same demo lol. I asked them to delete it.

Was I first? Great minds think alike. I do think however that Deraps likes to run his amps too loose for my liking. Lots of squish but the rythm suffers at times. Loses tightness. For that reason I thought he sounded better through the 800

He’s a great player and I think those amps are cool but he lost me in the beginning when he said, they not only sound just like the big ones but also at 20 watts, are as loud. They’re cool amps but then there’s reality.

Was I first? Great minds think alike. I do think however that Deraps likes to run his amps too loose for my liking. Lots of squish but the rythm suffers at times. Loses tightness. For that reason I thought he sounded better through the 800
Lol yeah i posted mine 20 mins after you

A 20 watt Marshall? I wonder what kind of pride gear comes with the owners manual.....
They are crazy loud. I have to use an attenuator on my sv20h. Even on 5 watts too loud. There is not much volume difference between it and the 1987x i had.
It has 2 x EL34's and 3 x 12ax7's.

They are crazy loud. I have to use an attenuator on my sv20h. Even on 5 watts too loud. There is not much volume difference between it and the 1987x i had.
That sounds good but everyone says that about their 20 watt amp and it never holds true IME.

It has 2 x EL34's and 3 x 12ax7's.
It is. Crazy loud. Sure, the headroom isn't anything to write home about, but low volume is not in the cards with that amp.

That sounds good but everyone says that about their 20 watt amp and it never holds true IME.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
They may be loud but they will not have the punch in the chest of a 50 watt oor 100 watt amp, they just don't. I think the Marshall 20 watters sound great and have 'THAT' tone plus having big bottle power tube is a plus compared to EL84's but they just won't punch as hard in my experience, I feel this is mostly due to the Output transformer size differences equating to speaker excursion. I'm also not saying they will have no punch, they will to a point until they hit that proverbial wall.

My 5 watt single ended Jose 2203 amp with a single EL34 power tube sounds great for low to medium volume jamming but once it get's turned up it runs out of gas real quick on the punch factor when side by side with a true 50 or 100 watter. Even if I slave it, it doesn't punch the same using either a 50 or 100 watt tube power amp to reamp, the punch does improve using a big power amp, it's just different. It's just physics... you can't really get away from it.

These might be a good platform for slaving into a reactive load and then reamping with a big power amp.:2thumbsup:

I have owned lots of 100 watters and 50 watters........ this thing is pretty close to as loud as the 1987x. I forget how many db difference there is but I think it was 4db.
1726615466056.png

7dB, per my math.

Neat video demonstrating differences in decibel. Unfortunately no 7dB comparison.

Jacob would sound great through a toaster. Saw him live a few years back and he's a monster player.

Cool video. Thanks for sharing

@7704A thanks for the good laugh. I would see it in my kitchen with a Marshall fridge and a their stupid small Bluetooth speaker!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
They may be loud but they will not have the punch in the chest of a 50 watt oor 100 watt amp, they just don't. I think the Marshall 20 watters sound great and have 'THAT' tone plus having big bottle power tube is a plus compared to EL84's but they just won't punch as hard in my experience, I feel this is mostly due to the Output transformer size differences equating to speaker excursion. I'm also not saying they will have no punch, they will to a point until they hit that proverbial wall.

My 5 watt single ended Jose 2203 amp with a single EL34 power tube sounds great for low to medium volume jamming but once it get's turned up it runs out of gas real quick on the punch factor when side by side with a true 50 or 100 watter. Even if I slave it, it doesn't punch the same using either a 50 or 100 watt tube power amp to reamp, the punch does improve using a big power amp, it's just different. It's just physics... you can't really get away from it.

These might be a good platform for slaving into a reactive load and then reamping with a big power amp.:2thumbsup:
Yeah, when I had the SV20H, I tried a PS-2 with it, but they didn't really get along for some reason.

Back