Deraps playing the Marshall 20 watters

• Thread starter Thread starter Kapo_Polenton
  • Start date Start date
A Twin outdoor is an entirely different thing than nearly any club or room that gets regularly played in. So far you're the only person whos responded.....I've been on a 12+ gigs per month run since last May with my Wizard MC25 and not once, including outdoors at Ft Stevens have I gotten close to opening that thing wide open, and its freaking loud and owns its sonic slice at the regular volume I play. At the point that its chest thumping everyone is telling me (or anybody else) to turn the fuck down hahaha
12+ gigs a month is killer man, that's awesome. After ditching some of the crap gigs I think my busiest month this year had about 12 shows. Wish I could've done that every month, it was mostly 10 or less per month. Most of my shows are outdoors. I've played two indoor shows in the last 6 months. Even in winter unless it's below 45 degrees or raining I usually am stuck outdoors. I think I have a rep for being loud or something.

I downsized about ten years ago from a 100 watt plexi and 4x12 to a Twin so it seems pretty tame to me. Like a toy. Loaded with JBL's my kid used his I phone at the grill cloth and measured up to 129dB on the transient spikes. Not sure how you can't crank a 25 watt amp outdoors. You must get good sound reinforcement at your shows. I am lucky if I get enough monitor to get over the top of my guitar amp, LOL!!!

I had the SV20 and SC20. I will never buy another 20 watt amp. I got the JEL20, and it's good for what it is, but no more mini-amps.
Look at the Transformers in those Marshalls. It's similar to the battery in a Hot Wheels car. Little tiny toy tranny.
They may be loud, but that's it. No 100 watt or even 50 watt FOOTPRINT. No authority or bottom, or punch. It's the Fidget of amplifiers.

Considering they're made with essentially the same parts and components as the Origin amps, I don't think the process is justified at all.

I had the SV20 and SC20. I will never buy another 20 watt amp. I got the JEL20, and it's good for what it is, but no more mini-amps.
Look at the Transformers in those Marshalls. It's similar to the battery in a Hot Wheels car. Little tiny toy tranny.
They may be loud, but that's it. No 100 watt or even 50 watt FOOTPRINT. No authority or bottom, or punch. It's the Fidget of amplifiers.
I have a Brent Hinds terror and a modded, Origin 20 head and like them a lot but I wouldn’t want to use them at a band practice. Maybe a show, maybe…depending on the stage and band set up. But since I haven't played a show since 2006, I think I’m in the clear..😂

I have a Brent Hinds terror and a modded, Origin 20 head and like them a lot but I wouldn’t want to use them at a band practice. Maybe a show, maybe…depending on the stage and band set up. But since I haven't played a show since 2006, I think I’m in the clear..😂
I have a modded Origin 20 that I use at band rehearsal and gigs all the time.

SV20H vs 1987x

Check the comments on youtube for this video for feedback from owners.

In the few times I got to demo a SV20 they were always not tight enough in the low end for riffs etc with a Gibson. You couldn’t do any decent rock/punk rock style palm mutes which IMO I can do all day long on a 50 or 100 watt NMV Marshall.

In the few times I got to demo a SV20 they were always not tight enough in the low end for riffs etc with a Gibson. You couldn’t do any decent rock/punk rock style palm mutes which IMO I can do all day long on a 50 or 100 watt NMV Marshall.

Were these all attenuated? Also low end riffs of drop tuned stuff or metal? IMO plexi's do rock really well but not so sure about metal. You're better off with the sc20 if your looking for metal tight low end with a 20 watter.

Were these all attenuated? Also low end riffs of drop tuned stuff or metal? IMO plexi's do rock really well but not so sure about metal. You're better off with the sc20 if your looking for metal tight low end with a 20 watter.
I said rock/punk rock palm mutes which would infer standard tuning. But I’ve had early metal panels and a ‘69 kit I built from metro amp that could do metal easily with no pedal. The SV20’s I tried were in stores so no attenuation was used.

It is crazy that someone born in the 70s and an 80s rocker, I never used a boost when I owned Marshalls. This is my first time doing it. I think they are made for boosts. On the other end of the spectrum, my 5150-III is palm mutes at o'clock, lol.

Back