Dio: Last in Line - 1984

• Thread starter Thread starter Janky
  • Start date Start date
40 years...damn. I've got such great memories listening to that album as a kid. Really wish I had caught that tour, it wasn't until the Dream Evil tour I saw them live.

Great set from the Last In Line tour here:

40 years ago...loved this album.

Still dig it.

Viv used his old Black Les Paul, Marshall 800 and pedals. Even at that time there were alot of better guitarists out there but Viv was like Gary Moore, he put everything into his playing, he was fresh and he fit perfectly with what Dio was doing. Says alot that Dio never recaptured those first three albums even with guys that were technically better players.

Love dio. Older brother got me into his solo stuff when it first came out. He was a hard core dio fan. He actually signed his middle name as dio all through high school…tests, homework…etc…

Still dig it.

Viv used his old Black Les Paul, Marshall 800 and pedals. Even at that time there were alot of better guitarists out there but Viv was like Gary Moore, he put everything into his playing, he was fresh and he fit perfectly with what Dio was doing. Says alot that Dio never recaptured those first three albums even with guys that were technically better players.
Well said, Viv's fire and intensity was off the charts........

Well said, Viv's fire and intensity was off the charts........
I felt bad about how RJD treated him. RJD, Ozzy, Blackmore, Bon Jovi, Gene Simmons, all douche bags.

Almost forgot David Bowie, makes millions for a concert and pays SRV $500.

I felt bad about how RJD treated him. RJD, Ozzy, Blackmore, Bon Jovi, Gene Simmons, all douche bags.

Almost forgot David Bowie, makes millions for a concert and pays SRV $500.
Ronnie's mistake was ever promising the rest of the band full member pay after the first few albums. I get where he was coming from as alot of people don't understand how much money it takes to run things, and alot of money was coming out of his pocket unlike say Ozzy who's father in law / label was footing most of his bills. And most of these sidemen weren't getting alot of pay back in the day, certainly not what we all thought they were getting.

Problem was he gave his word then reneged. Viv called him on it, the other guys didn't rock the boat because a little was better than nothing. Vinnie pretty much said as much recently. Even though by the third album the band was losing some steam, I saw that tour and it was still packed. I think had Viv stayed they could have gotten more years as a Gold Level selling act. All of Dio's follow up albums failed to go Gold after Sacred Heart. I don't think Dio was ever the cash cow Ozzy was but again, don't give your word you'll take care of people then don't.

Last edited:
I got to see him twice on the HD album, twice on LiL and once on SH, he was my favorite player through those years with stiff competition, but he left everything on the table every time I saw him. He was amazing, and those songs were all meant to floor you in a live setting. Dio, of course was at the height of his powers at that time, he was the baddest fucking mystical dwarf warlock frontman on the planet!
Saw Craig Goldie on the next tour and he was very good, but he was no Vivian..
Got backstage at that show too, that was some crazy shit!! Jimmy Bain was totally hammered and walked around with a cameraman asking all the hot chicks “who wants to go make a movie?”
They left with no less than a dozen super hot spandex and leather clad females. I can remember looking at Craig Goldie and saying “Dam! Jimmy is THAT shitfaced and he’s gonna go service a hot dozen?
Goldie said “Not by himself, he won’t” and he left behind them 😂
Ronnie never came backstage that night, I wanted to meet him but never did. We were only back there for 45 minutes and left.
Crazy times

Ronnie's mistake was ever promising the rest of the band full member pay after the first few albums. I get where he was coming from as alot of people don't understand how much money it takes to run things, and alot of money was coming out of his pocket unlike say Ozzy who's father in law / label was footing most of his bills. And most of these sidemen weren't getting alot of pay back in the day, certainly not what we all thought they were getting.

Problem was he gave his word then reneged. Viv called him on it, the other guys didn't rock the boat because a little was better than nothing. Vinnie pretty much said as much recently. Even though by the third album the band was losing some steam, I saw that tour and it was still packed. I think had Viv stayed they could have gotten more years as a Gold Level selling act. All of Dio's follow up albums failed to go Gold after Sacred Heart. I don't think Dio was ever the cash cow Ozzy was but again, don't give your word you'll take care of people then don't.
It's an ugly business for sure. I steered clear of it.

Problem was he gave his word then reneged. Viv called him on it, the other guys didn't rock the boat because a little was better than nothing. Vinnie pretty much said as much recently. Even though by the third album the band was losing some steam, I saw that tour and it was still packed. I think had Viv stayed they could have gotten more years as a Gold Level selling act. All of Dio's follow up albums failed to go Gold after Sacred Heart. I don't think Dio was ever the cash cow Ozzy was but again, don't give your word you'll take care of people then
Its odd Vivian was the only one who left, you'd think the rest of the band would have bailed. Hmm. Kid had a Ferrari and lived at home with Mom and Dad.

Its odd Vivian was the only one who left, you'd think the rest of the band would have bailed. Hmm. Kid had a Ferrari and lived at home with Mom and Dad.
Yeah and I thought he was a lil overated . Def Lep is a perfect gig for him

Back