Disappointed with Randall 667

• Thread starter Thread starter lewy271
  • Start date Start date
L
lewy271
Ugh...I bought this amp site unseen, but have the ability to return it for another amp. I was very excited about it based on the tones I heard from Ola on Youtube, turns out all those tones he does song very similar. Long story short, I'm not so excited about the 667 now. It doesn't have enough saturation. I love my peavey JSX in comparison. I've only had it for a day, but just cannot get close to where I want to be. Do I continue to screw with it or cutbait and exchange it for a powerball?

If anyone has any settings for this I would appreciate it, BTW, I actually despise channel 5 and 6, 3 and 4 aren't so bad.

wow. didn't someone on here get one and like it? maybe it was rezamatrix, it is something very similar to that if that is not his name. he did a demo. ask him for settings.

I'm surprised by this feedback. While I can hear that Fortin throaty growl in the clips I have heard of the 667, it does not sound to be overly "dry" to my ears. Sounded plenty saturated to me. Interesting.

If your not diggin it then your not diggin it. No problem there. If you think(or know) you'd like the Powerball more you should get that instead. I personally know within a couple of minutes if I like an amp or not. That being said, I would love to try a 667 in person.

Trade off the China made pile for the Powerball. It's German made and has tons of saturation.

German over Chinese any day, all day.

I didn't love the thrasher. I had high hopes for it, and still do for the 667. Rezas clips were great, tho.

Everyone has that "something" that are looking for in an amp. And as bubbastain said you can know it within minutes of plugging in. Some amps need some tweaking to find that sweet spot, but in general you should be close within a minute if you know how to twist a knob...lol

I can usually dial in an amp in 60 seconds, but my Fortin modded VM took me months. Not just the dials, but the whole chain (same with Fortin rd50 awhile back). The Fortin sound is super fast on the attack with a Tuco quality (tight tight tight)
The big breakthrough for me was buying a Maxon TOD9 and using that as a clean boost. Much better with Fortin as compared to either channel on my BB+, MXR, or digitech boosts. I love those other pedals, but not so much with the Fortin. I'm thinking any Maxon type OD may help, it softens the attack just enough to create an awesome vibe. Fortin clarity is unreal, so the payoff in trying different boosts/pickups/speakers is worth it. Peavey is the opposite, lots of saturation & cool in its own way.
Good luck on your tone quest

Sounds killer to me.

To be fair - we need an unprocessed/untreated clip no?

The glass Randall chose to ship in the amp is terrible in order to keep the amp at a decent price point. Thinnest Ruby glass I have ever seen. Tung Sol's across the front end and a mix of SED 34/6L6 for power is where the amp comes alive. With the 6 channels, the LMH and Boost settings, the amp rips on channels 4/5/6 and the amp as a whole can cover a lot of ground.

Problem with all these amps is Simple...Fortin Design but with Randall Execution.

It's fortin's take on the old ELAN metalhead preamps circuit. It may not be for anybody...Randall execution may not be the problem. It's a great circuit but the end result is always, hands, gear (speakers, cabs, pickups everything)...Thing is do you have the time to work with it or return it if it doesn't deliver or does it have to be "in a few days"?

I spent an hour and a half with one. I thought that it was great, lacked a bit of low end though. It sounded very similar to my Pittbull. Ironically(German vs Chinese), there was a Diezel Hagen on top of it, which sounded like total shit :lol: :LOL: Not sure if something was wrong with it

tech21man":2tcdb1uq said:
It's fortin's take on the old ELAN metalhead preamps circuit. It may not be for anybody...Randall execution may not be the problem. It's a great circuit but the end result is always, hands, gear (speakers, cabs, pickups everything)...Thing is do you have the time to work with it or return it if it doesn't deliver or does it have to be "in a few days"?
Elan is trying to raise 100K and make a comeback but I don't think it's going so well.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/58 ... guitar-amp

benduncan":2dcpxhy4 said:
I spent an hour and a half with one. I thought that it was great, lacked a bit of low end though. It sounded very similar to my Pittbull. Ironically(German vs Chinese), there was a Diezel Hagen on top of it, which sounded like total shit :lol: :LOL: Not sure if something was wrong with it

I haven't read good things about the Hagen, even from Diezel fans
I guess every company can put out a "dud" model sometimes?

The last couple of weeks on RigTalk has lots of great things posted on Hagen. I'm guessing tubes/speaker choice may be at play here
The good news is my 667 GAS has cooled off on this thread, lol

crankyrayhanky":3drzt6l5 said:
The last couple of weeks on RigTalk has lots of great things posted on Hagen. I'm guessing tubes/speaker choice may be at play here
The good news is my 667 GAS has cooled off on this thread, lol

I'm still really looking forward to trying the 667 out for myself. BTW: I own Diezels, and while the Hagen is not my favorite model....I thought it sounded better that 80% of the high-gainers out there when I gave it a run.

Thanks guys I've made my decision. I'm brining it back, going to exchange it for a powerball. I ran the 667 through my mesa dual rect 2x12 and I ran it through Orange PPC 4x12, blah. I think they are pretty good cabs. Maybe it is the tubes but I'm not swapping out the tubes on the amp. BTW. I did get closer to the sound I was looking for with the OD in front of it, but my hopes are not to have to run pedal on amps, I'm definitely not interested in putting a distortion pedal in front of it...

I want thank you for the valuable feedback. Most forums are full of a bunch of noise, I didn't get any of that here. Thanks again.

Hey, chime back with a Powerball thread, I always wanted to try one of those :rock:

I personally could not stand the Powerball VI that I owned. Speaking of sending amps back: I could not get rid of that amp fast enough. Really sterile / processed sounding tone and lacked the punch that I was accustomed to with the mesa marks and 5150s. Also, it got absolutely buried in the context of a band. All that being said....I know lots of people dig them.

Back