Disappointed with Randall 667

• Thread starter Thread starter lewy271
  • Start date Start date
angelspade":sxin7c2v said:
I personally could not stand the Powerball VI that I owned. Speaking of sending amps back: I could not get rid of that amp fast enough. Really sterile / processed sounding tone and lacked the punch that I was accustomed to with the mesa marks and 5150s. Also, it got absolutely buried in the context of a band. All that being said....I know lots of people dig them.

What do you think about the 5150III?

ActiveCape":137q4bgi said:
benduncan":137q4bgi said:
I spent an hour and a half with one. I thought that it was great, lacked a bit of low end though. It sounded very similar to my Pittbull. Ironically(German vs Chinese), there was a Diezel Hagen on top of it, which sounded like total shit :lol: :LOL: Not sure if something was wrong with it

I haven't read good things about the Hagen, even from Diezel fans
I guess every company can put out a "dud" model sometimes?

So hiding behind the user name and just say "it sounds like shit" don´t
helps me to increase the quality of the Hagen.

I would appreciate an accurate description to let me know about the issues.
Then I can work on it with the assistance of you customers.

Dear benduncan, please send an email to peterdiezel (at) diezelamplification (dot ) com
and tell me what you are expect from a Diezel product. I would follow your
suggestions and try to do it better. If you want a phone call, my number is
+49 9288 957664.

I would be happy to get in contact with you.

Cheers,
Peter

Yikes...

This wasn't a Deizel thread, nor were you posting in here before. I didn't feel there was a need for me to give a full explanation or assist you. I just didn't like it, it was too fizzy, loose and I really didn't like how the mids sounded. I was able to get something that sounded ok to me with some heavy EQing in the loop, but that was it. Again, I'm not sure if something was wrong with it. I don't think you need to get so worked up, tone is a subjective thing. Plus, I'm not the only person who buys amplifiers nor can I even afford a Hagen at the moment. You don't have much incentive to please me :lol: :LOL: For what it's worth, I love the VH4

PS, that's my real name, not a username

Thank you, Ben !
Is this your real haircut on the avatar? :lol: :LOL:
Sorry, I´m no more in the condition to get it :lol: :LOL:

Haha, that's not me. That's a douchey British celebrity that I happen to share a name with. I put his photo as a joke but people outside of the UK rarely get it :lol: :LOL:

I've never played the Hagen, but I can say the 3 models I've owned excel at what they do, Sir

Rezamatix":1u5cywyk said:
Hah, I have a Hagen too and it SMOKES the power ball . but hey. Maybe its because I put the right tubes in it and made sure to dial it in.

this is what THAT sounds like :

Idk what to think of this clip. I am using shitty headphones and I do keep that in mind. But I use these headphones alot.

To me it sounded really really good with open chords but anything that was palm muted sounded like a wet dog fart.

I feel the bass tone is to blame. I don't expect you to do it but I would be curious to hear the same clip with a different bass tone.

Not bashing on it or anything but that's what I hear. Great open chording and wet dog fart palm muting.

lewy271":1oxaiyp9 said:
angelspade":1oxaiyp9 said:
I personally could not stand the Powerball VI that I owned. Speaking of sending amps back: I could not get rid of that amp fast enough. Really sterile / processed sounding tone and lacked the punch that I was accustomed to with the mesa marks and 5150s. Also, it got absolutely buried in the context of a band. All that being said....I know lots of people dig them.

What do you think about the 5150III?

I think it's a great amp. I miss the "grind" of the original Peavey series 5150s...but you gain a lot in terms of versatility and refinement with the 5150 III. Great amp all around.

Rezamatix":23rdji0o said:
maddnotez":23rdji0o said:
Rezamatix":23rdji0o said:
Hah, I have a Hagen too and it SMOKES the power ball . but hey. Maybe its because I put the right tubes in it and made sure to dial it in.

Idk what to think of this clip. I am using shitty headphones and I do keep that in mind. But I use these headphones alot.

To me it sounded really really good with open chords but anything that was palm muted sounded like a wet dog fart.

I feel the bass tone is to blame. I don't expect you to do it but I would be curious to hear the same clip with a different bass tone.

Not bashing on it or anything but that's what I hear. Great open chording and wet dog fart palm muting.

Sounds KILLER.

Here is some Hagen without bass.

Rezamatix":4wiiuhac said:

At almost twice the price I would hope that it smoked the powerball.

lewy271":15soehf8 said:
Rezamatix":15soehf8 said:

By that logic: You can pick up a 5150 at 1/2 the price of the Powerball.....and the 5150 smokes the Powerball.

angelspade":1syqpkhu said:
....the 5150 smokes the Powerball.

I would agree. Depends on the tone, but I used to have an Engl Invader and a 5150. The 5150 had a lot more balls, even with old tubes

The Hagen is an ass kicker. It did seem to cool off in popularity for a while, but has regained a footing recently, just go visit the Diezel forum, it's the most talked about amp at the moment.

Ben,
You are right, tone is subjective. Some of your clips have been good, some not so good for me. Not a fan of the heavy EQing with that furman stuff or whatever it is. But, not everyone does everything the same and is a great thing. ;)

Something MUST have been wrong when you played a Hagen, since you say you like the VH4. Speaker cable plugged into wrong ohm load, something. Diezels are so easy to EQ, set everything at noon and slightly adjust from there. It's hard to get them to sound bad.

angelspade":hk3gncw4 said:
lewy271":hk3gncw4 said:
Rezamatix":hk3gncw4 said:

By that logic: You can pick up a 5150 at 1/2 the price of the Powerball.....and the 5150 smokes the Powerball.

Touche. I'm assuming you are talking about the 50w head. That really is the nice thing about the 5150III. There is that 50watter, this amp will never see anything other than my studio maybe a 50watt head is also worth looking at. Cool, I have my marching orders.

And guys in all honesty I'm getting some cool sounds out of the 667, not my sound. I'm sure that there are people that love the amp and it is all about what works for you. There is only other thing, I've just considered. Maybe there is something wrong with the amp. Channel 3+4 have more gain and saturation than channel 5+6. :confused:

Rezamatix":2ke6cc2r said:
maddnotez":2ke6cc2r said:
Rezamatix":2ke6cc2r said:

Here is some Hagen without bass.

:rock:

I did also listen back to the other on a better setup and what I was hearing was definitely the bass output.

Interesting amp for sure from what I can hear and sounds thick. I'm a hard metal guy, idk how it would do there but sounds perfect for alt rock.

Also wanted to say that song in the 2ns clip with just guitars was really cool. The change towards the end was really awesome and whatever effect was on the lead I liked.

Rezamatix":2y5hm21s said:

After your thread about King 810 I'd expect Deizel to pay you to NOT endorse them! :lol: :LOL:

Just got my VH4 back from a friend this morning
If anybody's interested ;)

Back