DLR band live in the studio 'Panama' + 'Ain't Talkin'

• Thread starter Thread starter Stradazone
  • Start date Start date
Why is the bass player playing the wrong bassline for ATBL????

Something seems off in that tune but assuming they were just laying down the tune and didn't expect it to be recorded, that might explain it.

left nuts gleefully given for Al's tone....
no one plays the kit like AVH...no one! lol

Sounds like I knew it would sound really good. If there is a Van Halen tribute with the original members (Mike-Dave-Al) why in the world would they not pick you to play in it? I'm hearing they talked to Joe Satch but I just cannot see him playing Edward's parts. You are the guy for that gig.

Wolfgang should be on guitar if they do this IMO

Wolfgang should be on guitar if they do this IMO

I don't think he is interested in doing this. Maybe once the well runs dry on his own career and collaborations he might agree to do it but don't expect it anytime soon.

Recorded this a few months ago, had no idea it was going to be released until a couple of hours ago haha, all 1 take, solo and all on the same track

first of all...congrats...you guys are fn good!

guitar is flawless...cant think of anything even if i tried to pick on you...there's nothing to pick on!

what im about to 'propose' is more a test of my ears (earphones?)...and i need confirmation of you Strada(you were the only one that was actualy there) ... and the rest of the owners of ears in this thread.

doesn't the recording sound a bit bass guitar heavy ? i mean, i love it... but it seems to diminish fatness of your sound AND drums (more importantly)...

are you guys all bass guitarist's bitches and nobody can tell him to turn down a bit or...am i halucinating ?:giggle:

Why is the bass player playing the wrong bassline for ATBL????
It's the bass line that David wanted
first of all...congrats...you guys are fn good!

guitar is flawless...cant think of anything even if i tried to pick on you...there's nothing to pick on!

what im about to 'propose' is more a test of my ears (earphones?)...and i need confirmation of you Strada(you were the only one that was actualy there) ... and the rest of the owners of ears in this thread.

doesn't the recording sound a bit bass guitar heavy ? i mean, i love it... but it seems to diminish fatness of your sound AND drums (more importantly)...

are you guys all bass guitarist's bitches and nobody can tell him to turn down a bit or...am i halucinating ?:giggle:
Unfortunately I'm not involved in any of the mixing process, nor the rest of the band, David seemed happy with it otherwise he wouldn't of released any of it..

Unfortunately I'm not involved in any of the mixing process, nor the rest of the band, David seemed happy with it otherwise he wouldn't of released any of it..
tnx for a reply...im sorry i put you in a compromising position professionally....i literally suspected that im using bass enhancing earphones...and i still might find out that i do (as soon as i find the box)

not thinking that what we babble on about can come accross as trash talk of your employer....again...sorry and smoking performance anyway...!!!

Hey Al, a while back you were slaving your plexi style amps ( was it a suhr) through a load and then an SS power amp so you could crank it at various volumes. Any changes there as to your preferences in gear or are you still doing that live?

Hey Al, a while back you were slaving your plexi style amps ( was it a suhr) through a load and then an SS power amp so you could crank it at various volumes. Any changes there as to your preferences in gear or are you still doing that live?
Ya, I’d love to know your signal chain too, Al. You did mention the Friedman modded ‘69 Superlead, variac’d, but what Cabs, Speakers, Pickups etc?👍
Your tone is fantastic!

Sounds like I knew it would sound really good. If there is a Van Halen tribute with the original members (Mike-Dave-Al) why in the world would they not pick you to play in it? I'm hearing they talked to Joe Satch but I just cannot see him playing Edward's parts. You are the guy for that gig.
Nah. This might sound crazy, but the best dude for the gig is John Mayer. Dude plays Van Halen in concert, even breaks out a Frankenstein. He gets that powerful soulful look in his eyes when he does a bend. It’s just so cool. My heart starts quickly beating, uhhh, I mean I begin to feel very manly as he solos, yes. He really nails EVH’s facial expressions spot on and he is also very quick on his feet so he mimics EVHs stage moves spot on. His eyes……I mean, it’s like a really tough rock n roll look….. when his eyes meet mine in the crowd….I…..shiver…..with uh anticipation of the next VH song!! Uhhh, yeah John Mayer is clearly the guy for the gig. Satriani would be preposterous for that gig. If they hired Satriani l would become very offended and voice my opinion online in the strongest possible way!!

Same rig and chain as before, live, studio, Vegas and tour, Guitar - Pedalboard - Marshall or Suhr - Load - TC2290 splits stereo to Matrix 1000 watt power amp - 2 or 4 4x12 cabs loaded with Celestion greenbacks and vintage 30's, only the greenbacks are mic'd, the vintage 30's for a little low end punch onstage
Ya, I’d love to know your signal chain too, Al. You did mention the Friedman modded ‘69 Superlead, variac’d, but what Cabs, Speakers, Pickups etc?👍
Your tone is fantastic!
The Friedman modded amp was done fairly recently and DLR likes the sound of it! pickups are the Jalen Origin (SD '78 type)

Same rig and chain as before, live, studio, Vegas and tour, Guitar - Pedalboard - Marshall or Suhr - Load - TC2290 splits stereo to Matrix 1000 watt power amp - 2 or 4 4x12 cabs loaded with Celestion greenbacks and vintage 30's, only the greenbacks are mic'd, the vintage 30's for a little low end punch onstage

The Friedman modded amp was done fairly recently and DLR likes the sound of it! pickups are the Jalen Origin (SD '78 type)

So you'd agree that attenuators just sacrifice too much. Interesting. I need to try a Matrix out, maybe lower powered for my needs though. 1000 watts is a lot of muscle!

Just goes to show there is only one EVH, as evidenced in the swag or lack thereof.in this case.
Is it good, sure, but that's about it. Its stiff without any vibe at all.

The vocals are horrible but my brain cant get past what its heard for 38 years.
This would've sounded much better with a different singer.

I'm sorry

I'll just add, it may present dull to my ears due to the production. I'm sure in a live setting it sounds better.

Sounds fantastic.

I'm such a moron though. Before I clicked it, I thought it was just some internet guy in a VH cover band or something wanting to showcase the tone he got or something. Then I pressed play and thought "Damn this sounds great!" Then the vocals came in and I thought "oh wow he sounds just like David Lee R... HEY WAIT A MINUTE!"

Damn I'm not nearly awake enough today lol.

edit: Ok I just heard the solo. Shit dude you nailed it. The feel is right, all the trem bar dives are spot on, everything. That's seriously impressive.

Last edited:
So you'd agree that attenuators just sacrifice too much. Interesting. I need to try a Matrix out, maybe lower powered for my needs though. 1000 watts is a lot of muscle!
Attenuators are usually fine when bringing down volume a notch or two, a load box is much more transparent, in my case I'm not attenuating at all, actually trying to make a 100 watt Marshall head louder onstage, w/o the Matrix one Marshall isn't loud enough for DLR's needs :oops:

Back