Does anybody here thinks these tones sound good...Or Bad?

• Thread starter Thread starter angelspade
  • Start date Start date
angelspade
angelspade
I am not against modelers at all...But many times the higher gain tones seem to have this really strange upper mid / high end quality to them that's not particularly appealing in my estimation.. I have noticed this recently with Metallica's live sounds as well, and it is very apparent in the video below. I'm not much of a modeler guy (I own a POD/Helix Go). Do you guys notice this strange tonality in these frequencies as well? Maybe I'm just getting old and not keeping up with what sounds good these days. Not trying to start an argument here, just want to know if others are hearing what I'm hearing?

Last edited:
I think modelers can sound great, but I don’t love those tones.
I’m a big fan of that style of music, but as music gets tighter, heavier, faster and more complex, the tones are often less about being “good” and more about allowing you to play tight fast heavy and complex.

it dosent sound very exciting to me, but i would think to work live at the tunings they use some weird frequencies might be needed to work. i never really listened to these guys much, i gotta see whats up

That shitty harsh sounding high end is part and parcel of all digital equipment IME.
That's what I'm hearing as well. Like this demo of Fenders new digital rig. I actually like how aggressive and cutting the tone Loomis is getting here...But it has that same weird harshness thing happening,

That's what I'm hearing as well. Like this demo of Fenders new digital rig. I actually like how aggressive and cutting the tone Loomis is getting here...But it has that same weird harshness thing happening,

That's not really aggressive to me, but I'll give it cutting. Maybe aggressive in the kind of way that a little kid whining for something he wants is aggressive in sound

Not into it at all, but it’s not exactly the gear having some signature sound from the gear itself. Thats literally just periphery’s tone and how they dial their shit in. They sound the exact same no matter what these guys play through in my opinion.

Modeler or not, that is to me a terrible tone in the intro that almost makes the Uber Ultra not filtered sounding in comparison LOL. Maybe like a modeler version of that kind of sound
I thought that whole Fender demo was badly done. The only other option would be me being left to believe that unit sounds pretty awful overall. Sounded stiff and sterile. I have heard better Fractal stuff but truthfully I mostly hate everything digital for regular guitar use. I've yelled at so many clouds my voice is hoarse.

that fender modeler has not gotten good reviews from anyone, a bunch of the popular youtubers ripped that thing hard when it came out.

Digital can sound decent if you take serious care dialing it in. Most people don't, and it ends up sounding like both of these videos.

Both the queer emo music demo in the original and the Jeff Loomis demo sound awful but I don't think its BECAUSE its digital modeling, I think this is supposed to be "modern" metal tone.

I just assume its supposed to sound this shitty.

Digital can sound decent if you take serious care dialing it in. Most people don't, and it ends up sounding like both of these videos.

Both the queer emo music demo in the original and the Jeff Loomis demo sound awful but I don't think its BECAUSE its digital modeling, I think this is supposed to be "modern" metal tone.

You damn right about that, Dan !

:cool:

Digital can sound decent if you take serious care dialing it in.
Sounds like time poorly spent when I could just get a real amp. A treadmill can make you feel like you are going places but really you're standing in the same spot the whole time.

Yeah...I guess maybe we are saying the same thing in a way. Maybe tonal tastes have just moved past me and I'm stuck in the late 90's to 2010 era of modern metal flavors. I mean everyone seems to be using digital these days... so maybe it is me (or us)? But, I was just listening to Carcass Heartwork and MH Burn My Eyes this morning driving to the gym and those tones still sounds "modern" to my ears. They had similar amounts of gain to the examples I posted in this thread...But they also have some organic warmth in the mids, some thickness in the bottom-end and the top end is crisp without sounding like light bulbs being fed into a trash compactor. In many of the digital examples there is this "chirpy" upper mid thing happening and the top end is just...um, processed sounding. Am I making any sense, or am I just getting older?

I mean everyone seems to be using digital these days... so maybe it is me (or us)?
There are a lot of pride marches these days too but I haven't made a point of attending any.

I've seen two guys in 8 years using a modeler for live work. Of those players only one was professional level and he had a fractal and his tone was more processed than those armour vienna sausages.

scottosan posted a clip the other day using an axe and it sounding amazing. ves gets great tones with his axe.

scottosan posted a clip the other day using an axe and it sounding amazing. ves gets great tones with his axe.

Yeah, I have no problem getting awesome tones with a kemper or axe, it's just a lot of fiddling around.

It is weird that all these modern demos seem to dial in the sound to accent these weird frequencies that may or may not be the limitations of digital gear, but it's certainly a correlation if not causation

Back