Does anybody here thinks these tones sound good...Or Bad?

• Thread starter Thread starter angelspade
  • Start date Start date
Rhythm guitarist is using a 5153 head. Im running an Fm9 into a Powerstage.

I start the song at around the 6 min mark. Im happy with my tone.

It was a fan video.

Last edited:
Playing VH with that tone while sporting a T of my beloved Emperor.
I don’t even know which cloud to yell at anymore…

It really should be how it fits into the mix. When you hear his tones it is probably set that way for how his guitar has to sit with 2 other guitar players also using high gain. Not an easy feat to mix that and glue it together.

Saw periphery a while back and couldn't walk out on them fast enough, this tone was part of the reason. My biggest issue with modelers is it seems that everyone feels the need to run two amps at once along with 6 different boosts and 4 compressors with an assload off effects all because it simply has the dsp to handle it all which in turn is a great bragging point for the gear but it ultimately sounds like dog shit. If you can take the gear and use it like you would any real amp in a live setting and remember that what sounds good in your basement won't sound great or cut on a stage, they're pretty good and versatile.

The brittle part a couple guys posted about always got me too but there is YouTube reviews and demos that pointed out that since guitar speakers can only reproduce to like 6k hertz or close to that, using the global hi-cut and lo-cut filters you can make it kinda behave more like an amp and guitar speakers. The unit sounded much better after doing this to my ears anyways.

Couple things to consider with the tones in that video.

1. It's probably dialed in to stick out in a modern metal mix alongside two other high gain guitars in a band where all the guitars plus the bass and drums are all being dialed to sound as big as possible. Probably not a ton of sonic real estate available, so that weird upper-mid resonance is very likely needed in order to be heard at all in that context.

2. There is nothing inherent about the Axe-Fx that forces your tone to have that weird upper mid resonance. Most of the high gain amp models themselves sound almost indistinguishable from the real thing if you're not playing them, and the Axe-Fx 3 has almost literally a dozen blocks available per patch that adjust EQ if you want to get weird, so you can make pretty much anything as smooth or harsh or peaky as you want.

The Axe-Fx really doesn't have "a sound" anymore like it used to 10 years ago. Not every not-perfect-in-isolation guitar tone it produces is direct evidence that it inherently sounds "digital" or bad. They're flexible enough that if the tone is bad, it's either that way because you're hearing it outside the context of how it was dialed in... or the user just doesn't know what they're doing lol.

Last edited:
Couple things to consider with the tones in that video.

1. It's probably dialed in to stick out in a modern metal mix alongside two other high gain guitars in a band where all the guitars plus the bass and drums are all being dialed to sound as big as possible. Probably not a ton of sonic real estate available, so that weird upper-mid resonance is very likely needed in order to be heard at all in that context.

2. There is nothing inherent about the Axe-Fx that forces your tone to have that weird upper mid resonance. Most of the high gain amp models themselves sound almost indistinguishable from the real thing if you're not playing them, and the Axe-Fx 3 has almost literally a dozen blocks available per patch that adjust EQ if you want to get weird, so you can make pretty much anything as smooth or harsh or peaky as you want.

The Axe-Fx really doesn't have "a sound" anymore like it used to 10 years ago. Not every not-perfect-in-isolation guitar tone it produces is direct evidence that it inherently sounds "digital" or bad. They're flexible enough that if the tone is bad, it's either that way because you're hearing it outside the context of how it was dialed in... or the user just doesn't know what they're doing lol.
Exactly. I've had many a sound man give me compliments on my tone. I keep it simple. I push a heavy amount of mids to cut thru the mix.

I am not against modelers at all...But many times the higher gain tones seem to have this really strange upper mid / high end quality to them that's not particularly appealing in my estimation.. I have noticed this recently with Metallica's live sounds as well, and it is very apparent in the video below. I'm not much of a modeler guy (I own a POD/Helix Go). Do you guys notice this strange tonality in these frequencies as well? Maybe I'm just getting old and not keeping up with what sounds good these days. Not trying to start an argument here, just want to know if others are hearing what I'm hearing?

That doesn't sound bad at all...it's nauseatingly awful

it dosent sound very exciting to me, but i would think to work live at the tunings they use some weird frequencies might be needed to work. i never really listened to these guys much, i gotta see whats up
Right. My band uses C standard/Drop Bb. Normal tones sound like crap tuned that low.

I have zero clue on how anyone using the axe 3 can’t get great tones like, immediately out of it. It literally behaves like the amps it models, so dial them in the way you would in real life. Most people who have used digital products even alittle bit know what IR’s they like, so then use them. It’s not rocket science in the least. I’ve posted tons of tones from the axe from sabbath to death metal, and ain’t no body gonna say they “sound digital”. If so, I encourage you to put your money where your mouth is and allow me to fool the fuck out of you in the “which is the real amp and which is digital” battle :)

Of course no one likes these tones here, it's not wanky 80's riffs through a Marshall 😉
OlIMIPJ.gif

I have zero clue on how anyone using the axe 3 can’t get great tones like, immediately out of it. It literally behaves like the amps it models, so dial them in the way you would in real life. Most people who have used digital products even alittle bit know what IR’s they like, so then use them. It’s not rocket science in the least. I’ve posted tons of tones from the axe from sabbath to death metal, and ain’t no body gonna say they “sound digital”. If so, I encourage you to put your money where your mouth is and allow me to fool the fuck out of you in the “which is the real amp and which is digital” battle :)
Most people try to get Amp in the room feel with it. That's not what it excells at.

I used to own a Splawn Quickrod. I can get tones that easily duplicate myn old live tones.

I think it's just how Periphery dials them. They sound like that through real amps as well.

And Metallica's live tone, I don't know. But if they sound like they do on record... I mean... let's just say they don't sound anything like they did in the 80's and 90's. But I don't think that's the gear to blame.

Guitar sounds are like opinions and assholes....everbody's got one...some are shitty..and some aren't.

IDGAF what your sound comes from...if it sounds good..it is good...weather me or anyone else likes it or not.

And just for perspective..with a little mod..

“THIS IS MY SOUND. THERE ARE MANY LIKE IT BUT THIS ONE’S MINE. MY SOUND IS MY BEST FRIEND. IT IS MY LIFE. I MUST MASTER IT AS I MUST MASTER MY GUITAR. WITHOUT ME, MY SOUND IS USELESS. WITHOUT MY SOUND, I AM USELESS. I MUST DIAL MY SOUND TRUE.

1718674313504.png

Back