Does this look totaled to you? Anyone here an insurance adjuster or otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts?

• Thread starter Thread starter War_in_D
  • Start date Start date
As someone who has been schooled in paint and body work I'd be willing to bet a twenty spot that rig is a total loss. i would bet more, but I was schooled in paint and body so I don't have more to bet. It's salvageable if you had a frame straightening rack and tools but I seriously doubt that car is worth more than what it is gonna cost to fix it. It's toast. Sorry brother. Glad nobody was hurt bad but everyone in the car should be getting checked out because things show up hours and days later that your mind overrides when the adrenaline is flowing. Please get everyone looked at.

Good advice, my wife and I have already been to the doctor earlier this week to get everything documented. We go back in another two weeks to get another check up. Our daughter, on the other hand has pretty much refused to take our granddaughter to the doctor. We've even offered to take her, but she won't do it. We don't understand it, but it is what it is I guess and we can't really force her.

Thanks for your insight! From talking to my adjuster, she seems to think it's totaled too. Of course, she's not the one that makes that decision since she is the injury adjuster.

My adjuster called me yesterday, and said the guy that hit me only has the state required minimum coverage for Missouri ($25K). So, if there is more property damage than that (plus the tow bill and storage so far), then I would have to sue the guy personally to get the money. The police report still hasn't been filed so their insurance won't claim liability yet, and we have to square up with the tow vendor and get the car off their lot by Monday so I guess I'm going to let my insurance kick in and handle this. They're going to pay the tow vendor, and move the car up to the Copart lot in Springfield, Mo. Once they do that, I can access it and get some stuff we forgot to take out on the day of the accident. I can also have independent repair shops take a look to get damage estimates, etc.. I talked to my sister who was an insurance agent in Atlanta for years, she said to just let my insurance have it so they can get me paid, and then let them duke it out with the other guys insurance to recoup their money. So, it looks like that's the route I'm going for now. I'm going to talk to my local insurance agent today, to see how that will affect my coverage going forward (will premiums increase, etc.).

Well, it's officially totaled. Getting the police report has been ridiculously difficult. I guess that Carfax manages a lot of police department's accident reports through a website called Crashdocs. That's where I was directed to get the report from, but after 10 business days it still wasn't there. Called Springfield PD to see what they could do, and they tell me that Crashdocs is broken and I have to submit a paper request that cost me $3 and takes 2-4 weeks to get. Un-F'in-believable! I mailed off for the paper copy on Monday.

My adjuster texted me yesterday, saying that they finally got the report and emailed it to me today. Statement from the guy that hit us said that he was distracted by his kids in the back seat and didn't see me until he was about to hit me. I'm calling BS, and still think the guy was on his phone but whatever. Working with my insurance now to get a cash value on our car. Their first offer came in at a bit over $26K, but that's light considering what it's going to cost me to replace it. I'm just glad the adjuster recommended letting them take over, if I had to rely on the other insurance it would have capped out at $25K and I would have to personally sued the guy for the rest. This way, my insurance covers me, and THEY get to sue him for whatever they have to over the $25K limit he has. It's gonna suck to be him by the time this is all over, that's for sure. LOL

Well, it's officially totaled. Getting the police report has been ridiculously difficult. I guess that Carfax manages a lot of police department's accident reports through a website called Crashdocs. That's where I was directed to get the report from, but after 10 business days it still wasn't there. Called Springfield PD to see what they could do, and they tell me that Crashdocs is broken and I have to submit a paper request that cost me $3 and takes 2-4 weeks to get. Un-F'in-believable! I mailed off for the paper copy on Monday.

My adjuster texted me yesterday, saying that they finally got the report and emailed it to me today. Statement from the guy that hit us said that he was distracted by his kids in the back seat and didn't see me until he was about to hit me. I'm calling BS, and still think the guy was on his phone but whatever. Working with my insurance now to get a cash value on our car. Their first offer came in at a bit over $26K, but that's light considering what it's going to cost me to replace it. I'm just glad the adjuster recommended letting them take over, if I had to rely on the other insurance it would have capped out at $25K and I would have to personally sued the guy for the rest. This way, my insurance covers me, and THEY get to sue him for whatever they have to over the $25K limit he has. It's gonna suck to be him by the time this is all over, that's for sure. LOL

Glad to see this moving in a positive direction for you. People are going to people. Sucks that your insurance premium will probably go up.
But the best case scenario has already happened; you and your family walked away healthy. ❤️

Absolutely! Could have been much worse. I spoke to my insurance agent before committing to letting them take it, and she said that she didn't think it would raise my insurance since it was the other person's fault. But I guess that will remain to be seen.

Yep thats totaled. Insurance / body shops dont wanna fix any vehicle older than 7 years.
"Totaled" basically means the repairs cost more the the value of the vehicle.
And there are many different metrics to figure that.

Back