Eb tuning, pros and cons...

• Thread starter Thread starter supersonic
  • Start date Start date
Being a lead singer and guitarist, I have opinions on both sides. I always play a half step down and the same in dropped (Eb and drop Db) for most of the stuff I write so that it's a little easier on my pipes.

THIS. Makes it easier for male vocalists to hit the money spots. I know personally when i sing and play guitar Eb is a lot more comfortable for me. The lows seem swankier and the highs are not all nasally. Just a half step makes a diff! Guitar wise i think the strings sit just a tad looser which allows for greater dynamics and vibrato. Prob the reason most of your favourite rock albums aren't in standard tuning. A lot of them seem to me to be in Eb.

I play in both E and Eb. I keep several guitars tuned to each. I don't go any lower than Eb. I don't really have a preference I just did it because Randy on Diary has a few tracks in Eb and EVH, Yngwie etc. used it. VH in E doesn't sound right ;)

Funny you hear droppin tuning to make it easier on the singer but you never hear we play super slow tempo to make it easier on the drummer and bassist or we only play in E and A to make it easier on the guitarist who only can play in two keys lol

After gigging for over 30 years and usually 2-4 nights a week (3-4 sets) I can say that tuning to Eb saved my band. Vocalists were able to do their gigs consistently and my joints survived. For a bunch of those years I was using 10-52's, developed severe tennis elbow and a M&M sized ganglion cyst(wrist) to the point that I really thought guitar was over for me. Back down to Eb and 9-42's and changed strap position no more tennis elbow, cyst disappeared.

For me the question is playing or not playing....I'll choose Eb 9-42's and playing. Van Halen and so many of my other favs use 9-42s and Eb. All you guys using huge strings tell me how it works for you when you're 50, that is if you gig 2-3 times a week for 30 years and do any full step bends :)

Mark

I have one band that plays in E, one plays in Eb. So I keep guitars tuned to each. It's enough of a difference that you really need to have guitars dedicated to that tuning and also to have intonation and truss rod set for them.

When I was doing the Sabbath tribute, I had to take an E, an Eb and a friggin' Db guitar to each gig, and took two of each so I had a backup - six guitars! What a pain in the ass. My main guitar for the E stuff is a 24.75" scale Tom Anderson drop top, for Eb it's a 25.5" scale Tom Anderson drop top. Not quite the same feel but pretty close!

Pete

i play 10.5s and 11s in standard and you dudes are using 10s and even 9s for Eb

yikes!

Mark Day":72vaav85 said:
After gigging for over 30 years and usually 2-4 nights a week (3-4 sets) I can say that tuning to Eb saved my band. Vocalists were able to do their gigs consistently and my joints survived. For a bunch of those years I was using 10-52's, developed severe tennis elbow and a M&M sized ganglion cyst(wrist) to the point that I really thought guitar was over for me. Back down to Eb and 9-42's and changed strap position no more tennis elbow, cyst disappeared.

For me the question is playing or not playing....I'll choose Eb 9-42's and playing. Van Halen and so many of my other favs use 9-42s and Eb. All you guys using huge strings tell me how it works for you when you're 50, that is if you gig 2-3 times a week for 30 years and do any full step bends :)

Mark

Stevie Ray did it for over 20 years on 12's-14's with some seriously high action. If you watch his last ACL performance, he never slowed down, if anything he sped up. Bonamassa does it with 11's and 12's, again with some seriously high action, and has for around 20 years. He hasn't slowed down (although he admits he now has to warm up). Pat Martino has been playing for decades on 14's. Moral of the story is that the large strings don't affect everyone the same. It's like smoking. Some people can do it for 10 years and get lung cancer, other people can do it for 60 and never so much as a hacking cough.

I hate the lighter strings being 9 gauge as i don't feel like i am hitting much but totally cool with a mixed set of 10-13-16(even thinking of 15!) 24-32-42. It is all preference and hand strength. Whatever gives you the dynamics you want, it isn't about being a big boy and rippin the 12 gauges! Doesn't Malmsteen use 8's and tunes to Eb?? That's noodles right there but yet he still has the F U R Y! The problem with mixed set is cost wise you pay more..

Mark Day":262k3xv1 said:

Mark

Thankfully, I developed a "wrist work out" when I was around 13 that has seemed to alleviate all of these symptoms.

Mark Day":fhnke2lk said:

Mark
The style that you play really suits 9-42 in Eb, it's hard to get that type of wide 80s' vibrato with thicker strings in Std tuning.

I have guitars in both E and Eb all 9-42... Depending on what I'm playing I pick up one or the other. Difference in feel is minimal to me, but I don't have a preference, except to match the tuning of the material I'm playing. VH sounds better tuned down the half step...

Steve

My only complaint is that the 9 and 11 flap a little too much and feel like spaghetti. 9.5's are perfect but so far i have not liked the tone of the boomers i tried in that gauge.

10-46 in E standard. 11-49 top wrapped for E flat on my Les Paul. Playing wise, I feel a slight difference. Singing wise... huge difference.

I tune one of my guitars to Eb using an .080...

It's a 30.2" 8 string though :D

I also like tuning my 6's down to Eb(1/2 step) with either 9's or 10's. It changes every other time I change strings. My axis 1/2 step down with 9-50's feels really good to me.

supersonic":1zt6h4ih said:
Mark Day":1zt6h4ih said:

Mark
The style that you play really suits 9-42 in Eb, it's hard to get that type of wide 80s' vibrato with thicker strings in Std tuning.

It's THE only way to get VH and 80's rock tones IMO

Anybody tried 9-42 (in Eb) on a Les Paul? I'm toying with the idea

zz666":rkuhkyo4 said:
Anybody tried 9-42 (in Eb) on a Les Paul? I'm toying with the idea
It didn't work for me on a LP, works on a strat scale better.

10-46 Eb forever.. ever since i heard VH1... well 9's back then.. moved to 10's in the 80's.
I really hate the sound of E, the guitar sounds so much better in Eb, feels better, like it's supposed to be there.
If I have to I use 9-42 in E.

Back