Ed, can you step in please

• Thread starter Thread starter tweed
  • Start date Start date
tweed
tweed
Would it be possible for you to make a quick vid clip on playing "Improv over any of the C major backings with the C major/A minor pentatonic on 1 string. Start on the G string and learn the notes on that string. THen go to the C major scale, do the same on the other strings."?

Im having a hard time picturing this in my head. And what I mean is, I don't think this would sound all that great, but maybe its not the point. Seems like there would be a lot of sliding going on.

Sorry , sitting here at work trying to visualize this one and all I can see is crawling note by note up the string which would sound pretty awful.

He means use the notes in the A minor pentatonic (A C D E G A) all on the G string.

A is on the 2nd fret of the G, and just go from there.

You'll notice the notes in A minor penatonic are all contained in C major.

can i ask why you wanna hear this? lol

you been readin mick goodricks book or what? yes as cloudnine said all the notes in the A minor Pent would be Contained in a C major scale as well. It will work. The A minor Pent Against a Cmajor chord will give you.....for lack of better words.... an "Allman Bros" sound.

Ed.....do not bother with this request, any IT guy worth the salt in his piss would have a guitar stashed in the data center. :D

Dude, instead of playing the scale from say the low E 8th fret go ahead and just find the notes on one string, going up and down the fret board.

Sorry fellas, sitting here at work wishing I had a guitar to practice with. Maybe I've had to much coffee already today lol.

Stratboy151":2898c said:

you been readin mick goodricks book or what? yes as cloudnine said all the notes in the A minor Pent would be Contained in a C major scale as well. It will work. The A minor Pent Against a Cmajor chord will give you.....for lack of better words.... an "Allman Bros" sound.

wasn't so much this particular example I was curious about, it was really the one string approach. Should have worded it better. Having a hard time getting my brain around traveling the length of the fretboard on one string and making it sound good.

It probably wont sound that good, it's just a decent exercise for learning the fretboard, something I'm just beginning to get a handle on.

cloudnine":6e740 said:
It probably wont sound that good, it's just a decent exercise for learning the fretboard, something I'm just beginning to get a handle on.

You could make it sound great with the right bends, vibrato, trills, and killer boogie sustain :)

Yeah, not my first choice but it could sound good.

Digital Jams":f0143 said:
You could make it sound great with the right bends, vibrato, trills, and killer boogie sustain :)

Yeah, not my first choice but it could sound good.

Bah, boogie sustain is for homo's like Harry :D

Seriously? Where is the difference in terms of whether you go horizontal or vertical across the board? Still the same notes following each other.

I reckon I can break out the webcam tonight...

degenaro":6a910 said:
Seriously? Where is the difference in terms of whether you go horizontal or vertical across the board? Still the same notes following each other.

I reckon I can break out the webcam tonight...

Guess i never thought of it that way Ed.

tweed":548d4 said:
Guess i never thought of it that way Ed.

Ever play a line with pulling off note to the open string and moving up and down the fret board. The middle section of Satch's Boogie thing comes to mind.

Stratboy151":0f25c said:

The it would have to be done with one finger and no bends.
I can tell you why I told Scott to do it, so he can start getting a handle on note location on the fret board.
Come to think of it Scott here's something you might want to do...
Pick a chord...say G7. then start calling out intervals...up b7, down a 5, up a 3 etc...
And pay attention how they sound against the chord. So pl;ay the chord and while you still rember the chord play the note. Or just record the chord and play it on top.

Digital Jams":57224 said:
Ed.....do not bother with this request, any IT guy worth the salt in his piss would have a guitar stashed in the data center. :D

That reminds me, I have some metronome work to do on my lunch hour :x

degenaro":6b143 said:
Ever play a line with pulling off note to the open string and moving up and down the fret board. The middle section of Satch's Boogie thing comes to mind.

Vai does this as well.

Shiny_Surface":3ad8a said:
That reminds me, I have some metronome work to do on my lunch hour :x

I just worked out the minor pentatonic at my desk with my guitar :D

Tweed is just a n00b :lol: :D

Digital Jams":4d0f6 said:
Vai does this as well.
Everybody does it. Shit, gary moore used to play the national Anthem of whatever country he was in with pulling off to the G string 30 years ago. :)

Back