Ed, can you step in please

• Thread starter Thread starter tweed
  • Start date Start date
Digital Jams":b6fa1 said:
I just worked out the minor pentatonic at my desk with my guitar :D

Tweed is just a n00b :lol: :D

Im drawing up a paper guitar right now, so I don't feel left out and stuff.

Does that count?

steve vai also regularly wails up and down on one string. im sure you know exactly what i mean scott.

now as far as this single string stuff, ok its fine i suppose, but i would recommend you guys start learning each mode in "Position" first, rather than on single strings. Its obviously harder to apply a single string and make great solos than it is a whole position of a scale/mode. i have a useful chart of all the major and minor modes for you all. i should scan that...

degenaro":aa608 said:
What kinda metronome work are you doing?

My previous guitar teacher gave me some exercises he learned at GIT.

Playing 2 notes per beat (8th notes?) for a 4 measures, then 3 notes per beat for 4 measure, then 4 notes per beat per measure (16 notes?).

First on one string and then across 3 strings playing a fragment of any mode of your choosing and then steadily bumping up the BPM until you can't play it cleanly anymore.

I know I'm not explaining it right I'd have to make a video of it or something lol :).

Stratboy151":962a9 said:
steve vai also regularly wails up and down on one string. im sure you know exactly what i mean scott.

now as far as this single string stuff, ok its fine i suppose, but i would recommend you guys start learning each mode in "Position" first, rather than on single strings. Its obviously harder to apply a single string and make great solos than it is a whole position of a scale/mode. i have a useful chart of all the major and minor modes for you all. i should scan that...

John, the single string was for me to learn the fretboard..I am having issues due to me never learning the fretboard. I brought it up in the wrong thread and Ed posted his thoughts.

Single note lesson from Mr. Vai bitches :x \M/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZSxaL_ELKE

2:24 through 2:44...hell yeah I love this new forum :bang: :rock:

a cool thing to do with the 'nome is to practice with it on beats 2 + 4, to get a more realistic feel to your playing. of course every beat a drummer does doesnt stress 2 + 4 but alot do.

another interesting thing to do with it is have the click only once per bar, your choice of what beat, lets says beat 1 for now. so you will only hear a click on the downbeat of each bar, make you work that much harder keeping the beat. if you get real good at this you can slow it down so that you only hear that click once every TWO bars, this gets tricky, but again really makes you work to stay in time.

Stratboy151":2985b said:

To learn modes...yes. To learn the fretboard...no.
Actually on second thought... for total fretboard control I'd say take a 4 fret area say frets 1-4 (no open strings) and make sure you know every note for every scale, mode, lick, line, chord, etc...in that area. Got that master...move the fretboard area up a fret (frets 2-5 and do the same thing over).

Stratboy151":7cb92 said:
a cool thing to do with the 'nome is to practice with it on beats 2 + 4, to get a more realistic feel to your playing. of course every beat a drummer does doesnt stress 2 + 4 but alot do.

another interesting thing to do with it is have the click only once per bar, your choice of what beat, lets says beat 1 for now. so you will only hear a click on the downbeat of each bar, make you work that much harder keeping the beat. if you get real good at this you can slow it down so that you only hear that click once every TWO bars, this gets tricky, but again really makes you work to stay in time.
Friend of mine did that so extreme he had the metronome click every four bars...he got amazing pocket.
the clicking on the back beat damn near killed me when i first tried it.

degenaro":133ad said:
To learn modes...yes. To learn the fretboard...no.
Actually on second thought... for total fretboard control I'd say take a 4 fret area say frets 1-4 (no open strings) and make sure you know every note for every scale, mode, lick, line, chord, etc...in that area. Got that master...move the fretboard area up a fret (frets 2-5 and do the same thing over).

yeah i agree 100% with the 4 fret method. and as far as 4 bars per 1 click on the 'nome, damn!

Stratboy151":1257f said:
yeah i agree 100% with the 4 fret method. and as far as 4 bars per 1 click on the 'nome, damn!
Plus the 4 fret thing insures that the 3 notes per string patterns won't happen.

Digital Jams":61b35 said:
Huh?????? What is wrong with 3 notes per string?
Nothing wrong with it per se. Except folks tend to use it to get up to speed with a pattern...and that becomes predictable fast.
Lines...not patterns!!!!

Digital Jams":afbbd said:
Huh?????? What is wrong with 3 notes per string?

Accomplished players avoid it I've noticed.

Also when you alternate pick 4 notes per string, the next string you will land on is a downstroke and not an upstroke which some may consider an advantage.

Oh I see, gang up on the Gilbert what-a-be I see huh :x

Ed and I will discuss this over some starch in NYC next month :)

Digital Jams":2d8a7 said:
Oh I see, gang up on the Gilbert what-a-be I see huh :x

Ed and I will discuss this over some starch in NYC next month :)
I got a Chinese laundry ready and waiting for you!

Digital Jams":2f49a said:
John, the single string was for me to learn the fretboard..I am having issues due to me never learning the fretboard. I brought it up in the wrong thread and Ed posted his thoughts.

Single note lesson from Mr. Vai bitches :x \M/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZSxaL_ELKE

2:24 through 2:44...hell yeah I love this new forum :bang: :rock:

That video kicked all kinds of ass!!

Back