Eddie’s Most Difficult Riff

• Thread starter Thread starter PurityS.L.G
  • Start date Start date
He’s got a few that are hard to nail perfectly. I don’t feel so bad seeing Satch do the Meanstreets intro. He sort of got it but not really.

Here’s another that’s a bitch:

I would think "Get Up" would be one of the hardest to nail.

The intro to Take Your Whiskey is a mutha to get that signature Eddie bounce just right.

I love Satch, but man he struggled with that. Poor tone too, really gainy and compressed.
Yeah totally agree. He used the Fender modeler and it makes you wonder if he just got it for the Stern gig.

I suspect with more time and rehearsal his tone and groove will get better. He sounded REALLY stiff. But, he’s f’ing Joe Satriani, so I bet he will rise to the challenge.

The first fast lick in I'm the One intro is pretty tough to nail. Intro to Hang 'Em High is tricky, but can be mastered. Shuffle timing in Sinners Swing is tricky. My vote probably goes to most of the parts in Girl Gone Bad. But then Top Jimmy has some tricks too, as well as the Drop Dead Legs outro. VH albums are a target rich environment for tricky, challenging stuff.

Yeah totally agree. He used the Fender modeler and it makes you wonder if he just got it for the Stern gig.

I suspect with more time and rehearsal his tone and groove will get better. He sounded REALLY stiff. But, he’s f’ing Joe Satriani, so I bet he will rise to the challenge.
I hope you are right. especially for those that shell out to go to the shows. Joe is super talented but like people always say - you will sound like you no matter what. My feeling is that he won't get there. As great of a guitar player as he is, I just don't see him copping EVH.

Also, I don't buy that he just learned these songs. Guitarist like him excel at learning other people's stuff.

It really sucks they took the easy path and just handed it to joe instead of al estrada who is an EVH scholar.Complete nepotism and laziness

I hope you are right. especially for those that shell out to go to the shows. Joe is super talented but like people always say - you will sound like you no matter what. My feeling is that he won't get there. As great of a guitar player as he is, I just don't see him copping EVH.
Joe just needs to refine the rhythms. The leads are fine—that is his forte and he will be in his element there. I just hope he doesn’t try to replicate Eddie’s leads, but does his own spin/stamp.

I think I would agree with this

Jake from Incognito, a cover band here in DFW, covers it most excellently.
They also go by InHalen, when they're just doing Van Halen tunes. That dude can play anything, and sound like the record.

Back