Educate me on Swamp ash for Higain?

• Thread starter Thread starter veji
  • Start date Start date
For me with humbucker guitars mahogany and alder are my 2 overall favorites, but I have great ones too in poplar, rosewood and spruce bodies and even all aluminum and carbon fiber. Ash and Basswood I still yet to find good ones
I love alder..mahogany is bit dark

Im a big mahogany fan, as well as alder personally. Maple tops add alittle bit of brightness in my experience. Jackson, ESP, PRS, les Paul’s, all with mahogany or alder bodies is what I’m into personally!
What neck wood do you like with alder

I love alder..mahogany is bit dark
Darker than others, but it can vary. The main reason mahogany is my favorite is for its growl. IME no other wood gives the growl on powerchords the way mahogany does (alder is smoother sounding). Closest I’ve heard was this purpleheart body guitar I had and some poplar guitars, but still not on the level of a good honduran mahogany’s growl/roar. One of my darkest sounding guitars I have currently actually is alder, but otherwise my other alder guitar are brighter sounding than my mahogany ones. It’s a real shame spruce (or also port orford cedar/cypress) isn’t more commonly used as a body wood. That has IME has the most tonal complexity, clarity and good brightness

I can’t do all alder. It’s got a frequency bump in the mids that reminds me of how V30s respond. I much prefer alder with a maple top. Way more balanced and aggressive.

On the opposite I prefer raw basswood over basswood with a maple top (Wolfgang special vs Wolfgang standard). The former sounds more musical and the latter has always sounded dull to me.

Mahogany is thick and very musical.

I can’t do all alder. It’s got a frequency bump in the mids that reminds me of how V30s respond. I much prefer alder with a maple top. Way more balanced and aggressive.

On the opposite I prefer raw basswood over basswood with a maple top (Wolfgang special vs Wolfgang standard). The former sounds more musical and the latter has always sounded dull to me.

Basswood seems to get a bad rap for some reason. I gigged a basswood bodied axe for longer than any other guitar I owned. Old 80’s JB was a perfect match with it.

Basswood seems to get a bad rap for some reason. I gigged a basswood bodied axe for longer than any other guitar I owned. Old 80’s JB was a perfect match with it.
I have no problem with the sound of basswood but I find poplar more fun to play. I’d say both are on par with one another.

Interesting that you say that about Basswood with maple tops. I have always love the Guitar sound of Satriani/older Petrucci/Older Vai and most of those were done with Basswood guitar w/o any maple tops.

Interesting that you say that about Basswood with maple tops. I have always love the Guitar sound of Satriani/older Petrucci/Older Vai and most of those were done with Basswood guitar w/o any maple tops.
Yep I just don’t know why but maple and basswood do not get along in my experience. I’d rather have one or the other individually, and my back prefers basswood.

years ago I spent over 11k on a 50th anni les paul...#32 of 50...figured Koa top and flamed maple back and neck. Sounded almost identical to my r7 black beauty. Boy was I dumb.

Back